Union/Ridgeview

Gridiron60

9 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

I have been getting Blasted on this thread because I feel Ridgeview will win by 3 TDs...I admit I could be wrong...But I have been to every RV game the last two seasons and I can tell you this...They do what ever the defense gives them...Richlands came in and stacked the box with 7-8 men at times and RV threw all over them...I have seen teams attempt to put two high safeties and Ridgeview run the ball down their throats..
In my opinion Travis Turner has the toughest Job of the night...He has to decide how he wants RV to play..They will either run it or pass it..I keep Seeing folks say “RV is a throwing team” That is not the case..They Average over 200 yards a game Rushing and about 120 passing..Oquinn Completes a lot of short Easy open passes. I have seen Oquinn change the play and throw deep to the Beavers kid when the Defense plays him 1 on 1..If you double the Beavers kid, Koda Counts catches the  ball just as good and sometimes even better than Beavers..Counts Actually has more catches than Beavers...The Running Back for Ridgeview is also a threat when he is not running power. I bet Coach Tiller is praying that Turner plays RV like he did Graham..5 in the box

How much depth does RV have? I watched the game vs Richlands. It didn't look like they had many kids. After watching the game, I'll have to say I think they have a shot at beating Union. But if they don't have some depth to rotate some kids in to give others a break it may be a long night. Union wears you down. Very physical team across the board. Strong hard nosed kids that love football. Very well coached. I know I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

2 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

How much depth does RV have? I watched the game vs Richlands. It didn't look like they had many kids. After watching the game, I'll have to say I think they have a shot at beating Union. But if they don't have some depth to rotate some kids in to give others a break it may be a long night. Union wears you down. Very physical team across the board. Strong hard nosed kids that love football. Very well coached. I know I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

This is going to be an amazing game! I will be there early with my Popcorn!! This game will tell a lot about both teams

18 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

I have been getting Blasted on this thread because I feel Ridgeview will win by 3 TDs...I admit I could be wrong...But I have been to every RV game the last two seasons and I can tell you this...They do what ever the defense gives them...Richlands came in and stacked the box with 7-8 men at times and RV threw all over them...I have seen teams attempt to put two high safeties and Ridgeview run the ball down their throats..
In my opinion Travis Turner has the toughest Job of the night...He has to decide how he wants RV to play..They will either run it or pass it..I keep Seeing folks say “RV is a throwing team” That is not the case..They Average over 200 yards a game Rushing and about 120 passing..Oquinn Completes a lot of short Easy open passes. I have seen Oquinn change the play and throw deep to the Beavers kid when the Defense plays him 1 on 1..If you double the Beavers kid, Koda Counts catches the  ball just as good and sometimes even better than Beavers..Counts Actually has more catches than Beavers...The Running Back for Ridgeview is also a threat when he is not running power. I bet Coach Tiller is praying that Turner plays RV like he did Graham..5 in the box

I actually don’t think RV throws enough TBH.  I’d throw 18-22 times a game or roughly 40%.   I disagree on them throwing short routes…..they love Beavers on the fade and run Counts up the seam as well.  I’ve always said a modern read based passing game would be hard to defend in SWVA …if you can get some athletes.  There are no dominant DE’s or CB’s here.  Will be interesting to see RV develop their QB and passing attack going forward.

4 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

This is going to be an amazing game! I will be there early with my Popcorn!! This game will tell a lot about both teams

If Graham wasn't playing Bluefield Friday night, I would he at the park eating some popcorn as well. This has the makings of being one helluva game. I really wish the Union folks could talk Turner into playing on Saturday. 😂

16 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I actually don’t think RV throws enough TBH.  I’d throw 18-22 times a game or roughly 40%.   I disagree on them throwing short routes…..they love Beavers on the fade and run Counts up the seam as well.  I’ve always said a modern read based passing game would be hard to defend in SWVA …if you can get some athletes.  There are no dominant DE’s or CB’s here.  Will be interesting to see RV develop their QB and passing attack going forward.

