Red Rabbit

If Cassius Harris’s stats are accurate (20 rec., 174 yards), that would tie the VHSL record for receptions in a single game.  He’s on pace to finish with the VHSL season reception record and is well within range of the VHSL career reception record.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

If Cassius Harris’s stats are accurate (20 rec., 174 yards), that would tie the VHSL record for receptions in a single game.  He’s on pace to finish with the VHSL season reception record and is well within range of the VHSL career reception record.

I just don't understand why I haven't heard of this kid being highly recruited.  He seems to me like a freakish athlete.  Great length, great hands, great burst and stride.  Heck of a player

22 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I just don't understand why I haven't heard of this kid being highly recruited.  He seems to me like a freakish athlete.  Great length, great hands, great burst and stride.  Heck of a player

I expect it will come. Coastal Carolina, Wake Forest & Virginia Tech have all been in contact with Cassius.

9 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

Still time for his dad to make sure he’s seen

Harris having 20 rec for 174 yards is great and all, but 8.7 yards per catch. In this same game, Cayden Cook-Cash had 10 carries for 222 yds which my non-swva math tells me is 22.2 yards per carry and is indeed greater than 8.7 yard per touch. Also he is a Sophomore (And had these type of games as a Freshman). Also he had 4 Touchdowns. Also his team won by a 'run the clock so we all can get the heck out of here' margin.

Ok, let's look at pass catching: The 2nd guy in the VHSL record book for single game receptions had 372 yards to go with his 19 receptions, which is 19.57 yards per reception. Again, my 'northern' math tells me is over 10 yards per touch better than what happened on Saturday. Riverheads has a senior receiver that has only 9 catches on the season but has 215 yards from them which is 23.9 yards per catch. Maybe the colleges need to come running to look at him since he does more with less opportunities and his effort has been part of 5 wins and 0 losses this season, and the kid has yet to lose a varsity football game.

Nothing against the Harris kid. Hope the best for him. But is it just the swva bias that has people saying why they can't understand why this 150 lbs kid isn't being highly recruited? I watched him have a lot of opportunities. I'm sure you can hand the ball to the same kid 50+ times a game and that might show up in a record book, but what would actually be accomplished? Also, excuse me for not being plugged in, but his last name matches that of the Head Coach. Is that a coincidence or are they family, or should I be polite and not imply maybe that is the reason he got an exaggerated amount of oppurtinutes when it wasn't producing a winning formula in this football game.

Just looked like a long handoff to me. Still in front of the defense and I didn't notice huge yards after the catch. Other than his name being repeated over and over, I didn't even think it stood out at the time. 

I'm sure this will be taken as disrespectful or something, but just pointing at what these numbers really meant. 20 receptions is great but I'd sure like to see about 400 yards to go with it and maybe a trip or two to the endzone before the 4' tall kids were out there on the defense. Heck it was just a few weeks ago against this defense that Lord Botetourt had around 25 yards per reception and had 3 passing touchdowns and were in the game. That is more impressive to me than this. 

Fire Away

34 minutes ago, Tim Wakefield said:

Harris having 20 rec for 174 yards is great and all, but 8.7 yards per catch. In this same game, Cayden Cook-Cash had 10 carries for 222 yds which my non-swva math tells me is 22.2 yards per carry and is indeed greater than 8.7 yard per touch. Also he is a Sophomore (And had these type of games as a Freshman). Also he had 4 Touchdowns. Also his team won by a 'run the clock so we all can get the heck out of here' margin.

Ok, let's look at pass catching: The 2nd guy in the VHSL record book for single game receptions had 372 yards to go with his 19 receptions, which is 19.57 yards per reception. Again, my 'northern' math tells me is over 10 yards per touch better than what happened on Saturday. Riverheads has a senior receiver that has only 9 catches on the season but has 215 yards from them which is 23.9 yards per catch. Maybe the colleges need to come running to look at him since he does more with less opportunities and his effort has been part of 5 wins and 0 losses this season, and the kid has yet to lose a varsity football game.

