Week 4 updates

-oo-

Just getting back to BSG. What a game. Graham had the touchdown on the first play, a punt return TD, and a TD when Union gave them a 10 yard field. Unions defense played very well. Frustrating finish for the bears, yes there were some TERRIBLE calls, but that’s life. Still have chances to win. Obviously the blocked PAT, I thought we should go for 2. If Union finishes the drive instead of fumbling I think it is game over. 4th and 3 at the end, I thought Union should have went for it. I know it’s risky but Graham wanted no part of Lomax. 

Let’s go again in November. 

4 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Gonna have nightmares about Graham's QB kid ran all over the place

I’d say some a bunch of us are going to have nightmares about Lomax especially the night before the next Graham/Union game if we meet again this season.  

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Just getting back to BSG. What a game. Graham had the touchdown on the first play, a punt return TD, and a TD when Union gave them a 10 yard field. Unions defense played very well. Frustrating finish for the bears, yes there were some TERRIBLE calls, but that’s life. Still have chances to win. Obviously the blocked PAT, I thought we should go for 2. If Union finishes the drive instead of fumbling I think it is game over. 4th and 3 at the end, I thought Union should have went for it. I know it’s risky but Graham wanted no part of Lomax. 

Let’s go again in November. 

Him cramping towards the end might've been reason for the punt.  Union had 3 or 4 cramping I guess due to not playing 4 quarters and chasing QB everywhere

49 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’d say some a bunch of us are going to have nightmares about Lomax especially the night before the next Graham/Union game if we meet again this season.  

I think we'll be seeing each other again and hopefully at Mitchell.  Not sure why we play good there maybe the turf.  If Union has home field maybe we can play at uva-wise

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

That’s 100% true — but calling a bunch of 13-18 year old kids dumbasses because they are following the directors of their band directors is uncalled for and disgusting. I was in band. 98% of band members don’t know a thing about football. They play when their told. And to called them dumbasses is way over every line. 

The band director was a band member at one point, so he/she learned it somewhere...

7 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Graham and Union DEAD EVEN in total yards dead even in passing yards dead even in rushing yds. That has to be a first on any football game in the history of football in the USA. Chances of that are 1 in 17 billion. It a tually happened.

This is wrong according to the BDT. 

Union had 304 yards rushing to Graham's 172. Graham had 162 yards passing. Union had 98 yards passing. 

Not saying the BDT is the bastion of accuracy, but it sounds as if it wasn't even close to being even. 

Do you know how to speak the truth? 

30 minutes ago, GMan said:

The band director was a band member at one point, so he/she learned it somewhere...

Most band directors also don't care about football and understand when/how to play. Some do, but a large majority of them just go to games because they have to. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Most band directors also don't care about football and understand when/how to play. Some do, but a large majority of them just go to games because they have to. 

And most football fans don't care about the band director.  Maybe football should be played without them...

29 minutes ago, GMan said:

And most football fans don't care about the band director.  Maybe football should be played without them...

That is a terrible take. Have you ever been to a game with no music? It’s dead. 

32 minutes ago, GMan said:

As a fan , I’d have to say a big no to that concept. Band, cheerleaders… all add to the atmosphere.  Truthfully, Union’s fans were louder than our band when we were calling cadence. 😂😂😂😂 I wish Graham’s fans were as exuberant.  Thank goodness we at least have the student section & band to make some noise. 

45 minutes ago, GMan said:

Athletics are a privilege, not a right within any public school system. While music is still a requirement every school system must offer in some form or fashion. I have two daughters in marching band at Galax. My oldest plays 7 instruments (guitar, mandolin, fiddle, banjo, ukulele, piano and saxophone). She has performed on stage since the age of four with recording artists such as Zach Brown, Kacey Musgraves, Vince Gill, Rhiannon Giddens, Rhonda Vincent, and Old Crow Medicine Show. Most of these band kids put as much work and effort into their craft as any athlete would put into theirs. To dismiss that would be a death-nail to athletics within a public school setting.

Be careful what you wish for!

2 hours ago, GMan said:

That's what happens when a coach wins a state championship...been a long time for Tazewell to understand that...

Also what happens when you pillage athletes from other schools...

Talent has carried him a long way further than his coaching abilities in my opinion.  I'm not saying he is a bad coach by any means but I'm not ready to put him at that upper echelon just yet.

We have had lots of the same equal or greater talent wasted over the past 15 years at least.  Harris is a good coach but let's see him use the talent that is there and make a real threat.  Injury adversity has struck over the past 3 years so anybody can get a pass on that.  I'm still holding out for judgement on him for now.  I will say he is the best coach we have had in a long time though.

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Talent has carried him a long way further than his coaching abilities in my opinion.  I'm not saying he is a bad coach by any means but I'm not ready to put him at that upper echelon just yet.

We have had lots of the same equal or greater talent wasted over the past 15 years at least.  Harris is a good coach but let's see him use the talent that is there and make a real threat.  Injury adversity has struck over the past 3 years so anybody can get a pass on that.  I'm still holding out for judgement on him for now.  I will say he is the best coach we have had in a long time though.

Maybe Tazewell should try the pillage strategy over the 5th year senior strategy they currently use.

Fact, 95% of the people that buy tickets to sporting events buy them to see the teams play said sport, not to watch the band at halftime.  The band is allowed to perform during the time the teams aren't playing. 

7 minutes ago, GMan said:

Fact, 95% of the people that buy tickets to sporting events buy them to see the teams play said sport, not to watch the band at halftime.  The band is allowed to perform during the time the teams aren't playing. 

Title IX doesn't apply to fans in any form or fashion. 

16 minutes ago, GMan said:

True...then the other 5% stay thru halftime the watch their kid perform then immediately leave and couldn't care less about the game.....ive witnessed this many times....those 95% do other things during halftime like restroom,get something to eat or just stand around shooting the bull with buddies

3 hours ago, stu_bean said:

I'm going to disagree.  Tony is a great coach.  He turned a program around which had been decimated in no time flat.  What is his record?  Something like 65-10?  That is insanely good.  He has surrounded himself with an excellent staff also.  

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

This is wrong according to the BDT. 

Union had 304 yards rushing to Graham's 172. Graham had 162 yards passing. Union had 98 yards passing. 

Not saying the BDT is the bastion of accuracy, but it sounds as if it wasn't even close to being even. 

Do you know how to speak the truth? 

Yeah wasn't close not sure where he got his numbers from