Best SWVA football uniform

SwvaOG

There are a lot of unique uniforms and names in SWVA football. Try to take off those team colored glasses and list your favorites. It can be an alternate uniform as they really are becoming more common.  So let’s hear the following:

1) Favorite team Name (Ex: Graham Gmen or JI Burton Raiders

2) Favorite Helmet (Ex:VA High)

3) Favorite Uniform (Ex: Richlands Home: Blue on White)

Heck, attach pics if you can.

Im a fan of Grahams grey uniforms, Im hoping Bluefield comes out with their new Jordans on.   Ive seen pictures.  They are my new favorite.

The Man High School HillBillies is my favorite mascot name.  

Can we add least favorite uniform?  The all yellow Graham unis.  

I'm a fan of Graham's originality. There aren't many schools around here that have an original logo, let alone an original name. While "Scarlet Hurricanes" isn't as cool or creative as "G-Men," I'd like to point out that Marion took that name from a local landmark back in the 20s before there were any nationally relevant teams named the "Hurricanes," which is pretty cool considering what a generic name it seems like now.

As far as unis go, I usually like Abingdon's Oregon imitations. In particular, the uni coupled with the mirror "wings" on the helmet a couple of years back was a slick look.

I like any helmet that has an original logo on it. My favorite was probably PH's helmet from a few years ago that had a silhouette of Patrick Henry inside the "PH."

20210629005948_190_mascot300.png

On 10/7/2021 at 8:31 PM, Plywood_King said:

I'm a fan of Graham's originality. There aren't many schools around here that have an original logo, let alone an original name. While "Scarlet Hurricanes" isn't as cool or creative as "G-Men," I'd like to point out that Marion took that name from a local landmark back in the 20s before there were any nationally relevant teams named the "Hurricanes," which is pretty cool considering what a generic name it seems like now.

As far as unis go, I usually like Abingdon's Oregon imitations. In particular, the uni coupled with the mirror "wings" on the helmet a couple of years back was a slick look.

I like any helmet that has an original logo on it. My favorite was probably PH's helmet from a few years ago that had a silhouette of Patrick Henry inside the "PH."

20210629005948_190_mascot300.png

There was a weird obsession in the region for naming teams after weather events while including a descriptive color:  Marion Scarlet Hurricane, Richlands Blue Tornadoes (one of my favs), Grundy Golden Wave, Clintwood Green Wave.  All of those are unique.  Let’s not forget “Bearcats”, the old Garden Green Dragons…..always wondered why there weren’t more teams names after the coal industry “miners”…prospectors, etc.

There were a few years that Grundy resembled Notre Dame…looked sharp.  Union’s colors are worlds better that Appalachia and PV.  Graham has a classic helmet and name.  I’m a fan of Ridgeview’s Gray on gray 

Team Name: GMen (Original, not generic) I also like Ridgeview Wolfpack name. 

Team Helmet: GStar (I’m slightly biased) Tazewell helmet with Bulldog is cool. 

Team Uniform: I agree with another poster, Ridgeview gray on gray is sharp. 
Graham white jersey & khaki pants is my favorite Graham uniform. 

Worst Uniform: Graham’s yellow on yellow!!! Bad, bad mojo 😂😂 ; substitute maroon pants then I’m good. 

22 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

There was a weird obsession in the region for naming teams after weather events while including a descriptive color:  Marion Scarlet Hurricane, Richlands Blue Tornadoes (one of my favs), Grundy Golden Wave, Clintwood Green Wave.  All of those are unique.  Let’s not forget “Bearcats”, the old Garden Green Dragons…..always wondered why there weren’t more teams names after the coal industry “miners”…prospectors, etc.

There were a few years that Grundy resembled Notre Dame…looked sharp.  Union’s colors are worlds better that Appalachia and PV.  Graham has a classic helmet and name.  I’m a fan of Ridgeview’s Gray on gray image.thumb.jpeg.a9fa4aa5a745f7923f0e5ab941a95a5c.jpeg

Have to disagree with the PV Appy comments! Appy has great uniforms with the blue jerseys over white! PV want too bad with the baby blue and red. They were both better than what Union has worn the past few years! But there is really no wrong answer!

2 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Have to disagree with the PV Appy comments! Appy has great uniforms with the blue jerseys over white! PV want too bad with the baby blue and red. They were both better than what Union has worn the past few years! But there is really no wrong answer!

I miss those blue and gold jerseys from Appy and plain blue helmets.  Never cared to much for flashy jerseys.  Hell I like Penn St. plain white ones.  That crap they wear in Oregon is ugly as you can get

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

There were a few years that Grundy resembled Notre Dame…looked sharp.  Union’s colors are worlds better that Appalachia and PV.  Graham has a classic helmet and name.  I’m a fan of Ridgeview’s Gray on gray image.thumb.jpeg.a9fa4aa5a745f7923f0e5ab941a95a5c.jpeg

Wut? Never heard anyone say they liked Unions bland, boring color scheme better than PV or Appalachia. PVs old colors were fantastic. 

Anymore everyone is wearing gray. I like the school colors for older fan. I watched Radford play Fort Chiswell in 2017 in a last play 26-23 game and could not tell which team was which until the first score. Both wore gray. Fort’s first home jersey in years this year, gold helmets and pants and black shirts. The way it’s supposed to be.

18 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Green Wave really isn't that unique: Narrows, Tulane, etc. If you look around the country Wave is fairly common and green seems to be the color of choice for some reason.

The mining theme is interesting, imo mining really wasn't a thing for that long in relation to local schools. Mining only took place in SWVA for around 100 years and most local schools (not counting small "school houses") weren't established until the 50s. I dont think mining was something with deep historical roots at that time, as much as just a fact of life. A lot of schools nationally use farming mascots but those are in areas where farming goes back hundreds of years and the tradition is deep rooted.

Just my thoughts 

6 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I'm a huge fan of Brown and Yellow/Gold and think it should be criminal what these teams do by adding gray or black (Mountain View, David Crockett). Wyoming looks incredible in the color scheme!

Not every color looks good with gray. Not a fan of Union's grays either.

I agree. I kind of wish the gray/charcoal stuff would fade away unless your natural color scheme is gray like Thomas Walker as an example.  Also its been weird for me to see Twin Springs wearing black uniforms every now and then the last couple of years.

I really liked Richlands UCLA Blue with white pants and helmet . Color scheme lasted for a few years ,but they returned to the original colors several years ago . Anyone remember the light blue with red numbers ? Hideous!

13 minutes ago, ojrussell said:

I really liked Richlands UCLA Blue with white pants and helmet . Color scheme lasted for a few years ,but they returned to the original colors several years ago . Anyone remember the light blue with red numbers ? Hideous!

Yep.  I remember the light blue pants with red and white stripes that we sometimes wore on the road even though jerseys usually had navy accents.  A lot of light blue/red foolishness back in the 1970s all around.