Backyard Brawl! Richlands @ Tazewell

bulldog05-CO2017

We can talk about parent's trying to run a team, which does happen sometimes. But a good coach and staff wouldn't allow that to happen.  Same goes for not letting the star players do as they wish and skip practices, avoid the hard work, take plays off, etc...

That's why a lot of them have those parent meetings at the beginning of the season.  If parents are running a team, players are taking plays off,  then a part of that blame goes to the coaching staff as well as the parents. Bottom line is that the parents should know better and not try to interfere, but at the same time, the coach needs to draw the line and tell them that they need to step aside and let him do his job.

13 hours ago, EH31 said:

Unofficially he’s 

Completions: 111

Attempts: 170

Completion %: 65%

Yards: 1330

Touchdowns:  12

I knew his completion percentage was over 60 percent.  Some of these folks act like he has a low completion percentage and throws the ball 100 times per game.  If it's working, stick with it.  Everybody knows Tazewell's line was questionable and most folks, myself included were saying they needed to spread it out and throw it around this season (and get the ball out quick).  Now that they are doing exactly what everybody said they needed to do, folks are saying, yeah, but.... they throw it too much and have no run game.  You can't win for losing.

8 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I knew his completion percentage was over 60 percent.  Some of these folks act like he has a low completion percentage and throws the ball 100 times per game.  If it's working, stick with it.  Everybody knows Tazewell's line was questionable and most folks, myself included were saying they needed to spread it out and throw it around this season (and get the ball out quick).  Now that they are doing exactly what everybody said they needed to do, folks are saying, yeah, but.... they throw it too much and have no run game.  You can't win for losing.

For years fans in the stands have yelled to pass the ball instead of the run run run punt formula.  Now we have that and people still complain.  Doesn't matter what you do people will find something to complain about.

I'm sure some of the parents running the show and other issues happen at the other schools as well just nothing is said or it is ignored because of winning culture there.  If Richlands continues their trend look for the same thing to happen there.  Graham dealt with it a few years back with two wonderful coaches they had.  Lot of good points made in some other posts as well with the parents vs coaches and some of it is very obvious even on the winning teams.

When you have green as your color, it is quite less common than the let's pick blue that countless amounts of schools in the area have so being shades off isn't that big of deal.  Instead of whoops this shade is GC or a shade left is Castlewood or to dark and we have Richlands, Union. or Bland.  At least the closest to to us Narrows.

Several random thoughts and statements there, let's just get to Friday and have a good game!

10 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Will the conditions of the field, help Tazewell or Richlands ?

The field is still in great shape.  Unless there is a downpour close to kickoff on Friday, shouldnt be an issue.  If we keep getting this scattered stuff, it wont be a problem.

55 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I think the field is unplayable and dangerous and we should move this game to a real facility with a turf field. Heard there was one open about 19 miles down 460. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Won it on the turf in the spring so no issues there 😁

As far as turf in general, hate the stuff and wish it was ripped up on all fields and back to the days of having to learn/play in all conditions.

2 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Won it on the turf in the spring so no issues there 😁

As far as turf in general, hate the stuff and wish it was ripped up on all fields and back to the days of having to learn/play in all conditions.

Sounds like jealousy to me 😂😂

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Not in the least.  Hate the cost that it takes for the upkeep and watching over the years more injuries have I seen that come on the turf fields.  Still unknown health effects from the dust that kicks up from it. By far I'm no health freak but breathing in that synthetic dust can in no way be good for a person.

Yes if you have a field like Honaker they look very nice, but no thanks on it from me.

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Not in the least.  Hate the cost that it takes for the upkeep and watching over the years more injuries have I seen that come on the turf fields.  Still unknown health effects from the dust that kicks up from it. By far I'm no health freak but breathing in that synthetic dust can in no way be good for a person.

Yes if you have a field like Honaker they look very nice, but no thanks on it from me.

I personally loved playing on turf you know you will have solid footing all the time and you dont have to worry about slipping and sliding in mud or worst after a mud game having ruts all in your field. Now has there been some kids try to cut and there foot get stuck yes but they same sort of thing can happen in a mud bowl game. Honestly I have never seen the dust that you are talking about. There are rubber pellets by the hundreds that you pour out of your cleats but thats it. The turf field allows you to practice and play in any kind of rain which is worth the extra money. Also every turf field I have seen actually has hashes in the middle of the field. 

