Best SWVA football uniform

SwvaOG

On 10/9/2021 at 5:14 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands changed their helmets. The left side had the lightning R, but now the right side has the old early 90’s BLUES on them. 

Big, big fan. 

Thought that’s what I seen the other night. 

On 10/9/2021 at 1:43 PM, SwvaOG said:

I do think the consolidation school names were bland as hell.  My all time favorite name (I would t want to have the name though) are the Poca “Dots” in WV.  I mean…wow….that’s courage.

Agreed! I thought Ridgeview should have been the ridge runners!

49 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Agreed! I thought Ridgeview should have been the ridge runners!

I heard “Miners” was one of the final options as well.  I think they have the best name of the consolidated schools.  Ridgerunners would have been cool.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:14 PM, ojrussell said:

I really liked Richlands UCLA Blue with white pants and helmet . Color scheme lasted for a few years ,but they returned to the original colors several years ago . Anyone remember the light blue with red numbers ? Hideous!

In case anyone else is remotely interested, here is a shot of a Richlands player from 1974.  The jersey is light blue with red numerals and white cuffs.  The pants are light blue with a red/white/red stripe.  The helmet is obviously white -- both the stripe and the 'R' logo are red.

346392483_RHSfootball1974.jpg.cc10408a10f5b219c78eeee3876f9c0c.jpg

2 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

In case anyone else is remotely interested, here is a shot of a Richlands player from 1974.  The jersey is light blue with red numerals and white cuffs.  The pants are light blue with a red/white/red stripe.  The helmet is obviously white -- both the stripe and the 'R' logo are red.

346392483_RHSfootball1974.jpg.cc10408a10f5b219c78eeee3876f9c0c.jpg

What was the story behind the color changes?

15 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

What was the story behind the color changes?

I really don't know but I can offer some observations.

In the 1950s Ernie Hicks began to outfit his teams in uniforms that closely resembled the Detroit Lions (with silver helmets and light blue jerseys).  I don't know if Coach Hicks was a particular supporter of the Lions or not, but given the success and popularity of that franchise in that decade the it is unlikely that the emulation by RHS was simply a coincidence.

Not sure whether it happened with Bill Peery or Jim Hammond, but silver was dropped altogether in the late 1960s.  The primary color was still a light blue (although it was a shade or two darker than the Columbia Blue version that Hicks had favored) paired directly with white.  Helmets were either blue with a white stripe or white with a blue stripe.  Pants had the same arrangement.  And jerseys were blue with white UCLA-type shoulder stripes at home (with the reverse being used on the road).

Shortly after 1970 the football uniforms had switched to White and Navy Blue with red accents of various types.  The light blue uniform that I posted began to be rotated in around 1973 or so-- even though Navy Blue and red were also worn more often than not.  One of the more confusing outfits was a road uniform featuring the light blue pants paired with white jerseys that had Navy Blue primary numerals, red numerals on the sleeves, and red cuffs -- all topped with a white helmet featuring Navy/White/Red/White/Navy stripes.  But other sports, cheerleading uniforms, and letterman's jackets continued to be produced in the light blue color that emerged in the late 1960s.  (That particular shade often varied widely from a very light Columbia Blue to a greenish hue almost resembling Aqua.)

Todd Heldreth standardized Navy Blue and White when he arrived in 1979 and applied it across the board.  Dennis Vaught introduced silver as a secondary color when he arrived, but I think the official colors have been Navy and White effectively since 1979.

8 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I love the old school beauty of Appy's plain blue helmets and no-frills mesh jerseys (Photo Credit: BHC Sports) 

50dcd293aeb0c.image.jpg.1cc1467ede53da59a323a71cb48d6637.jpg

I'll never forget them showing up at GC one night 5 minutes before the game started. They got off the bus and walked straight to the sideline, proceeded to kick our hind ends, and walked back to the bus. I had nothing but respect for that bunch.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:27 PM, RichlandsAlum said:

I really don't know but I can offer some observations.

