Battle of the Undefeated: VA High vs Graham

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

For the Graham guys that think Virginia High can’t hang - are you basing this on the game in the spring or have you actually watched Virginia this fall? 

Stevie Thomas was only 5 months removed from knee surgery in the spring. 

I think it’s more about line play than the spring film. Watching VA highs last two contests, they may get outmatched upfront.

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Why do people say "they may get hurt" playing against a team that's better? It's not like they are playing an NFL team....a person could hurt playing Craig Co or hurley just as easy as playing graham or Appomattox

The only thing I can think of is it’s less competitive meaning your starters get pulled and a running clock.

21 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

True but you can get hurt first or last play...don't matter when

Heck you can get hurt in practice, one of Graham's starters broke his leg in practice at beginning of season; should be back in a couple of weeks I think. 

11 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Exactly my point

You can also get hurt getting out of the bed in morning doesn’t make it as dangerous as riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Statistically speaking the more snaps your starters take the more opportunity to get them injured. There is a trade off as your team doesn’t get competitive snaps but it does limit injury exposure.

14 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Exactly my point

Same thing here. Why do people talk about one of the teams having a chance to win?  Isn't it pretty common that both teams usually have a chance by showing up?  That's to easy. No need in picking the games then.

I never understand why people say one team might get hit with big plays. LOL, of course there a chance.

Back to the common sense part. When a person says one team might get kids hurt it generally points to the line discrepancy or physicality disparity (And I think you knew that).

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Disagree...so nobody has ever gotten hurt against a smaller less athletic lineman?

You can get hurt against ANY team...that's common sense

Great point, but to take that a step further, when you are playing a team much more physical, your chances go up. Ask VA Techs QB last night. You can die at any point in time, but jump off a cliff with no parachute or rope, and if the cliff is 100 feet, your chances go up.

For the VA High fan who asked about the Graham fan who said VA High can't hang with Graham, well, I'm not a Graham guy, but yes, on the second part, this game will get ugly and it will be Exactly as I described, a physical beating.  The original point I made was clear enough in implication, and that is ...One team is far more physical than the other. Save the post and we will revisit this weekend. VA High is going to get pummeled.

12 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Great point, but to take that a step further, when you are playing a team much more physical, your chances go up. Ask VA Techs QB last night. You can die at any point in time, but jump off a cliff with no parachute or rope, and if the cliff is 100 feet, your chances go up.

Didn't he get hurt at some point against Richmond too? Hmmmmmm

22 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Wait… I always thought it was cold-cocked. Am I crazy? It’s not coal-cocked is it???

Maybe he was using voice dictation?? That screws up a lot of stuff especially if you have a southern twang 😂. I was once giving directions and said, look for the pond and turn left & somehow it got turned into look for dead bodies 😂😂😂

32 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Maybe he was using voice dictation?? That screws up a lot of stuff especially if you have a southern twang 😂. I was once giving directions and said, look for the pond and turn left & somehow it got turned into look for dead bodies 😂😂😂

So...you keep the bodies in the pond??? Aren't you afraid they'll float to the top? I always found cement works best! 😂

34 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

That was me never did find those bodies

20 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

Graham and Union are the BEST!!! Everyone in the region should bow down…Is that what you think?  Graham is much better than VA High, but I would bet VA High can put up 21-28 points! 

Union and Graham are currently the teams to beat and they have the advantage over the others.  Can they be beaten?,  of course.  2 weeks ago, I would have said that Va High would put up 21 - 28 points.  Now?  I'm not so sure, Graham has some new pieces on defense and a couple of young linemen that are starting to understand their role better on the defense.  If Virginia High puts up 21 - 28 this week, if I were Graham's coaches, I would worry about how they are coming along on defense.  I think Graham holds them to 20 or less and I would expect a score something along the lines of 41-20 or 38-17 (ballpark guess).  Like I said, if V High is close or they score a bunch of points, Graham should worry about the defense not being where they need to be right now.  But from what I have seen the past 2 contests, the tackling has improved and the linebackers are not over-pursuing as much. I saw very few missed tackles and they were tackling better and wrapping up better. They did over-pursue a bit against Bluefield on a few pitch plays and they got burned, but overall the defense looks to be improving. Minor improvements for Graham, still.  There is still some "reaching" going on when they try to tackle on occasion, also. The athleticism on defense is there, just need some guidance.

2 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

For the VA High fan who asked about the Graham fan who said VA High can't hang with Graham, well, I'm not a Graham guy, but yes, on the second part, this game will get ugly and it will be Exactly as I described, a physical beating.  The original point I made was clear enough in implication, and that is ...One team is far more physical than the other. Save the post and we will revisit this weekend. VA High is going to get pummeled.

Post saved.  I don't care if Graham pummels Va - High or wins by 1 point.  A win is a win.  Sometimes you play well, sometimes you don't.  I just think V-High is too athletic to get beaten as badly as they did last season against Graham.  I think they make a game of it.  Do I think Graham wins?  Yes.  But they will need to use more then 5 plays like they did against Bluefield.  If Graham can come out and run the QB all night like they did against Bluefield, then the score will be similar to the Bluefield score.  I don't think they will be able to do that against V-High.  They will need to open up the playbook a bit more against the Bearcats.  Bluefield to me did not pass the eye test at all.

VHS hasn't played a team that's remotely close to Graham's level of skillset & physicality this season. It's too bad they didn't get that Central game in cause that game would've showed how good they really are. I don't see VHS winning this game. Graham by 2-3 TD's.

I watched some of VH game against Tazewell and some of the game against Spotswood. Keeping Thomas out of the endzone is no easy task. That kid has some wheels. They have enough weapons other than Thomas to prevent a team from focusing solely on him like teams are doing to GC. I could see this being a high scoring game. I suck at predictions so I'll just keep my mouth shut lol.