As far as the game goes I am interested to see which Richlands team shows up, The one that hammered Gate City or the post covid team. If its the one we have seen the last few weeks Tazewell could be able to hurt them with their passing attack which by the numbers is deadly. However I havnt seen either team play in a while. 

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

If I remember correctly tazewell had a fair share of injuries on grass fields two years ago but I may be wrong

3 minutes ago, Blue72 said:

If I remember correctly tazewell had a fair share of injuries on grass fields two years ago but I may be wrong

We had a couple but most of the injuries in 2019 came from the playing on turf fields 4 weeks in a row. At Emory & Henry, Mitchel Stadium, Princeton and then Honaker.  Granted one of those injuries at Princeton was a dirty late hit but still.

I'm not saying there are no injuries on grass just the fact that the normal twisting of the leg is more forgiving on grass and dirt vs the turf.

37 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I personally loved playing on turf you know you will have solid footing all the time and you dont have to worry about slipping and sliding in mud or worst after a mud game having ruts all in your field. Now has there been some kids try to cut and there foot get stuck yes but they same sort of thing can happen in a mud bowl game. Honestly I have never seen the dust that you are talking about. There are rubber pellets by the hundreds that you pour out of your cleats but thats it. The turf field allows you to practice and play in any kind of rain which is worth the extra money. Also every turf field I have seen actually has hashes in the middle of the field. 

As far as the game goes I am interested to see which Richlands team shows up, The one that hammered Gate City or the post covid team. If its the one we have seen the last few weeks Tazewell could be able to hurt them with their passing attack which by the numbers is deadly. However I havnt seen either team play in a while. 

The cost factor can be a big issue though if you don't have a donor that wants to keep pouring money into it.

A game like this I would hate to see the weather slow us down but it is what it is with it and that's just part of the game.

1 minute ago, stu_bean said:

The cost factor can be a big issue though if you don't have a donor that wants to keep pouring money into it.

A game like this I would hate to see the weather slow us down but it is what it is with it and that's just part of the game.

I agree the cost is crazy! But if you have the money I dont see why you wouldnt unless you have a great grounds crew that can keep Bermuda grass in top shape then I would go turf if you had the money.

I dont think loose turf is going to hurt tazewells passing attack honestly that would probably hurt both teams the same where Sage Webb is Richlands best players. A wet ball on the other hand would probably be bad news for the dawgs in this one 

39 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I agree the cost is crazy! But if you have the money I dont see why you wouldnt unless you have a great grounds crew that can keep Bermuda grass in top shape then I would go turf if you had the money.

I dont think loose turf is going to hurt tazewells passing attack honestly that would probably hurt both teams the same where Sage Webb is Richlands best players. A wet ball on the other hand would probably be bad news for the dawgs in this one 

There’s tons of grass varieties other than Bermuda, which only a simpleton would plant in this climate to begin with.  Kentucky Bluegrass, fescues, and ryegrass cover far better; obtain deeper root systems; and are far heartier and more durable in this climate.

It’s pretty well established that field turf leads to significantly more ligament injuries, including non-contact injuries, due to the unforgiving base of the field turf.  

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Hey Ryan, This is the real Blue 72 and it appears that someone is posting under the same logo.  I've been on this board since 2017 and the last couple o f post under Blue 72 is not mine and whoever it is has been listed  as a mity mite, that's not me, what would you suggest.  I'm an old fart and whoever it is appears to be a young kid, can you help me with this?

On 10/7/2021 at 6:32 AM, Ryan4VT said:

I think the field is unplayable and dangerous and we should move this game to a real facility with a turf field. Heard there was one open about 19 miles down 460. 🤷🏻‍♂️

hate to get muddy....

16 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

Y’all just pull out the long cleats, they’ll keep you from slipping and breaking your neck! Just saying! 😂 

Not even those cleats could help on that excuse for a field 😂

On 10/3/2021 at 4:50 PM, Mountain Football said:

@FoxTrot is probably right. Richlands will wear Tazewell down up front. The other side of the coin is Tazewell will probably pick Richlands secondary apart. As Carter/Harris/Mullins continue to work together the better they will get with time. Tazewell could very well be having a parade down Main St after Friday night.

No parade on Friday, just one hell of a party!