Week 6 Updates

SWVAgridiron

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

I know they only had like 14 players going into the game. Bright future with a lot of participation in the lower grades for the Eagles but the upper classes are slim. 

If they hang in there they can turn it around like twin springs has

It's good to see kids still have the desire to play the game like that. The Union's, Graham's, and Appo's of the world go into each season pretty much knowing they are going to be successful. It's the Rye Cove's that help make high school football great in SWVA. They battle it out every week with the kids they have to represent their school. Congrats to Lee on breaking their losing streak. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

They made the right decision. You can’t go out there and play with 11 kids. It’s just not safe. 

Absolutely. Much respect to the coach for making the decision to not put his kids through that the second half. It’s sad to see how programs across the state have had to cancel seasons due to not having enough players. It’s becoming more prominent these last few years. I’m not familiar with that part of Va but are there any other small schools near Rye Cove that could argue for a consolidation?

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Much respect for Coach Osborne, absolutely a decision that was in the best interest of his players. Hopefully, they’ll be able to play some more games.  This season is nowhere near “normal” and may next fall be better & everyone’s numbers up. 

4 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Absolutely. Much respect to the coach for making the decision to not put his kids through that the second half. It’s sad to see how programs across the state have had to cancel seasons due to not having enough players. It’s becoming more prominent these last few years. I’m not familiar with that part of Va but are there any other small schools near Rye Cove that could argue for a consolidation?

No. It’s them, Twin Springs and Gate City. And none of them are close to each other. Consolidation would make them a decent sized Class 3 team and I don’t think they want that. 

5 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Twin Springs and Rye Cove are both small, and would be perfect consolidation partners but they're on opposite ends of the county with no high speed road in between. Also both combined make up roughly 40% of the high school student population so it's not feasible to build a new school without including Gate City.

A regional school solution was and is the solution, but that will never happen.