Virginia High @ Spotswood

V-Cats

57 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

What weapons does VA High have besides the Thomas kid? If a team can make him a non-factor, who steps up? 

The coach steps up. VA Highs coach is far ahead of his peers. I said this before, and no offense but NOBODY has any business winning at Holston. He is showing what he can do with a little more talent. Yes, Va High has a lot of experienced seniors and this is the class they've been waiting for to mature and be seniors as the talent has been obvious since they were freshmen, BUT the coach is the difference. VA High has had many, many ,many teams at LEAST as talented as this only to go 5-5 6-4, maybe 7-3, etc. VA High fans should be stoked not just about this year's team, but about their future. It's super bright and I think VA High will very soon become on the level of a Graham and Union within 3-4 years if the guy stays. HE is the difference.  He understands much more and better than his fellow peers how to use his athletes and get them in space. VA High is trending way up, but they aren't beating Graham this year and they aren't beating Union either. In about 3-4 years, you may see VA High having its best days going back to Paul Wheeler or some of those Anthony Campbell teams in the 80s that were pretty dang good.

Burrhead Bradley was at VH in the 70s for about 5 years and had some pretty good teams also. Burrhead was the Head Coach of the Graham 1962 AAA state title team and was a longtime Graham High coach. His name, if familiar, he is kin to Brad Bradley, former Salem football star and Heritage High football coach, and the Bradley's are kin the Dudley family of Bluefield, VA, as in, legendary Bullitt Bill Dudley.

7 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

The coach steps up. VA Highs coach is far ahead of his peers. I said this before, and no offense but NOBODY has any business winning at Holston. He is showing what he can do with a little more talent. Yes, Va High has a lot of experienced seniors and this is the class they've been waiting for to mature and be seniors as the talent has been obvious since they were freshmen, BUT the coach is the difference. VA High has had many, many ,many teams at LEAST as talented as this only to go 5-5 6-4, maybe 7-3, etc. VA High fans should be stoked not just about this year's team, but about their future. It's super bright and I think VA High will very soon become on the level of a Graham and Union within 3-4 years if the guy stays. HE is the difference.  He understands much more and better than his fellow peers how to use his athletes and get them in space. VA High is trending way up, but they aren't beating Graham this year and they aren't beating Union either. In about 3-4 years, you may see VA High having its best days going back to Paul Wheeler or some of those Anthony Campbell teams in the 80s that were pretty dang good.

V-High has a talented group of kids right now and they are playing as expected.

7 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

For now when the seniors leave this year, watch how little of a drop off there will be. They will remain good. To well coached not to be.

VA high loses 2 skill players on offense…Thomas and Delaney, and 1 lineman…Smith. Those same 3 players they lose on defense

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Wait… you mean… THAT guy? 

Haha I was waiting for someone to bring that up.....I "thought" he was a terrible coach who couldn't win anywhere.  From what I've seen I say a 10-0, 9-1 regular season and a match up with Galax in the region again.  

42 minutes ago, 44cov3 said:

Haha I was waiting for someone to bring that up.....I "thought" he was a terrible coach who couldn't win anywhere.  From what I've seen I say a 10-0, 9-1 regular season and a match up with Galax in the region again.  

I don’t dare speak his name or else Dad comes out and gets upset. 

Dude isn’t a bad coach at all, and this proves it some. He’s got a couple great athletes that really help, too. 

On 9/29/2021 at 8:24 PM, UVAObserver said:

I kinda do.  Having seen both, I’m not sure I wouldn’t pick VHS straight up.  They’ve got athletes, and they’re plenty sound.  Their line issues are also highly overrated.

On 9/29/2021 at 8:24 PM, UVAObserver said:

I kinda do.  Having seen both, I’m not sure I wouldn’t pick VHS straight up.  They’ve got athletes, and they’re plenty sound.  Their line issues are also highly overrated.

