Week 4 updates

-oo-

47 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

2012(I think) Wythe beat Clintwood in the State Championship 

It was 2011 clintwood beat us in the semifinal game. 2012 we beat Honaker to win the state title.

3 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Ahhh that’s right. I forgot about Honaker 

The sweetest thing about that 2011 Clintwood team and the 2012 GW team was the following week, they both went east with huge fan turnouts to semifinal games after a week of internet chatter about how we had zero chance and came away with wins.

To sweeten the pot, 2011 Galax and 2012 Honaker also took care of business at home in the semis, and we had two years of nothing but west representatives in the 1A title game. 

Giles stole the show in 2013 with a 2A championship to boot.

Absolutely my favorite stretch of time as a high school football fan.  

7 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

The sweetest thing about that 2011 Clintwood team and the 2012 GW team was the following week, they both went east with huge fan turnouts to semifinal games after a week of internet chatter about how we had zero chance and came away with wins.

To sweeten the pot, 2011 Galax and 2012 Honaker also took care of business at home in the semis, and we had two years of nothing but west representatives in the 1A title game. 

Good times for sure! 

1 hour ago, gwloyal said:

The year clintwood beat you guys you all had them beat and special teams cost you the game.  

6 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

The year clintwood beat you guys you all had them beat and special teams cost you the game.  

We had 6 turnovers that day. Some should absolutely be credited to Clintwood, but you cannot win when you do that. It’s a miracle the final was as close as it was. That 2011 team was much, much better than what we had in 2012. I’ll die on that hill lol 

it just didn’t work out for that team. And that’s not taking a thing away from our 2012 team. 

9 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

That’s the Clintwood team that just got hot after if I recall got down like 20-0 to Union and just exploded and became a raging inferno the rest of the season!

1 minute ago, Wolf1207 said:

That’s the Clintwood team that just got hot after if I recall got down like 20-0 to Union and just exploded and became a raging inferno the rest of the season!

I dunno about that, but they did lose by 50+ to a Grayson County team that Galax easily handled in the regular season. Clintwood went on to beat Galax in the title game. 

Gavin Meade was the workhorse running back for Clintwood in both ‘11 and ‘12. I distinctly remember a Mullins kid or two also. Great teams! 

4 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Yeah that was a very good clintwood team

1 hour ago, gwloyal said:

I dunno about that, but they did lose by 50+ to a Grayson County team that Galax easily handled in the regular season. Clintwood went on to beat Galax in the title game. 

Gavin Meade was the workhorse running back for Clintwood in both ‘11 and ‘12. I distinctly remember a Mullins kid or two also. Great teams! 

Yes they lost bad to Grayson County early in that season to. I just renewed the Union game because I was at it and remember a lot of games about to mail it in on that team until they just turned it on. 

Those teams were so evenly matched I believe Clintwood and GW would have split evenly if they played 10 game series'.

7 hours ago, gwloyal said:

That was an absolute amazing time to be a football fan from swva.

Didn't post last night, but just in case anyone cares:

Amherst 34, Liberty (Bedford) 0

After jumping out to a 3-0 start, the Minutemen may be hard pressed to win another game until the season finale against Jefferson Forest.  My son didn't dress out because he's been fighting a sinus infection  this week (not Covid -- we have proof).  Which is a shame, because he would have seen a lot of playing time on the kickoff return team.

23 hours ago, gwloyal said:

Always seemed like a Mullins played for clintwood it was always a Mabe at Appalachia

On 9/18/2021 at 7:41 AM, sixcat said:

Hamilton (AZ) was down 24-7 to Bishop Gorman (NV) with 1:09 remaining in the 4th quarter last night.

Hamilton won the game 25-24!!!

Impressive not just for the comeback, but considering who is was against.  Bishop Gorman has become the school for celebrities who have kids who can play major D1 end up going there to play football. Snoop Dogs Son went there and over last 15 years, BG has had a bunch of top 10 national finishes.