We are definitely seeing a modern passing offense in Dickenson County...They have 5 WRs out on most Pass plays  

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

If Graham wasn't playing Bluefield Friday night, I would he at the park eating some popcorn as well. This has the makings of being one helluva game. I really wish the Union folks could talk Turner into playing on Saturday. 😂

If it's raining Friday I hope it's moved to Saturday.  Getting to old to sit in the rain

I finally got the chance to watch some video on Ridgeview. #7 is flat out impressive. He stands out more than anyone. I don't want to take anything away from the QB or Hill as they are impressive too, but I think #7 makes this team go. Union will have to take him out of the game in anyway they can. Line looks huge, so we'll see how that works out with the run game and protecting the QB because we will have to get pressure on him and keep him rattled. Bears' biggest weakness has almost always been against the pass, but, if they play smart, I think this group will be able to handle it. My main concern is the Ridgeview QB scrambling for 1st downs on covered pass plays.

I don't think our run game will be stopped, but not sure how successful we'll be through the air with a wet ball. Weather is looking much better for game time, but ground will still be wet if the current forecast holds up. Going to be an exciting atmosphere tomorrow night!

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

I finally got the chance to watch some video on Ridgeview. #7 is flat out impressive. He stands out more than anyone. I don't want to take anything away from the QB or Hill as they are impressive too, but I think #7 makes this team go. Union will have to take him out of the game in anyway they can. Line looks huge, so we'll see how that works out with the run game and protecting the QB because we will have to get pressure on him and keep him rattled. Bears' biggest weakness has almost always been against the pass, but, if they play smart, I think this group will be able to handle it. My main concern is the Ridgeview QB scrambling for 1st downs on covered pass plays.

I don't think our run game will be stopped, but not sure how successful we'll be through the air with a wet ball. Weather is looking much better for game time, but ground will still be wet if the current forecast holds up. Going to be an exciting atmosphere tomorrow night!

If I’m RV, I’d test the Bunch and Jenkins kids in short and intermediate routes…..they’ll be sitting in the deep ball…which pulls them out of the box. They are good athletes but not true DBs.  Double moves, combo routes….make them play positional  technique…Can they flip those hips and be fluid.  It isn’t the easiest thing to cover someone who runs crisp routes and is a “true” WR like #7 and #5 for RV.  If RV’s line holds up…there will be mismatches as they also use #13 as a WR and he is very capable and has good ball skills.  Hopefully weather doesn’t play a factor and we have an exciting game.  If this was at RV…on turf and dry, I’d go RV all day……but at Bullitt with rain…..not so sure…seems like it favors Unions rushing attack. Probably decided by turnovers.

41 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

If I’m RV, I’d test the Bunch and Jenkins kids in short and intermediate routes…..they’ll be sitting in the deep ball…which pulls them out of the box. They are good athletes but not true DBs.  Double moves, combo routes….make them play positional  technique…Can they flip those hips and be fluid.  It isn’t the easiest thing to cover someone who runs crisp routes and is a “true” WR like #7 and #5 for RV.  If RV’s line holds up…there will be mismatches as they also use #13 as a WR and he is very capable and has good ball skills.  Hopefully weather doesn’t play a factor and we have an exciting game.  If this was at RV…on turf and dry, I’d go RV all day……but at Bullitt with rain…..not so sure…seems like it favors Unions rushing attack. Probably decided by turnovers.

If the QB has time, Union will give up some passes. I think Bunch and Jenkins are up for the challenge, but field conditions may come in to play if they have to abruptly change directions. I could be totally wrong as anything can happen, but I think the outcome of this game will be decided in the 1st quarter barring late game turnovers and/or colossal mistakes.

If Union runs down the field and scores without much resistance, it will only get worse as the game goes along. On the flip side, if Ridgeview has early success on long TD passes and gets up by a couple scores, it may make the Bears "uncomfortable" with their normal game plan.

