Gate City vs. Union

KevinG

14 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

No offense my POY would be Meadows from Graham who has absolutely dominated on both sides of the ball and totally messed the game for his opponents.  I don't even think it's really close either, but the kid from VH, Webb, Jenkins from GC, Bradshaw, and Lomax all have a say for Region D, but if they actually did it by which player effects the game the most and by which player changes the game the most, it's hands down the Big Boy from Graham.  

Im all for giving a a big guy that kind of love. Thats what I played in backed in the day and I agree the game is won or lost in the trenches most of the time. However 1 guy doesnt make a great O line you have to have 5 dude that work together on every single play. I think Stevie does more with less than anyone in in the region. Hell that kid gets touched in the back field and still is capable of scoring every time he touches the ball. An O lineman will never get POY mostly because you have to look at a unit as a whole

Rough for an O line guy or a defensive guy to get an award like that (not saying that some don't deserve it).  It will ALWAYS be an offensive and skill player award.  Kind of like the Heisman, you can't tell me the best player in college football is always (for the most part)  a receiver or QB. 

I don't think there is any question that the odds of a lineman getting it are low and that it's rare for a kid like this to win such an award.  That's a given and obvious.  I'm just saying that if they went by the most deserving, the kid who literally and actually changes the game in the worst way for the opponent, it's the kid from Graham up front.  Barring injury, he's NFL bound, period.  Take that to the bank.  A slam dunk NFL future kid and UVA has got a gem.

4 hours ago, Gfan said:

As for Meadows, I don’t think any of the Gmen can say they had a good day on D, but didn’t think he had a bad game there. Couple of missed tackles but a forced fumble. On O I think you may have been watching a different game than everybody else. He had 10 pancakes and may have lost 2 O snaps the whole game. I think he has 40+ pancake blocks through 3 games. The kid is 320 lbs it’s impressive he can go both ways and still make plays in the second half.

No offense, but I think you need to rewatch on NFHS.  The Meadows kid absolutely OBLITERATED the Union Center play after play.  When he lined up to the right side, he obliterated their left guard and when he lined up slightly to the left side, he obliterated their right guard.  Meadow's work on the defensive line is the reason the Union QB was under pressure every time he dropped back to pass.  He completely took the interior (off guard run) off the table for Union for 4 quarters.  Union had it's success around the ends and off tackle.  Meadows didn't have a bad day or decent day, he had a remarkable game changing day.  Just like he did as a sophomore against Appo down there on the road.  Watch that tape what he did to the kid from Appo for 4 quarters.  Graham has a possible All American Candidate on the line.  All-American candidates are rare and they don't come around but every so often in SWVA.  Meadows is that good.

4 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

No offense, but I think you need to rewatch on NFHS.  The Meadows kid absolutely OBLITERATED the Union Center play after play.  When he lined up to the right side, he obliterated their left guard and when he lined up slightly to the left side, he obliterated their right guard.  Meadow's work on the defensive line is the reason the Union QB was under pressure every time he dropped back to pass.  He completely took the interior (off guard run) off the table for Union for 4 quarters.  Union had it's success around the ends and off tackle.  Meadows didn't have a bad day or decent day, he had a remarkable game changing day.  Just like he did as a sophomore against Appo down there on the road.  Watch that tape what he did to the kid from Appo for 4 quarters.  Graham has a possible All American Candidate on the line.  All-American candidates are rare and they don't come around but every so often in SWVA.  Meadows is that good.

Wow someone is in love with this kid. I dont know what game you watched compared to the rest of us. But if he was this all American player he should have stopped 150 yards of unions rushing attack by himself maybe he was fooled or over pursued the play because thats the only way we got yards. Now im going to take a page out of some Graham fans playbook and tell you you won by 1 point and we had both starting offensive tackles out for that game. 1 lost for the season torn acl. The other will be back later hopefully. Watch out now I might just be fooling you or trying to out flank you. 