Nothing against the Harris kid. Hope the best for him. But is it just the swva bias that has people saying why they can't understand why this 150 lbs kid isn't being highly recruited? I watched him have a lot of opportunities. I'm sure you can hand the ball to the same kid 50+ times a game and that might show up in a record book, but what would actually be accomplished? Also, excuse me for not being plugged in, but his last name matches that of the Head Coach. Is that a coincidence or are they family, or should I be polite and not imply maybe that is the reason he got an exaggerated amount of oppurtinutes when it wasn't producing a winning formula in this football game.

Just looked like a long handoff to me. Still in front of the defense and I didn't notice huge yards after the catch. Other than his name being repeated over and over, I didn't even think it stood out at the time. 

I'm sure this will be taken as disrespectful or something, but just pointing at what these numbers really meant. 20 receptions is great but I'd sure like to see about 400 yards to go with it and maybe a trip or two to the endzone before the 4' tall kids were out there on the defense. Heck it was just a few weeks ago against this defense that Lord Botetourt had around 25 yards per reception and had 3 passing touchdowns and were in the game. That is more impressive to me than this. 

Fire Away

Your argument has as much steam as that knuckler Aaron Boone crushed in 2003.

Cook-Cash had TD runs of 52 and 87 yards. That’s 139 of the 222 yards.  Excluding those runs, you’re looking at an 8/83/2 stat line.  While that’s not winning football, it’s not an embarrassment.  Even your Yankee math should understand how significant outliers can skew a mean.

As for Cassius, he’s the fastest player on the team and it’s not close.  Yes, he’s the coach’s son, but you’d expect the coach’s kid to understand the game pretty well.  20 catches for 174 yards produces the 8.7 YPC average.  Riverheads tackles exceptionally well and covers ground even better, so yards after the catch aren’t really a “thing” with them.  Several teams won’t gain 174 yards on Riverheads this season, so one player doing so is fine by me.

In terms of a “winning strategy”, what in the Hell else could Tazewell have done?  Tazewell has a “once-in-a-generation” talent at QB, and doesn’t have the depth on the line to bludgeon teams into submission like Riverheads.  Lest we forget, Riverheads is the best team in the western half of Virginia, and I include Salem in that mix.  Tazewell put up 406 yards of total offense on them.  That’s a pretty damn good effort in my book. Tazewell had 2 drives stall in Riverheads’ red zone, and 1 pick-6 given up.  Clean up those mistakes and it’s a 21-point swing.  49-33 sounds a bunch different than 56-19, and it’s a closer margin than Botetourt gave in the effort you praised.

”Fire away”, homie.

So let me get this straight; in your parallel universe, where you take touchdowns off the board from one team and give them to the other, you still have your side losing? Dang, you would think imaginary land would produce a victory over those mighty Gladiators. But no. Make Believe land still gives you the L.

Do we want modify the stat of Harris while we are at it? Take out his longest catches? Then see what he's got? 

You are like the radio announcers for that game. Everything bad for green has an excuse. "Throwing into the wind", or "just over throws the receiver" when the ball is 20 yards past him and out of the back of the endzone. I understand swva is apparently it's own entity, with it's own record book and it's own message board, but the rest of us are playing for a VHSL trophy. We can show you a few next September when you are up for the game.

Tell you what, Harris can have his 20 receptions again next year. That's fine with me. It won't produce a loss for the Gladiators. They will just run their starters 10 or less times, put up 50, and then get the young guys some run again. At least I know the team I am watching weekly is here to win ball games and not just accumulate individual stats. (Even though they just happen to rack up a bunch of individual stats in the process)

What else could Tazewell have done? That is a legit question. They were outmatched by the players RHS actually dressed out for this one, but I'll take the bait. Mix it up a touch like having a balanced attack. Not allow the Red DB's to sit back and get 4 "once in a generation" interceptions in the game. Taz did average 6 yards a carry (Now, that doesn't have me negating their longest runs or anything, so I don't know if you think that is legit or not) Maybe see if other receivers are open earlier in the game. Seems like that Mullins kid had some ability, but again, do we count his long touchdowns or not?

