Week 7 updates

VHSLhelper

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

You're right but unfortunately that hasn't been the case at Lee High in decades. They are hell bent on running off any coach who gains a modicum of success. It's insane. 

This is true and sad. I remember when they first consolidated and we're just killing teams in the old Highlands district. For a few years, no one around here could touch them except PV.

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

You're right but unfortunately that hasn't been the case at Lee High in decades. They are hell bent on running off any coach who gains a modicum of success. It's insane. 

I feel like it may different this time around.  They are so lucky to have Joey come back home and he has already made a huge impact and he is the type of coach you don't want to lose.  

5 minutes ago, SWVA_HOKIE said:

I feel like it may different this time around.  They are so lucky to have Joey come back home and he has already made a huge impact and he is the type of coach you don't want to lose.  

I agree 100% with the second part, Lee was very fortunate he took the job. It was not a job that many coaches would even entertain. 

I hope you're right about the first part, Lee deserves to see some Ws and have some fun after being so bad for so long. Those kids work hard as hell, just like all these local kids, hopefully they get to experience some of the rewards of the hard work.

8 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

This is true and sad. I remember when they first consolidated and we're just killing teams in the old Highlands district. For a few years, no one around here could touch them except PV.

As a kid in BSG, the Battle of the Boot was a LEGIT rivalry. Lee always had some MONSTER linemen and were more than capable of beating PV.  From 1991-1996, Lee beat PV three times. PV won two state titles during that time (94-95). They beat the 1994 state title team. They ended a 25 game win streak by PV in the 1996 opener. Made the D4 (4A now) final four in 1997. They were a powerhouse. But then they fell apart and started to run off every coach who managed to win. Since that run that ended in mid 90s, Lee has beaten PV/Union once, 2002. They've went 1-27 against Big Stone since then. A shame.

12 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

From 1991-1996, Lee beat PV three times. PV won two state titles during that time (94-95). They beat the 1994 state title team. They ended a 25 game win streak by PV in the 1996 opener. Made the D4 (4A now) final four in 1997. They were a powerhouse. But then they fell apart and started to run off every coach who managed to win. 

Even in that period there was a coaching change. Lee has NEVER had consistency at the Head Coach position. Hopefully they leave Carroll alone

Just now, redtiger said:

Even in that period there was a coaching change. Lee has NEVER had consistency at the Head Coach position. Hopefully they leave Carroll alone

I totally forgot, you're right. I forgot Kisner took over for a few years before Don Williams came back. Carroll is their sixth coach since 2008 by my count. Six! 

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

As a kid in BSG, the Battle of the Boot was a LEGIT rivalry. Lee always had some MONSTER linemen and were more than capable of beating PV.  From 1991-1996, Lee beat PV three times. PV won two state titles during that time (94-95). They beat the 1994 state title team. They ended a 25 game win streak by PV in the 1996 opener. Made the D4 (4A now) final four in 1997. They were a powerhouse. But then they fell apart and started to run off every coach who managed to win. Since that run that ended in mid 90s, Lee has beaten PV/Union once, 2002. They've went 1-27 against Big Stone since then. A shame.

I never played against Lee in any sport in the late 90's but remember that they were really good in almost every sport in the 90's.  I have no clue what the upcoming classes look like but I know if there is some talent and their qb is a freshman right now then they will be a problem sooner than later!

Just now, SWVA_HOKIE said:

I never played against Lee in any sport in the late 90's but remember that they were really good in almost every sport in the 90's.  I have no clue what the upcoming classes look like but I know if there is some talent and their qb is a freshman right now then they will be a problem sooner than later!

They were already on a pretty severe downturn by time I was in HS (although my soph year was the last time Lee beat a BSG team in football) in most sports except girls basketball. They had some good ass teams with the Cluesman sisters.

As dismal as John Battle is, the Lee/Gate City game coming up Friday night will likely decide the M7’s 4th playoff spot.  Now, I think Gate City wins by a few scores, but who could have imagined Lee being in this position 3 weeks ago, riding a 23-game losing streak?  What a rebound season for Lee, weaker competition be darned.  If Lee can somehow, some way beat Gate City, and Lee gets to 5-5, how could Carroll not be the M7’s COY?  He probably should be at 4-6, in all honesty.

14 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

As dismal as John Battle is, the Lee/Gate City game coming up Friday night will likely decide the M7’s 4th playoff spot.  Now, I think Gate City wins by a few scores, but who could have imagined Lee being in this position 3 weeks ago, riding a 23-game losing streak?  What a rebound season for Lee, weaker competition be darned.  If Lee can somehow, some way beat Gate City, and Lee gets to 5-5, how could Carroll not be the M7’s COY?  He probably should be at 4-6, in all honesty.

