Week 4 updates

-oo-

Just now, Hokies1977 said:

I’ve been telling people all year that Richlands is not a good team. They’ll be lucky to win 3 games. @Fairlawncat you need to watch more football this Richlands team is no where near the contender you told people they were. 

Or is it a combination of Abingdon being really good, and Richlands not being as good as we usually expect.

9 hours ago, GMan said:

Fact, 95% of the people that buy tickets to sporting events buy them to see the teams play said sport, not to watch the band at halftime.  The band is allowed to perform during the time the teams aren't playing. 

I just don’t get why you 💩 on bands and cheerleaders all the time man. They work their tails off, too. They’re kids trying to have some fun. There’s no need to disparage them and make it seem like they don’t matter, IMO. 

1 minute ago, Wolf1207 said:

Or is it a combination of Abingdon being really good, and Richlands not being as good as we usually expect.

Abindgon is very good. Richlands has 0 heart, 0 effort and 0 toughness. It is what it is at this point. You can’t change those things mid-week during practice. 

Just now, EH31 said:

I know I don’t go to a football game just to watch the band or cheerleaders but I also know that I would go to a lot less of them if they weren’t there.

Atmosphere is what makes football games so fun. 

This. We go to watch a football game, ultimately. But without the atmosphere and the pageantry that everything else brings, it’s just not the same. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I just don’t get why you 💩 on bands and cheerleaders all the time man. They work their tails off, too. They’re kids trying to have some fun. There’s no need to disparage them and make it seem like they don’t matter, IMO. 

Especially with how good Graham’s band has historically been. It seems like he would be more appreciative of what band kids do. Just an observation. 

It is what it is. 

1 hour ago, Hokies1977 said:

Richlands is in their Doug Marrs/Mike Williams years. It’s gonna get a lot uglier with the schedule they have too. 

Marion & tazewell are the only winnable games left. Marion for sure win - Bulldogs who knows?

Tazewell could be a tough game.

3 minutes ago, Hokies1977 said:

Richlands is in their Doug Marrs/Mike Williams years. It’s gonna get a lot uglier with the schedule they have too. 

Marion & tazewell are the only winnable games left. Marion for sure win - Bulldogs who knows?

And depending on who is picked up next week, I guess. But if they don’t find some heart down inside them, they have 0 chance against Ridgeview, Virginia High and Crockett. 

4 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

Especially with how good Graham’s band has historically been. It seems like he would be more appreciative of what band kids do. Just an observation. 

It is what it is. 

Some nights you would hear a pin drop in Mitchell Stadium if it wasn’t for Graham’s band. 

17 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I am a die hard sports fan,and I used to be ignorant. My eldest played football and baseball,and my youngest played the baritone in the marching band. Man oh man did I get an education. In football you can make a mistake and still win. You do not have to be perfect. In a band competition if your toe is 1/4 an inch off target you will lose the competition. Marching in the blazing sun in black poly unis hotter than Southern hell toting a big arse instrument (and if you've never packed a bass drum or timpani you don't appreciate the effort). I used to have the jock mentality. These days I'm much wiser. I have every bit as much respect for the band kids than the players (maybe more). They bust their humps to play for us. They deserve nothing but our utmost respect.

Unions Band kicks butt,some bands just beat their drums, cause noise, but Union plays loud Music, I don’t like the long haired stuff . If you ever seen Surrys’ band they put on a show even in 3 inch deep mud like they did at State finals against Appalachia in Big Stone Gap,many years ago