I guess my point, which I apparently didn't drive home, is that receptions is not some spectacular statistic on it's own. Only when paired with yards or points produced does it start to impress me. In this case, I was not impressed with the production. I am glad the coaches kid got the ball a bunch. I can see that on Saturday mornings at the little league games too. I would be more optimistic how college scouts would view him if he turned those 20 opportunities into game altering plays. In all honesty, I have no problem with the kid. Glad he is a good player and hope he plays for as long as he can. I just don't understand the pedestal this performance is being put on. Let's talk about the time he scored a bunch of TDs or when he took them up and down the field and got the win over a good team. If I were in your shoes, I would want to stop talking about the 37 point loss, at home, in front of my home crowd. You don't hear Fuente talking about that Duke loss.

But for real, the only thing you said that I take issue with is you thinking I am a yankee fan. Don't you put thta evil on me.

For Riverheads at least  5 starters stood on the sideline and did not dress or play . 26 , 79 , among others . The second half other than special teams was made up of kids that never see the field until it's OVER '  ." HOW ABOUT THEM DOGS " . I would say Riverheads JV team plays with them . If they played 10th graders they would win easily !

25 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

For Riverheads at least  5 starters stood on the sideline and did not dress or play . 26 , 79 , among others . The second half other than special teams was made up of kids that never see the field until it's OVER '  ." HOW ABOUT THEM DOGS " . I would say Riverheads JV team plays with them . If they played 10th graders they would win easily !

So today’s apparently not a “false humility” day?

Cassius Harris caught so many balls because Riverheads has a speed problem in the secondary. By the way, so does Cook Johny cash Carter or whatever the hell his name is. He is a kid who hit puberty early and for sure, he's solid, but he also has a speed problem. It's why he will never play Div 1 football. Maybe at fullback. No chance at Running back or linebacker. To slow. 

Riverheads has a lack of speed problem in the secondary and has trouble covering speed. They play a weak watered down schedule that doesn't play speed and they get away with it and avoid in all but one game per year in the state semis against a very talented and fast region A team that will be the worst coached in the state of VA. Essex and sussex comes to mind.  

Cassius caught a ton of balls because Riverheads (smartly) gave tons of cushion. Why? Can't match up one on one. They have no choice and it could be easily exploited by teams like Appo and Graham that would wear them out trying to cover their receivers.

Absolutely a Riverheads diehard fan and new to posting but not viewing the board.

Two things:

First, that was quite the accomplishment by Cassius Harris regardless, so congrats to him. 

Second, I don’t think anyone has ever mistaken Riverheads for being a speed team so that’s not a surprise statement. Thing is they win against speed teams more times than not. 

The system is not flashy and certainly the defense frustrates us as fans sometimes. But it works fairly consistently against a rather diverse group of offenses. 

I have no ill will and do not intend to argue, just wanted to say that there is no need for anyone to crap on one kids accomplishment to bolster another's. They are after all high school kids not paid professionals, lol. 

10 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

Absolutely a Riverheads diehard fan and new to posting but not viewing the board.

Two things:

First, that was quite the accomplishment by Cassius Harris regardless, so congrats to him. 

Second, I don’t think anyone has ever mistaken Riverheads for being a speed team so that’s not a surprise statement. Thing is they win against speed teams more times than not. 

The system is not flashy and certainly the defense frustrates us as fans sometimes. But it works fairly consistently against a rather diverse group of offenses. 

I have no ill will and do not intend to argue, just wanted to say that there is no need for anyone to crap on one kids accomplishment to bolster another's. They are after all high school kids not paid professionals, lol. 

And that is what you call class. Good post.

11 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

just wanted to say that there is no need for anyone to crap on one kids accomplishment to bolster another's. They are after all high school kids not paid professionals, lol. 

I’m out of reactions but bravo!!! 🙌🏻 I don’t understand the mentality of grown men putting down high school kids, period. 