Even if GC beats Lee this week, there is a chance that a 4-6 Lee outpoints a 4-6 GC.

46 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Even if GC beats Lee this week, there is a chance that a 4-6 Lee outpoints a 4-6 GC.

I'll try to eyeball the math here to see if it works.

It is likely that GC and Lee will have the same results against the following opponents:

(1) Abingdon (L)

(2) Union (L)

(3) Ridgeview (L)

(4) Central (L)

(5) John Battle (W)

Those 5 results will wash from a Power Points perspective, so those won't be the deciding factor.  

Obviously, GC plays Lee.  We'll come back to that later.

The four different opponents are:

(1) Gate City: Richlands (L), Radford (L), Marion (W), Lebanon (W)

(2) Lee: Patrick Henry (L), Rye Cove (W), J.I. Burton (W), East Montgomery (W).

Richlands likely ends the season at 3-6.  

Radford likely ends the season at 7-3.

Marion likely ends the season at 1-9.

Lebanon likely ends the season at 2-8 (1 toss-up game L).

Patrick Henry likely ends the season at 8-2 (1 toss-up game W).

Rye Cove likely ends the season at 0-10.

J.I. Burton likely ends the season at 2-7 (1 toss-up game L).

East Montgomery likely ends the season at 4-6 (1 toss-up game L).

Excluding their own matchup, the Power Points would shake out like this:

Gate City: 11 + 15 + 20 + 22 = 68

Lee: 16 + 18 + 22 + 26 = 82

That's a 14-point disparity.  Lee obviously outpoints GC with a win, so we won't consider that.  If GC beats Lee, that would make GC 4-6 and Lee 4-6.  GC would get 26 points for the win, Lee would get 12 points for the loss.

That makes it a dead even tie.  It would come down to one of those toss-up games I listed swinging another way (like East Montgomery/Covington, etc.).  If the points are dead even at the end, wouldn't GC get the nod based on head-to-head?

14 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It is likely that GC and Lee will have the same results against the following opponents:

(1) Abingdon (L)

(2) Union (L)

(3) Ridgeview (L)

(4) Central (L)

(5) John Battle (W)

Those 5 results will wash from a Power Points perspective, so those won't be the deciding factor.  

That's a 14-point disparity.  Lee obviously outpoints GC with a win, so we won't consider that.  If GC beats Lee, that would make GC 4-6 and Lee 4-6.  GC would get 26 points for the win, Lee would get 12 points for the loss.

That makes it a dead even tie.  It would come down to one of those toss-up games I listed swinging another way (like East Montgomery/Covington, etc.).  If the points are dead even at the end, wouldn't GC get the nod based on head-to-head?

That's about what I have. There's been no official make-up game for PH/Grundy, that I've seen, so that could possibly take away 1 pt from Lee. I think Burton is the most likely toss-up of the toss-ups. If they go beat TW, and all other teams finish as you have listed, that could give Lee a 166 to 165 PPT lead over GC.

I still think GC should be favored by at least 2 TDs, but at this point, Lee could very easily take the W Saturday night. And yes, the head to head winner would be the tie breaker.

Edited by Union_Fan

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

(1) Abingdon (L)

(2) Union (L)

(3) Ridgeview (L)

(4) Central (L)

(5) John Battle (W)

Will RC go 0-9 or 0-10? Not sure how the Twin Valley game will officially go in the books.

18 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

GATE CITY LOOKED VERY GOOD LAST NIGHT AGAINST ABINGDON,THEY CONTROLED THE LINE ALL NIGHT, BUT THE BIG PASS PLAY AND THE RECOVERED KICKOFF PUT GATE CITY BEHIND THE 8 BALL.JENKINS WENT OFF 

https://giphy.com/clips/hamlet-debate-argue-out-of-the-loop-QNvOkY2y4bU212laQw

Lee came to our field in 90 or 91 can't remember which and hammered us 44-14  and had a couple of massive linemen. We went there the next year and was supposed to get blown out. Their coach tooknusnonna tour of the facilities and field as a group and was an outstanding host. We ended winning 14-8 and I remember their coach coming onto our bus as we was leaving and he told us not to let anyone to tell us it was a fluke win that we just out played them. 

I gained massive respect for that man. What was his name? 

37 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Lee came to our field in 90 or 91 can't remember which and hammered us 44-14  and had a couple of massive linemen. We went there the next year and was supposed to get blown out. Their coach tooknusnonna tour of the facilities and field as a group and was an outstanding host. We ended winning 14-8 and I remember their coach coming onto our bus as we was leaving and he told us not to let anyone to tell us it was a fluke win that we just out played them. 

I gained massive respect for that man. What was his name? 

From 89-92, it would have been Don Williams. He was the coach at Pennington Gap when they consolidated. He was a legend back in the day.