Ridgeview at Richlands

swva_havok_fan

No disrespect to the current head coach at all as I know he worked alongside Mance for years, but with Mance gone I don’t ever see Richlands being the Richlands of old for awhile. Mance had a lot of teams that lacked talent but you knew that the 11 people he put on the field were going to fight and give it all they had for him. You just don’t see that now with the Blues.

28 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Guys, I think some of you are sugar coating it and not stating the obvious.  I keep reading where Richlands "heart isn't into it" and "they have quit."  These comments point to a mentality thing as the problem which is easily fixable in one year.  You and I both know the true problem and it's one some don't want to talk about because it's NOT fixable in one season.  It's not a mental thing.  Those kids haven't quit.  Their hearts ARE into it.  The problem...........they have a talent problem, period.  Every program goes through these spells and Richlands does NOT have the manpower of years past on the field and it's as simple as that.  Richlands can try as hard as they can, be mentally tough and totally into it, and the results of these games would be the same.  It's the elephant in the room I've seen few Richlands fans on here acknowledge.  It's to easy to blame it on a mental thing because it makes us feel better.  We feel better because we know a mental thing is a quick fix.  The problem is exactly as I stated above, and it's a 5 year or half of a decade fix which is only fixed when you get adequate talent again.

Have you watched every snap of all 4 Richlands games this season? 

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

Have you watched every snap of all 4 Richlands games this season? 

No, just 3 of the 4 games.  No quit in them.  Being outran on a flag route by 10 yds isn't mental toughness.  It's lack of athletic ability, or to put it another way, it's less athletic ability then the guy running the flag route.

14 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

No disrespect to the current head coach at all as I know he worked alongside Mance for years, but with Mance gone I don’t ever see Richlands being the Richlands of old for awhile. Mance had a lot of teams that lacked talent but you knew that the 11 people he put on the field were going to fight and give it all they had for him. You just don’t see that now with the Blues.

Taking nothing from Mance but they were headed the wrong direction before he left & maybe he read the tea leaves and left before the program fully imploded. 

10 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

No, just 3 of the 4 games.  No quit in them.  Being outran on a flag route by 10 yds isn't mental toughness.  It's lack of athletic ability, or to put it another way, it's less athletic ability then the guy running the flag route.

Then you’re blind. Absolutely not as talented as the 3 team they’ve lost to who are a combined 13-1. But hands on hips, heads down, sideline with no energy, walking to the huddle, not chasing guys when they get free. Those were signs of a team that had rolled over and quit. 

That is 100% not what they did tonight. They kept fighting. And I’m proud of them for that. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Then you’re blind. Absolutely not as talented as the 3 team they’ve lost to who are a combined 13-1. But hands on hips, heads down, sideline with no energy, walking to the huddle, not chasing guys when they get free. Those were signs of a team that had rolled over and quit. 

That is 100% not what they did tonight. They kept fighting. And I’m proud of them for that. 

Well, two points of view.  One is that I'm blind and the other that you might not wanting to see the obvious.   For example, tonight they didn't quit as you say, and they got blasted.  A normal Richlands talented type team from years past doesn't lose like that to Ridgeview.  They may lose, but not like that.  If you actually believe Richlands doesn't have a talent low compared to where they were just 5 years ago, then something is wrong.  Any normal reasonable person can access and see that.  

14 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Well, two points of view.  One is that I'm blind and the other that you might not wanting to see the obvious.   For example, tonight they didn't quit as you say, and they got blasted.  A normal Richlands talented type team from years past doesn't lose like that to Ridgeview.  They may lose, but not like that.  If you actually believe Richlands doesn't have a talent low compared to where they were just 5 years ago, then something is wrong.  Any normal reasonable person can access and see that.  

I have literally said — in this very thread, no less — that Richlands doesn’t have the talent they’ve had in the past. I’ve never said they don’t. I’ve said they have more talent than 42-0 & 35-0. They are the first Richlands team since 91 to get shut out in consecutive weeks. So clearly there’s a talent deficit. My argument is with your assessment that this team didn’t quit the previous two games, because anyone who watched them could see it happening. They could have quit tonight down 21-0, but they didn’t. They scored. They got an onside. Then they dropped a TD that would have made it. 7 point game before halftime. Instead, RV scored and ir was 28-7. Could have quit again, but instead opened the half with an 8 min scoring drive. Then RV’s talent took over and they pulled away. But the team that we put in the field against Graham and Abingdon would have gotten beat 63-0 tonight. But they didn’t, because they found some pride and heart in the off week. 