I did notice that Central ran the ball decently, and got into the red zone several times, but came away with nothing due to penalties and miscues. I believe Union will run the ball well, but they will need to do so without the penalties, turnovers and miscues that doomed them at Graham.

Weather forecast continues to improve from 6-10 tomorrow night.

18 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

Where are you seeing team and individual stats for Ridgeview? I would be interested in seeing them if you could share a link.

20 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

Here is a fact:TRAVIS NEVER NEVER gets outcoached,(maybe APPOMATTOX) I have never seen him switch up the defense due to one great player on the other sideline, hint hint hint ADKINS  at RIDGEVIEW , he may tweek it by putting a super fast corner as a pass rusher as a end (like JENKINS OR SATTERFIELD) or he might use the ALL STATE BASKETBALL PLAYER (BUNCH)at safety (6'5"++)and see if the young gun O'QUINN CAN GET IT OVER HIM.It should be a great game hope all the kids stay healthy before and after the game.

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Here is a fact:TRAVIS NEVER NEVER gets outcoached,(maybe APPOMATTOX) I have never seen him switch up the defense due to one great player on the other sideline, hint hint hint ADKINS  at RIDGEVIEW , he may tweek it by putting a super fast corner as a pass rusher as a end (like JENKINS OR SATTERFIELD) or he might use the ALL STATE BASKETBALL PLAYER (BUNCH)at safety (6'5"++)and see if the young gun O'QUINN CAN GET IT OVER HIM.It should be a great game hope all the kids stay healthy before and after the game.

If you see two safeties or a bracket over #7 then, in fact, they changed their defense for one player.  I don’t think the DC is too prideful to gameplan for an offense.  This isn’t the same as Atkins…who is a RB.  If you want to defend a 4/5 wide true spread, you absolutely have to make adjustments.

4 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

I wouldn’t go that far! I’ve seen Rick Mullins out coach him a few times! To be fair the last time they were at the park he got the better of Mullins!

13 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I wouldn’t go that far! I’ve seen Rick Mullins out coach him a few times! To be fair the last time they were at the park he got the better of Mullins!

Mullins never made it past region(Ridgeview) a couple of those teams were loaded , should have went to state. Mullins got Travis a few times Clintwood and the Ridge but Travis has gotten the better of the series lately, you all should have won two years ago but there was some bonehead calls on Mullins part. 
Mullins had some great teams at Clintwood and they were the class of state in the days before Riverheads and gave the P V Viking fits during the 80s and 90s 

13 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Mullins never made it past region(Ridgeview) a couple of those teams were loaded , should have went to state. Mullins got Travis a few times Clintwood and the Ridge but Travis has gotten the better of the series lately, you all should have won two years ago but there was some bonehead calls on Mullins part. 
Mullins had some great teams at Clintwood and they were the class of state in the days before Riverheads and gave the P V Viking fits during the 80s and 90s 

The game two years ago and the last two playoff games against Central and Richlands more specifically left a lot to be desired with regards to play calling. I’m not close to the program so I don’t know the internal politics that were att play with that. Just heard some rumors about feelings being hurt here and there! But he did build a solid foundation for the Wolfpack program that hopefully Tiller can build upon.

Long term this will be the biggest M7 game each year. 

10 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

The game two years ago and the last two playoff games against Central and Richlands more specifically left a lot to be desired with regards to play calling. I’m not close to the program so I don’t know the internal politics that were att play with that. Just heard some rumors about feelings being hurt here and there! But he did build a solid foundation for the Wolfpack program that hopefully Tiller can build upon.

Long term this will be the biggest M7 game each year. 

Don't forget Abingdon. Amburgy is doing a great job over there.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Don't forget Abingdon. Amburgy is doing a great job over there.

Oh no question, and Central too currently.I’m just saying historically Appy , PV, cwood, and Haysi were always fairly consistent playoff teams. Gate City as well. Rv and Union have picked up those traditions and consistency.