In the 1950s Ernie Hicks began to outfit his teams in uniforms that closely resembled the Detroit Lions (with silver helmets and light blue jerseys).  I don't know if Coach Hicks was a particular supporter of the Lions or not, but given the success and popularity of that franchise in that decade the it is unlikely that the emulation by RHS was simply a coincidence.

Not sure whether it happened with Bill Peery or Jim Hammond, but silver was dropped altogether in the late 1960s.  The primary color was still a light blue (although it was a shade or two darker than the Columbia Blue version that Hicks had favored) paired directly with white.  Helmets were either blue with a white stripe or white with a blue stripe.  Pants had the same arrangement.  And jerseys were blue with white UCLA-type shoulder stripes at home (with the reverse being used on the road).

Shortly after 1970 the football uniforms had switched to White and Navy Blue with red accents of various types.  The light blue uniform that I posted began to be rotated in around 1973 or so-- even though Navy Blue and red were also worn more often than not.  One of the more confusing outfits was a road uniform featuring the light blue pants paired with white jerseys that had Navy Blue primary numerals, red numerals on the sleeves, and red cuffs -- all topped with a white helmet featuring Navy/White/Red/White/Navy stripes.  But other sports, cheerleading uniforms, and letterman's jackets continued to be produced in the light blue color that emerged in the late 1960s.  (That particular shade often varied widely from a very light Columbia Blue to a greenish hue almost resembling Aqua.)

Todd Heldreth standardized Navy Blue and White when he arrived in 1979 and applied it across the board.  Dennis Vaught introduced silver as a secondary color when he arrived, but I think the official colors have been Navy and White effectively since 1979.

The Navy and white is a classic look, but would be fun to see the Rs, bring out some red once in a while. 

As a previous poster said I always liked the Rich Valley Steers schemes. No I didn't go to school in Smyth County but my Dad was from Rich Valley and I have lots of family in the area.

I was surprised that the students of RB Worhy (Shakers) and Rich Valley chose such a generic nickname as Panthers but I guess there had to compromises between the 2 student bodies.

As an aside my Mom is a 1956 graduate of Gary High School (Coaldiggers).

I have uploaded 2 photos of the Rich Valley Steers. I know the baseball pic is 1978. I believe the football pic is 1983.

rich valley steers.jpg

richvalley baseball.jpg

13 hours ago, Hephaestus said:

As a previous poster said I always liked the Rich Valley Steers schemes. No I didn't go to school in Smyth County but my Dad was from Rich Valley and I have lots of family in the area.

I was surprised that the students of RB Worhy (Shakers) and Rich Valley chose such a generic nickname as Panthers but I guess there had to compromises between the 2 student bodies.

As an aside my Mom is a 1956 graduate of Gary High School (Coaldiggers).

I have uploaded 2 photos of the Rich Valley Steers. I know the baseball pic is 1978. I believe the football pic is 1983.

rich valley steers.jpg

richvalley baseball.jpg

Not a group to be messed with. Rich Valley players were farm boy strong. Their strength and conditioning program consisted of working in the hay field, cutting firewood, building fence, and milking cows. 

On 10/17/2021 at 2:31 PM, Grapeape said:

Always felt Steers / Bulls nicknames were hard on the girl’s sports, because then they’re just the Cows. Unfortunate. Nick Colobro changed GC from Royal to Columbia blue from 83-92, which would make a cool throwback, imo. 

RVHS girls teams were the "Lassies". Rich Valley said it referred to the Scottish term for adolescent girls, while Chilhowie and Saltville claimed they were named after the Collie.  

On 10/9/2021 at 2:45 PM, Union_Fan said:

Think so. haha  I didn't like them, and I'm a Tennessee fan!

I still think the original pear white helmets were the best, but the blue ones have grown on me.

Uh oh they brought the all orange back I know you love them