Week 4 updates

-oo-

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

True...then the other 5% stay thru halftime the watch their kid perform then immediately leave and couldn't care less about the game.....ive witnessed this many times....those 95% do other things during halftime like restroom,get something to eat or just stand around shooting the bull with buddies

The first time we went to a game at Sebastian River HS in Florida a few years ago, they had a really nice crowd, which was unusual for down here with the exception of a couple of schools. Then the Sebastian River band came out to do the anthem and fight song as the players ran through. The band was huge. Not Dobyns-Bennett huge, but really, really big. They performed at the half. Put on a great halftime show....and when it was over, people started leaving like a bomb threat had been announced.

45 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

The first time we went to a game at Sebastian River HS in Florida a few years ago, they had a really nice crowd, which was unusual for down here with the exception of a couple of schools. Then the Sebastian River band came out to do the anthem and fight song as the players ran through. The band was huge. Not Dobyns-Bennett huge, but really, really big. They performed at the half. Put on a great halftime show....and when it was over, people started leaving like a bomb threat had been announced.

Yep..most couldn't care less about the band...including me to be honest

5 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I'm going to disagree.  Tony is a great coach.  He turned a program around which had been decimated in no time flat.  What is his record?  Something like 65-10?  That is insanely good.  He has surrounded himself with an excellent staff also.  

I agree with you, Tony is a great coach with an excellent support staff, is Graham undisciplined at times, yes. Poor clock management that last possession of 1st half last night, yes. Leave points on the board sometimes, yes. In the grand scheme of  things , most programs have those issues from time to time. You can have all the talent in the world but a bad coach doesn’t have that kind of record and doubtful a truly bad coach wins state championship. His coaching style may not appeal to some but I’d put him & his staff up against any other staff in SWVA. He’s got quality people working with him. I’m by no means a Palmer “fanatic” but I think Graham has definitely benefited with him at the helm. He is a genuinely nice guy/class act & our boys love him. 

8 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Also what happens when you pillage athletes from other schools...

Talent has carried him a long way further than his coaching abilities in my opinion.  I'm not saying he is a bad coach by any means but I'm not ready to put him at that upper echelon just yet.

We have had lots of the same equal or greater talent wasted over the past 15 years at least.  Harris is a good coach but let's see him use the talent that is there and make a real threat.  Injury adversity has struck over the past 3 years so anybody can get a pass on that.  I'm still holding out for judgement on him for now.  I will say he is the best coach we have had in a long time though.

Pillage from other schools??? Dafuq you talkin ‘bout Willis?

If kids move to your school district because they want to play for a different school, I’m assuming you tell those kids no? 

“We have our teams set, so please do not move to our community and want to play sports!” Is that your motto? 

Nope, Tazewell motto is “We will hold you back in 8th grade and hopefully we can beat 15-17 year olds when we’re 19-20!”

Tazewell is the only HS I know of that needs to declare if their players are “True Freshmen” or “Redshirt Seniors”

People want to play for winning teams and winning coaches, e.g., Appo, LB, etc. Coach Palmer and Graham are no different now. When you set the tone with a tradition of winning, kids want to come and be part of winning and competing annually.

Might explain why kids don’t transfer into Tazewell.

5 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

From Grahams outstanding radio crew....

Keeping stats while doing PBP is no joke.  I often double-check myself against the BDT or BHC (when I’m not the one supplying them myself), and I’m proud to say I come pretty doggone close.  Never perfect, but close.

3 hours ago, JDHoss said:

This was essentially what happened at JMU until the program became elite in the FCS in the mid-2000s.