13 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Taking nothing from Mance but they were headed the wrong direction before he left & maybe he read the tea leaves and left before the program fully imploded. 

It's apparent you don't know Coach Mance personally.  

I think the article below will give you an accurate assessment of his coaching abilities.  He doesn't jump ship even if the storm isn't raging.  

Loris uses second-half offensive surge to top Georgetown | Football | myhorrynews.com

46 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

It's apparent you don't know Coach Mance personally.  

I think the article below will give you an accurate assessment of his coaching abilities.  He doesn't jump ship even if the storm isn't raging.  

Loris uses second-half offensive surge to top Georgetown | Football | myhorrynews.com

I know him well and he’s a great coach and like all great coaches, he knew when the time was right to move on…I wasn’t implying anything about his coaching abilities. He probably saw ahead of what others are just realizing, talent isn’t as abundant as it once was and his coaching staff had lost some of the ones who had been there by his side for years. He realized it was taking a downturn and wanted to leave before that happened. I think he made the absolute best decision for himself going to Loris and I’ve never wished him anything but the best.

I think Mance had his 30 years in the Virginia school system and since he was already fully vested in the teachers retirement plan for Virginia, he moves close to the beach where he can work 10 years and still get a partial retirement in SC. Tons of coaches have done and continue to do this. 

11 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

I think Mance had his 30 years in the Virginia school system and since he was already fully vested in the teachers retirement plan for Virginia, he moves close to the beach where he can work 10 years and still get a partial retirement in SC. Tons of coaches have done and continue to do this. 

If SC is like most other states he probably only needs 5 years to be fully vested in the retirement system.

10 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

If SC is like most other states he probably only needs 5 years to be fully vested in the retirement system.

I believe in most places it’s 5, maybe 7 in some states now but 5 seems to be the norm. The former Bluefield girls basketball coach I believe did the same, retiring from WV & going across the state line to Bland County. It’s a smart move if someone wants to put in more than 30 years. Right now, education is tough gig for everyone. 

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Moat states I’ve seen allow you to vest early (5-7 years) but take decades to fully vest (20-30 years).

There are often exceptions within certain systems based on a variety of factors -- including attaining certain ages.  In SC it looks like an individual who has worked at least 8 years can receive an unreduced benefit at the age of 65.  Without knowing a lot about Mance's personal financial plans or status, I imagine that he could live pretty well on his combined benefits from Virginia and South Carolina along with Social Security.

I've started paying a lot more attention to these kind of details since attaining a certain age myself.  North Carolina has a particularly solid public retirement system that occupies a significant role in my contingency planning.  But I've also given a lot of thought to SC

A little biased on this one..But here it goes.

I watched these two play in the Spring. I watched Ridgeview dominate the first half all the way till about a Minute before half and Richlands was able to recover some onside kicks and put some points on the board. When Richlands went up on the score board. Ridgeview took the ball and ran it down there throat...Using 3 different QBs and losing their starter. Ridgeview had over 300 yards rushing and little over a 100 passing and only having the ball once in the third and twice in the 4th...After the game all I read was about how miraculous Richlands played...But that was crazy..Cause the game I saw, Richlands played one quarter and got crushed the rest. 

Last night game was no different. I watched Ridgeview toast Richlands last night. Richlands has College Talent on their team. Are big and can move. And Ridgeview Destroyed them again...QB was 12/14 and the Beavers kid was left 1 on 1 most of the game and has the 4 TDs to prove it. Even Central with a 2 time all state DB didn’t even have the balls to try that...

I guess my point is..in the spring I thought both  teams had speed and size and they were two programs heading in different directions. I hope that Richlands can fix their program...SWVA is a better place when Richlands is winning 

Again I am Biased...Todd Tiller is building a program that is going to give other teams in this area fits...