Gate City vs. Union

KevinG

If Gate City could have one game where those boys don't turn the ball over and get penalties that kill drives, they could make this is respectable game.  Devils remind me some of Grundy.  Pretty good offensive lines, but not a great passing game.  Hopefully GC can get back to where they once were and make this the rivalry it was in the future.

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

THIS COULD BE A TRAP GAME,LOOSING THE GRAHAM IN THE LAST DRIVE, SOON STATRTING THE REALSEASON OF THE MOUNTAIN SEVEN SCH.SO BE CAREFUL BEARS FATE CITY IS IMPROVING EVERY WEEK AND THEY WILL UPSET SOMEONE THIS YEAR

I think the Devils will be unfucky Friday night. I'd say the Bears are mighty angry after that Graham mess. I see Union being very motivated and focused. 

This won't be a trap game. I'm not sure how focus Union will be starting out of the gate, but by the end of the game the scoreboard will show a decisive victory. GC has a good team, but will probably finish 5th in the M7 this year. They're tough and don't give up easily. Probably be similar to the Burton game.

3 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

This won't be a trap game. I'm not sure how focus Union will be starting out of the gate, but by the end of the game the scoreboard will show a decisive victory. GC has a good team, but will probably finish 5th in the M7 this year. They're tough and don't give up easily. Probably be similar to the Burton game.

We have struggled a time or two though vs GC when we were heavy favorites.  I think they'll hang for at least a half

8 hours ago, goose111874 said:

We have struggled a time or two though vs GC when we were heavy favorites.  I think they'll hang for at least a half

This is true, but GC's offense is elementary at best. It consists of running behind their overloaded side repeatedly with a reverse, jet sweep or toss to Jenkins. Now, he's dangerous if he gets in the open. 

Their only chance is to try to pass. QB is a decent athlete, but not sure he will be able to pass consistently.

I think this game being home will help Union come out of the gate a little better than if it were on the road.

3 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

This is true, but GC's offense is elementary at best. It consists of running behind their overloaded side repeatedly with a reverse, jet sweep or toss to Jenkins. Now, he's dangerous if he gets in the open. 

Their only chance is to try to pass. QB is a decent athlete, but not sure he will be able to pass consistently.

I think this game being home will help Union come out of the gate a little better than if it were on the road.

Their best chance is to feed Jenkins keep the ball out of Lomax's hands and not throw the ball at all. If they have to throw it the game is over. GC has to dominate TOP and have 10 to 12 play drives. GC is a tough team that has the best player on the field most nights. That might not be the case this week I havnt seen Lomax play at all but I would say closer than people think

4 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Their best chance is to feed Jenkins keep the ball out of Lomax's hands and not throw the ball at all. If they have to throw it the game is over. GC has to dominate TOP and have 10 to 12 play drives. GC is a tough team that has the best player on the field most nights. That might not be the case this week I havnt seen Lomax play at all but I would say closer than people think

Jenkins is dangerous and he will certainly be the fastest player on the field, but Lomax is a beast, a pleasure to watch if you like an old-school, smash mouth running back.

56 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

According to SWVA Sports Report Stevie Thomas is averaging 186.6 ypg and Lomax is at 152.5. Good numbers.

IMO Stevie is should be the POY in region D that kid has done more for the VA high program in the last 4 years than any kid I have seen. Now that he has some help with a passing game he is even more lethal. He might be the hardest kid to tackle in the region because he is so hard to get a clean hit on him. 

5 hours ago, Jags52 said:

IMO Stevie is should be the POY in region D that kid has done more for the VA high program in the last 4 years than any kid I have seen. Now that he has some help with a passing game he is even more lethal. He might be the hardest kid to tackle in the region because he is so hard to get a clean hit on him. 

No offense my POY would be Meadows from Graham who has absolutely dominated on both sides of the ball and totally messed the game for his opponents.  I don't even think it's really close either, but the kid from VH, Webb, Jenkins from GC, Bradshaw, and Lomax all have a say for Region D, but if they actually did it by which player effects the game the most and by which player changes the game the most, it's hands down the Big Boy from Graham.  

As true as it may be,  usually goes to a skill guy. That would be a tough one with all the skill kids in the region but strength of schedule determines much of that.  Looked like big man and #11 jervis create issues for anyone on both sides. 

The m7/sw is far above the rest in regD. Look at who the big games are coming against when stats are crazy good. On another note,  it's not 1997 any more and defense isn't the same as far as hard-nosed high caliber players. 

POY- way too early and way too many kids to narrow it down. Glad to see vhs competing again, if they've got a decent defense,  swd gonna be interesting. 

5 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

No offense my POY would be Meadows from Graham who has absolutely dominated on both sides of the ball and totally messed the game for his opponents.  I don't even think it's really close either, but the kid from VH, Webb, Jenkins from GC, Bradshaw, and Lomax all have a say for Region D, but if they actually did it by which player effects the game the most and by which player changes the game the most, it's hands down the Big Boy from Graham.  

Seems like Union had quite a bit of success against Meadows on O and D. Id vote Bradshaw, Thomas and Lomax ahead of him. 

"Meadows" is singular. "Line" may be considered plural.

Because Union had success against Graham on the line doesn't mean Union had success against each individual Graham lineman. Huge difference. Meadows manhandled anyone in front of him from Union. Meadows is also, even over Bradshaw in my opinion, a sure bet for the NFL, and he's been considered that way since 8th grade (Injury can derail things of course). He's the highest rated recruit in SWVA by a lot, and that includes Bradshaw. 

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Seems like Union had quite a bit of success against Meadows on O and D. Id vote Bradshaw, Thomas and Lomax ahead of him. 

As for Meadows, I don’t think any of the Gmen can say they had a good day on D, but didn’t think he had a bad game there. Couple of missed tackles but a forced fumble. On O I think you may have been watching a different game than everybody else. He had 10 pancakes and may have lost 2 O snaps the whole game. I think he has 40+ pancake blocks through 3 games. The kid is 320 lbs it’s impressive he can go both ways and still make plays in the second half.