20 minutes ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

Wow someone is in love with this kid. I dont know what game you watched compared to the rest of us. But if he was this all American player he should have stopped 150 yards of unions rushing attack by himself maybe he was fooled or over pursued the play because thats the only way we got yards. Now im going to take a page out of some Graham fans playbook and tell you you won by 1 point and we had both starting offensive tackles out for that game. 1 lost for the season torn acl. The other will be back later hopefully. Watch out now I might just be fooling you or trying to out flank you. 

And #88 Davis

6 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

What's amazing is we can all watch the same game film and come away with differing opinions of plays, performances, etc. Its no wonder eye witness accounts of crimes are often inaccurate. Lol

And 90 percent of the time, the observations are slanted in their team's favor.

11 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

And 90 percent of the time, the observations are slanted in their team's favor.

Agreed. I went back and watched it this morning. Don’t think he had great game on D but definitely wasn’t the reason Union got so many yards on the ground. Union ran a lot outside early on to scheme him out of the play. Graham’s doesn’t do him any favors either by not playing him constantly at nose. On O he legit had 10 pancake blocks. Union may have won two snaps with speed against him, and those would be debatable at best. Are Union and GC playing?

20 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

I know he got the better of my son a time or two.  One I would say was clearly hands to the face (about ripped his helmet off) and another was a highlight film for him LOL (very next play).

From what I have watched so far  (14-13 in the game right now) I think he did well.  Hard to beat a kid when your giving up 40+ lbs and 5-6 inches of height. 

I know in the second half I think Graham only got 3 first downs if I remember correct.

I watched the GC/Union middle school game the other night (GC won 22-0) and was encouraged for the future. If I'm not mistaken, we have more on the middle school team than we do on varsity. Flag football had around 90 kids involved this year. So hopefully things will be rebounded soon. As for tonight, the kids will play their guts out. Hopefully both teams will stay healthy.

4 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

I watched the GC/Union middle school game the other night (GC won 22-0) and was encouraged for the future. If I'm not mistaken, we have more on the middle school team than we do on varsity. Flag football had around 90 kids involved this year. So hopefully things will be rebounded soon. As for tonight, the kids will play their guts out. Hopefully both teams will stay healthy.

Half of GC's 8th graders are hold backs though, but I do agree, they looked good. Lot of size, and QB has potential.

Going back to the days when 19 year olds with full beards playing against 16 and 17 year old pimple faces kids….upon graduation from U VA at 19 Phil Robbins cracked in Thomas Jones number retirement “just think Thomas, if you had went to Gate City, you could have been a senior playing football now!” 

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Going back to the days when 19 year olds with full beards playing against 16 and 17 year old pimple faces kids….upon graduation from U VA at 19 Phil Robbins cracked in Thomas Jones number retirement “just think Thomas, if you had went to Gate City, you could have been a senior playing football now!” 

It's only funny because it's true! haha

On 9/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, vtdavis4321 said:

Sorry Dad but your kids not that good ! Overrated for sure ! Played lazy and pad level was terrible. He’s got D1 size, that’s it ! 

40 minutes ago, Yoder said:

Sorry Dad but your kids not that good ! Overrated for sure ! Played lazy and pad level was terrible. He’s got D1 size, that’s it ! 

I believe you’re greatly misinformed about who his dad is but he’s definitely talented and I’m not his dad either😂😂😂. You’ve got some Graham hate going on 😂😂😂.

Well, I live in Ripplemead and have no biological children that I know of in Bluefield, VA, so I will also bet my salary that "he's not his dad."  But, as for your ignorant comments about Meadows (and yes, they were ignorant) recruiting services disagree with you............which kind of goes back to why your statement is ignorant.  The recruiting services say the following which has a slightly different opinion of yours, Mr. Yoder.

"Length, shoulder width and frame ideal for offensive tackle. Physical, athletic and highly coordinated. Strong, accurate initial punch. A mauler in the running game. Plays nasty. Once engaged, overpowers opponent with regularity. Has dexterity to pull. Moves well laterally. Has to work on lightening feet. Continued development with knee bend important for leverage. Keeping lower bad level in run game needed. Use of kick step needed. Multi-year starter at Top 15 program. Day 2 NFL draft pick"