Graham folks ... Be nice...

BoBob

Be nice to the Raider truck if you see it in Bluefield on Saturday.  

If you see the Raider A and SMITH STRONG please leave the tires alone.  Looking forward to seeing your home field as I'll be there for my sons college game (Georgetown College)

Hitting the Railyard for lunch is the plan provided 81 flows well. 

17 minutes ago, BoBob said:

Hitting the Railyard for lunch is the plan provided 81 flows well. 

That’s a big if, 81 flowing well. I never take 81 from Bluefield that direction. I always take 460 even with speed traps, it’s less stressful than 81. Tech traffic might impede you though. 81 is a nightmare. 

A couple of years ago when we went to Salem for state westling, Lloyd wanted to go 460 all the way.
With the NRV Mall bypass & 65 speed in WV, it's about 10 minutes quicker than 77/81.
But...
Kick @ Mitchell is 2:30.
#28 Tech is hosting FCS #21 Richmond @ noon.
I've never done 81 SOUTH on a late Sat. morning, but it didn't look that bad in the Spring when I was heading North. AND I don't know what it's like from Roanoke to Lane pre-game.
I guess timing is everything.

6 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

A couple of years ago when we went to Salem for state westling, Lloyd wanted to go 460 all the way.
With the NRV Mall bypass & 65 speed in WV, it's about 10 minutes quicker than 77/81.
But...
Kick @ Mitchell is 2:30.
#28 Tech is hosting FCS #21 Richmond @ noon.
I've never done 81 SOUTH on a late Sat. morning, but it didn't look that bad in the Spring when I was heading North. AND I don't know what it's like from Roanoke to Lane pre-game.
I guess timing is everything.

Could take route 311 out of Salem over to Catawba. Get on Newport Road to Mount Tabor Road and hit 460 on the other side of Blacksburg. lol. Only adds about 30 minutes and a lot of scenery.

16 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Could take route 311 out of Salem over to Catawba. Get on Newport Road to Mount Tabor Road and hit 460 on the other side of Blacksburg. lol. Only adds about 30 minutes and a lot of scenery.

And a lot of curvy mountain road 😂 but yes, scenery is beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Take it from me:

On the weekend people hiking McAfee Knob get STUPID. They park on Old Catawba, which is narrow as crap and there’s no way for people to park on the side. And there are people who park where it clearly says not to. 

When I lived in Craig County the last couple of years there would sometimes be a Saturday in which a dozen cars were towed. 

If you want to go on 311 then be careful. 

You can see some beautiful scenery if you go on 311. You can turn onto 621 (Upper Craig Creek Rd) just before you cross into Craig County or you can turn onto 42 (Cumberland Gap Rd) and see an overlook of New Castle. Stop by Joe’s Trees in Simmonsville. Then you will cross into Newport which is in Giles County. Then soon you can turn onto 460. 

Well, we came and had a great day. 

Ride there (81 to 77 and up) was beautiful and the Tech game traffic wasn't too bad.
Got the the Railyard at 11:05 and it didn't open till 11:30 so we just sat with the windows down and enjoy thee wonderful weather. 

Railyard was good (although I was disappointed the only offered their brunch menu--that philly cheesesteak on the online menu looked good) and they had live music which was nice.

Got to the game around 1:00 to watch the boys warm up.  Mitchell Stadium is pretty nice.  Love the stands and how step they are.

Georgetown won the game 61-19 so I got to watch my son get lots of short snaps in for extra points and one field goal snap. 

My youngest son (who was a junior when we played Graham in 2019) was able to catch up with Brody Meadows and they talked down by the locker rooms for about 30 minutes. 

Nice trip! Beautiful drive and a great experience. 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:19 AM, oldfool said:

Now days with the way they have rerouted 460 from 81 at Blacksburg id say you probably add about 20 minutes or more travel time. Took my dog to the vet hospital there and its a mess.

You're crazy.  The new route is light years faster than going through all the red lights in Christiansburg.  You either don't know how to drive or don't know where you're going. 

38 minutes ago, GMan said:

You're crazy.  The new route is light years faster than going through all the red lights in Christiansburg.  You either don't know how to drive or don't know where you're going. 

It is confusing if you don't go there often and trying to figure out which exit and which lane off the interstate but is so much better.  Plus you can avoid the idiots of the tunnel during summer time.

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

It is confusing if you don't go there often and trying to figure out which exit and which lane off the interstate but is so much better.  Plus you can avoid the idiots of the tunnel during summer time.

Go ahead and call "the idiots of the tunnel" what they really are: Ohio drivers lol

3 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Hey, don't blame it all on Ohio drivers. I've seen Michigan and Indiana idiots in there too.

Well, it was an Ohio driver that slammed on their brakes in front of me and came to a complete stop before entering the tunnel...Quick thinking by me and the tractor trailer behind me is the reason I'm still here today.   

9 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Well, it was an Ohio driver that slammed on their brakes in front of me and came to a complete stop before entering the tunnel...Quick thinking by me and the tractor trailer behind me is the reason I'm still here today.   

Did they think the Roadrunner painted the entrance of tunnel to fool the Wile e coyote

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The Ohio drivers on US 23 aren’t any better! 

6 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Got to love the Ohio drivers that speed past you at 80-90 then at the tunnel struggle to go 40 and in the left lane as well

And then have to swerve into the right lane when they want to take the Bluefield exit heading north. 

10 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Got to love the Ohio drivers that speed past you at 80-90 then at the tunnel struggle to go 40 and in the left lane as well

I hate those passing lane drivers who just ride there for miles with that right blinker on