Battle of the Undefeated: VA High vs Graham

Gridiron60

On 10/10/2021 at 4:16 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Union and Graham are currently the teams to beat and they have the advantage over the others.  Can they be beaten?,  of course.  2 weeks ago, I would have said that Va High would put up 21 - 28 points.  Now?  I'm not so sure, Graham has some new pieces on defense and a couple of young linemen that are starting to understand their role better on the defense.  If Virginia High puts up 21 - 28 this week, if I were Graham's coaches, I would worry about how they are coming along on defense.  I think Graham holds them to 20 or less and I would expect a score something along the lines of 41-20 or 38-17 (ballpark guess).  Like I said, if V High is close or they score a bunch of points, Graham should worry about the defense not being where they need to be right now.  But from what I have seen the past 2 contests, the tackling has improved and the linebackers are not over-pursuing as much. I saw very few missed tackles and they were tackling better and wrapping up better. They did over-pursue a bit against Bluefield on a few pitch plays and they got burned, but overall the defense looks to be improving. Minor improvements for Graham, still.  There is still some "reaching" going on when they try to tackle on occasion, also. The athleticism on defense is there, just need some guidance.

4 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Most VA High Fans have no clue because they have never truly been in a position to be in a big game.  I am a VA High Fan, but I didn't come from there, and I do know what "GOOD" teams look like.  Graham will be the most physical and fast team, the Cats have seen.  VA High has 4 players...Thomas, Delaney, Davidson, and K. Smith - that understand what Graham is and will give all they have.  The team is learning how to win, but I don't think others understand what will happen up front, and even in the skill department.  I do know the new Coach will have them ready to compete compared to last year's coach.  That is why I say the Bearcats can score 21-28 points.  

This is the type of game that V-High needs to play before the playoffs get here.  They can gauge where they stand and how hard they need to work.  They certainly have the talent.

Just now, FoxTrot said:

I agree... that is why I wanted to see us play Wise Central... Would have been a great test of Physicality vs. Speed.  Graham is a combination of both with tradition....Get through Honaker Healthy...See where we are at with Graham!

I am glad to see V-High performing well.  It is good for the entire district and SWVA.

42 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Thomas is a senior right? Once he leaves what do they have coming up??

They lose 3 seniors...Everyone is back outside of that, and there is players that will stip into the RB roll... won't be Thomas, but can run, and be a little more physical....

5 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Why wasn't game finished today maybe not allowed anymore I know Appy played a playoff game on Sunday

I wondered why they didn't play Saturday even Sunday would be better in my opinion when you have the biggest game of the season coming up this week than playing Monday evening. Could they not have just called the game or does it have to be at least a half played? 

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I wondered why they didn't play Saturday even Sunday would be better in my opinion when you have the biggest game of the season coming up this week than playing Monday evening. Could they not have just called the game or does it have to be at least a half played? 

Maybe a half makes it official but it does seem crazy to play Monday and then again Friday.  Maybe they'll move graham game to Saturday if the field is available

25 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Maybe a half makes it official but it does seem crazy to play Monday and then again Friday.  Maybe they'll move graham game to Saturday if the field is available

Bluefield State College is playing at 4 p.m. at Mitchell Stadium.  If it were earlier, maybe.  But a 4 p.m. kickoff pretty much prevents a 1:00 start or a 7:00 start.  How about Bluefield State by the way.  Off to a 3-1 start in their first season in 40 years.  A lot of local athletes on the roster as well.  Bluefield "University" needs to take notes.  Tony Coaxum has put together a decent team in no time flat.

35 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

.A lot of local athletes on the roster as well.  Bluefield "University" needs to take notes.  Tony Coaxum has put together a decent team in no time flat.

That's one of my beefs with Bluefield College (University) is the fact they don't recruit more local talent. Glad to see BS off to an impressive start. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

That's one of my beefs with Bluefield College (University) is the fact they don't recruit more local talent. Glad to see BS off to an impressive start. 

Uva-wise same way hardly any local kids.  Polier from Union and a couple Gate City kids is all I know of probably missing a couple though

2 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

They have Herndon and Jordan from Tazewell.

Does Coach Tarter's son play for UVA-Wise? Somewhere else? I seem to recall he was going retire from coaching after spring season to be able to watch his son at collegiate level. I could also be imagining this. 

19 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Bluefield State College is playing at 4 p.m. at Mitchell Stadium.  If it were earlier, maybe.  But a 4 p.m. kickoff pretty much prevents a 1:00 start or a 7:00 start.  How about Bluefield State by the way.  Off to a 3-1 start in their first season in 40 years.  A lot of local athletes on the roster as well.  Bluefield "University" needs to take notes.  Tony Coaxum has put together a decent team in no time flat.

What college level are they playing at?

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Does Coach Tarter's son play for UVA-Wise? Somewhere else? I seem to recall he was going retire from coaching after spring season to be able to watch his son at collegiate level. I could also be imagining this. 

Yes. One plays at VMI, one plays at Wise. 

3 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Gotcha thought it was central but that sounds right.  He gotta lot of action Saturday

A real quick scan didn't show anyone from Wise, but two GC kids, couple Tazwell kids, a Richlands kid and a Union kid (Polier).  I may have missed someone but that's what I saw on first glance. 

2 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

A real quick scan didn't show anyone from Wise, but two GC kids, couple Tazwell kids, a Richlands kid and a Union kid (Polier).  I may have missed someone but that's what I saw on first glance. 

Sounds right I got a program Saturday.  If they can keep the kids they have from transferring they'll have a good team next couple seasons.  Program has them with only 2 Srs. if it's right that is

31 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Sounds right I got a program Saturday.  If they can keep the kids they have from transferring they'll have a good team next couple seasons.  Program has them with only 2 Srs. if it's right that is

They're def building something positive up there. I hope they continue to improve and really build a winning program, it would only help this area