Come on observer......you saw graham against tazewell with 4 practices in 3 weeks. Of course they were sluggish. While Virginia High is much improved its still basically the same two teams that played in March. And Graham blew them off the field.

50 minutes ago, CPF said:

Come on observer......you saw graham against tazewell with 4 practices in 3 weeks. Of course they were sluggish. While Virginia High is much improved its still basically the same two teams that played in March. And Graham blew them off the field.

Totally discounting and taking off the table the value of coaching, and treating the Virginia High team as if nothing has changed and looking at players only.  That's a monumental mistake.  Coaching matters and it matter MORE, the lower levels you go in football from pee-wee to the NFL.  A coaching disparity in High School football is absolutely a game changer.  It's like having 1 or 2 D1 players on the team at the High School Level.  It's that big of a value.  Ask Riverheads.  It's not like in the rural surrounding areas of Staunton where all the talent on the I-81 corridor just seems to live an reproduced and magically, it's all in the one little spot for the past 20 years.  It doesn't work that way.  It's coaching.  Same with Appomattox.  Tons of talent in Rustburg, Altavista, Buckingham, Gretna, etc.  The difference-coaching.  Virginia High in my opinion, is absolutely NOT the same team as the spring.  The talent is the same, but the coaching adds about 14-17 points in scoring margin.   See Richlands from roughly 04 to 2017.  All the talent in Tazewell County just happened to live in the western portion of the county?  Not hardly.  Graham had BUCKET loads of talent during this timeframe.  The difference was coaching and it showed in total wins, margin of victory, etc.  I'm telling you guys in the SWD and M7 from an outsiders perspective from Giles, Virginia High is Richlands in the year of 2002.  You can see it building and it's a matter of time to where the start competing with the Graham and Unions in 2A, Region D.

I don't know anything about their coach other than he came from Holston.  But I know this.........he's different.  He's obviously not on the same level as the majority of his peers at the 2A level.  It's just the way it is.  Just like players.  All players aren't created the same.  Same for coaches. 

24 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Totally discounting and taking off the table the value of coaching, and treating the Virginia High team as if nothing has changed and looking at players only.  That's a monumental mistake.  Coaching matters and it matter MORE, the lower levels you go in football from pee-wee to the NFL.  A coaching disparity in High School football is absolutely a game changer.  It's like having 1 or 2 D1 players on the team at the High School Level.  It's that big of a value.  Ask Riverheads.  It's not like in the rural surrounding areas of Staunton where all the talent on the I-81 corridor just seems to live an reproduced and magically, it's all in the one little spot for the past 20 years.  It doesn't work that way.  It's coaching.  Same with Appomattox.  Tons of talent in Rustburg, Altavista, Buckingham, Gretna, etc.  The difference-coaching.  Virginia High in my opinion, is absolutely NOT the same team as the spring.  The talent is the same, but the coaching adds about 14-17 points in scoring margin.   See Richlands from roughly 04 to 2017.  All the talent in Tazewell County just happened to live in the western portion of the county?  Not hardly.  Graham had BUCKET loads of talent during this timeframe.  The difference was coaching and it showed in total wins, margin of victory, etc.  I'm telling you guys in the SWD and M7 from an outsiders perspective from Giles, Virginia High is Richlands in the year of 2002.  You can see it building and it's a matter of time to where the start competing with the Graham and Unions in 2A, Region D.

I don't know anything about their coach other than he came from Holston.  But I know this.........he's different.  He's obviously not on the same level as the majority of his peers at the 2A level.  It's just the way it is.  Just like players.  All players aren't created the same.  Same for coaches. 

I'm certainly not discounting coaching. It was 51-0 in March on their field. I think 4 touchdowns better for VA high is certainly not a stretch. But they're not ready to compete for the district. Tonight will be a good test for them. We will see.