1 hour ago, RedPrideNation said:

Two things:

Please hang around!  I believe Tazewell will make the journey back up that way next year, and as frequently as one of our teams meets Riverheads in the title game, we will cross paths again.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, UVAObserver said:

Your argument has as much steam as that knuckler Aaron Boone crushed in 2003.

Cook-Cash had TD runs of 52 and 87 yards. That’s 139 of the 222 yards.  Excluding those runs, you’re looking at an 8/83/2 stat line.  While that’s not winning football, it’s not an embarrassment.  Even your Yankee math should understand how significant outliers can skew a mean.

As for Cassius, he’s the fastest player on the team and it’s not close.  Yes, he’s the coach’s son, but you’d expect the coach’s kid to understand the game pretty well.  20 catches for 174 yards produces the 8.7 YPC average.  Riverheads tackles exceptionally well and covers ground even better, so yards after the catch aren’t really a “thing” with them.  Several teams won’t gain 174 yards on Riverheads this season, so one player doing so is fine by me.

In terms of a “winning strategy”, what in the Hell else could Tazewell have done?  Tazewell has a “once-in-a-generation” talent at QB, and doesn’t have the depth on the line to bludgeon teams into submission like Riverheads.  Lest we forget, Riverheads is the best team in the western half of Virginia, and I include Salem in that mix.  Tazewell put up 406 yards of total offense on them.  That’s a pretty damn good effort in my book. Tazewell had 2 drives stall in Riverheads’ red zone, and 1 pick-6 given up.  Clean up those mistakes and it’s a 21-point swing.  49-33 sounds a bunch different than 56-19, and it’s a closer margin than Botetourt gave in the effort you praised.

”Fire away”, homie.

I watched the game it was all 5 yd or less passes and RH was content to let those passes be completed underneath and then come up and make the tackle. RH D is no where near a good as their offense. Don’t get to excited there! How many passes where completed 10+ yds down the field by Taz? Thanks 

3 hours ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

I watched the game it was all 5 yd or less passes and RH was content to let those passes be completed underneath and then come up and make the tackle. RH D is no where near a good as their offense. Don’t get to excited there! How many passes where completed 10+ yds down the field by Taz? Thanks 

if # 26 & 79 play Harris gets about half of those completions .

Harris was going up against a powerhouse of team. He did very well. The kid has freakish athletic ability and you still have to be able to make catches from the quarterback who is a freshman and doing a wonderful job by the way. There is more work than just catching the ball. I am sure he gets double teamed as well. And yeah Tazewell can parade down any street they want to. I see a lot of jealousy from people that are trash talking high school kids. Get a life! He is a baller and va tech has every right to look at him. Also if they player is open, throw him the ball. Coach Harris talks more about the other kids than his own son in the interviews. Great coach and a cool guy to be around. Can’t handle with the dogs , get off the porch.

My goodness this horse is dead. Can we congratulate a young man for his accomplishment and still realize that both teams likely had players injured? I don’t think the outcome would have changed regardless. 

I will add that when I rewatched the game it appears that Tazewell was running the New England papercut offense (that’s not a dig at

them by the way). You take the 3-7 yard cushion and continually pass under it to move the ball. And it’s not as if that is not celebrated as Bill B being a genius in NE. 

Game is over and both teams actually learned from it so in the end it accomplished what both teams wanted, to improve and prepare for the playoffs in several weeks. 

1 hour ago, RedPrideNation said:

I will add that when I rewatched the game it appears that Tazewell was running the New England papercut offense (that’s not a dig at them by the way). You take the 3-7 yard cushion and continually pass under it to move the ball. And it’s not as if that is not celebrated as Bill B being a genius in NE. 

Tazewell doesn't have the Line or Backs to sustain a hard nosed inside run game, so they supplement what they do have w quick passes to athletic WRs from a good QB. Riverheads played their D which gave up the underneath passes but nothing deep, Tazewell executed their offense but couldn't break anything for big plays.