1 hour ago, CPF said:

Virginia High lost virtually nobody, and now has a very competent coaching staff in place.  Graham lost several pieces, and Virginia High is a bad matchup for them in terms of scheme/style.  I think Graham's best is better than Virginia High's best, but Graham has a tendency not to play to their capabilities.  Virginia High's played at an exceptional level each time out.  I know Graham folks don't want to hear it, but a Virginia High win wouldn't surprise me one iota.

11 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Virginia High lost virtually nobody, and now has a very competent coaching staff in place.  Graham lost several pieces, and Virginia High is a bad matchup for them in terms of scheme/style.  I think Graham's best is better than Virginia High's best, but Graham has a tendency not to play to their capabilities.  Virginia High's played at an exceptional level each time out.  I know Graham folks don't want to hear it, but a Virginia High win wouldn't surprise me one iota.

Va High is much improved and we are glad to see, but they haven’t played an opponent to test them yet. Graham has played a lot of meaningful games, and Va High hasn’t. Graham is still 2 to 3 scores with experience and tradition better right now. 
it’s good to see some of the potential and athletes be held accountable. 

9 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Va High is much improved and we are glad to see, but they haven’t played an opponent to test them yet. Graham has played a lot of meaningful games, and Va High hasn’t. Graham is still 2 to 3 scores with experience and tradition better right now. 
it’s good to see some of the potential and athletes be held accountable. 

V High is much improved.  Graham has a bit more talent then they did in the spring.  They are startiby to gel a little bit.   New pieces in place on defense are coming along slower then the offense.  I think V- High will score some points on Graham, but not nearly enough.  I see this as being a 49-28 type of game..Grahams defense still coming along.  As for Spotswood?  Dont know enough about them, but hope V High wins and represents SWVA well. 

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

V High is much improved.  Graham has a bit more talent then they did in the spring.  They are startiby to gel a little bit.   New pieces in place on defense are coming along slower then the offense.  I think V- High will score some points on Graham, but not nearly enough.  I see this as being a 49-28 type of game..Grahams defense still coming along.  As for Spotswood?  Dont know enough about them, but hope V High wins and represents SWVA well. 

In the Union game I thought the defense obviously struggled. Against Galax I thought the offense struggled until the 2nd half. If they sleep on Va High they'll leave Mitchell with an "L". Va High has confidence now. They didn't have that in the spring. 

1 hour ago, CPF said:

I'm certainly not discounting coaching. It was 51-0 in March on their field. I think 4 touchdowns better for VA high is certainly not a stretch. But they're not ready to compete for the district. Tonight will be a good test for them. We will see.

I agree with you VH isn't beating Graham this year. I think Graham is 17 points better. If you are within 17 points of Graham, you are a very good 2A football team. 

3 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

I thought Spotswood was terrible? Is this game supposed to tell us something about Va High other than they don't care to drive 5 hours out of the way to play?

If you’re going to travel 5+ hours, definitely make it worth the gas and pick a 1-3 team to play 😂. I think it tells us a lot about VA High maybe not what others think it will 😂

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham had 4 seniors last year. Less than Vhigh. And John battle has been outscored 199-13 this season. We will see.

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

If you’re going to travel 5+ hours, definitely make it worth the gas and pick a 1-3 team to play 😂. I think it tells us a lot about VA High maybe not what others think it will 😂

No doubt and no way to argue with that Gridiron.  Lets see what the Bearcats are made of and see if they can turn it around in the second half.  I hope they do.  You don't want a loss like that for SWVA.  

13 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

No doubt and no way to argue with that Gridiron.  Lets see what the Bearcats are made of and see if they can turn it around in the second half.  I hope they do.  You don't want a loss like that for SWVA.  

Absolutely not, hopefully they turn it around! 

On 9/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, RedPrideNation said:

Having seen Spotswood play, V-high should have a running clock if they are legit. 

Twas no running clock in Spotswood tonight…lots of TDs & turnovers but not even close to a running clock. Thomas had a phenomenal outing though which isn’t surprising.