Union/Central battle for Wise County

TaterHater

7 minutes ago, foosballer said:

What did RV do to shutout Central? Union's defense seemed to be stronger than RV's.

Union's offense also moved the ball extremely well against both RV and Graham. 

How does Central stop Union?

I don't think Central is as strong as last year. I know they have their entre line back, but Crabtree really made that team work. His combination of speed and strong running made them much more dangerous than this year. Also, moving Mullins from QB was a mistake in my opinion.

The Warrior defense is still tough. They allowed fewer RV points than we did. I thought we moved the ball better against Graham than RV. Doesn't show in the stats because of all the penalties. RV's D is legit. We shut their rushing attack down, but they passed all over us, which I fully expected.

The key to Union beating Central will be establishing the run early, and wearing them down. Might have to do this out of the spread or pro set. Warriors didn't give a lot of cushion to the Pack's receivers, so, if they do that to us, may take our short passing game out. They also have enough speed to keep up with our receivers. We'll have to have favorable matchups to accomplish much through the air. I look for Bunch to sneak out a few timely runs. Wouldn't be surprised to see him run more than any other game.

For Central, they will have to stop Lomax. I look for them to key on him like RV did. This could present some opportunities of its own. I think Central will need to use their QB in the run game. Not sure he's ready to come out passing everywhere. They will also need to watch the penalties and miscues.

A foot here or there on pass plays, and a penalty free game could have resulted in a 35-28 type game for RV/Central. A lot of near misses by both squads. I look for Central to come out fired up and looking for revenge. They always play Union tough. Bears have to come out angry and focused.

42 minutes ago, foosballer said:

What did RV do to shutout Central? Union's defense seemed to be stronger than RV's.

Union's offense also moved the ball extremely well against both RV and Graham. 

How does Central stop Union?

Stop Lomax... he's a beast on offense & defense. 

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

A foot here or there on pass plays, and a penalty free game could have resulted in a 35-28 type game for RV/Central. 

RV/C was a very tight game. RV missed some passes that would have been big plays, C was in the red zone 3 or 4 times and couldn't get in the endzone

17 minutes ago, redtiger said:

RV/C was a very tight game. RV missed some passes that would have been big plays, C was in the red zone 3 or 4 times and couldn't get in the endzone

Yep, and that's why I expect another tight, hard-fought game Friday night. Had a few things gone their way, they could easily be undefeated right now.

This will probably upset Union fans but Central has the best LB core in the M7 (Caveat-  haven’t seen Abingdon…but they are 3A anyway).  Both games were similar…RV had problems in the first half but began to move it easier in the second half.  Of course, Central runs their 3.5 yards and a cloud of rubber dust offense that will try to possess the ball.  I wasn’t impressed with Central’s passing offense at all.  Once they got down two scores late, RV’s pass rush got home almost every play.  Union’s pass offense is better than Central’s; however, Mullins can even the score as a WR for Central.  Two things determine this one- 1) turnovers/penalties 2) OL DL matchup on both sides.  I’d think we would see lots of 5-9 minute possessions and a 21-14 type score.  This should be a LB’s dream matchup.

Union may lose this game in years past. But what is different this year is the QB.  Union now has a QB and Unions ability to go 3 and sometimes 4 wide on offense and complete a 15 yd pass with their QB is a real threat and this is what makes them different from years past. Additionally, Union can effectively run the ball out of the wide sets because in most one on one situations with the linebacker (which often occurs when running out of a wide set) Lomax will make him miss or break the tackle. 

But, the Tester kid is special just like his father was. He's one of the better defensive players in SWVA. Of all the linebackers that could go toe to toe with Lomax one on one in open field and consistently make the tackle, the Tester kid has probably the best chance of any linebacker in this end of the state.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

This will probably upset Union fans but Central has the best LB core in the M7 (Caveat-  haven’t seen Abingdon…but they are 3A anyway).  Both games were similar…RV had problems in the first half but began to move it easier in the second half.  Of course, Central runs their 3.5 yards and a cloud of rubber dust offense that will try to possess the ball.  I wasn’t impressed with Central’s passing offense at all.  Once they got down two scores late, RV’s pass rush got home almost every play.  Union’s pass offense is better than Central’s; however, Mullins can even the score as a WR for Central.  Two things determine this one- 1) turnovers/penalties 2) OL DL matchup on both sides.  I’d think we would see lots of 5-9 minute possessions and a 21-14 type score.  This should be a LB’s dream matchup.

Not upset it's your opinion just curious why you think centrals LB are better than Unions just because Ridgeview didn't have much success against them.  Not arguing with you just wondering because I've not watched Central this season

3 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Not upset it's your opinion just curious why you think centrals LB are better than Unions just because Ridgeview didn't have much success against them.  Not arguing with you just wondering because I've not watched Central this season

Having watched both.  Centrals linebackers is its sweet spot on defense.  They are all fast, incredible lateral movement for High School linebackers and very tough.  Meaning, they very easily take on the block from the fullback and can not get taken out of the play trying to tackle the trailing running back.  They lose no ground with the opponents lead blocker and very quickly disengage from the lead block and get two hands on the running back.  They also cover in space very well with the opponents ends and backs on pass routes.  They did a marvelous job against Christiansburg.  Lastly, perfect technique (which is coaching).  They always seem to be in the right positions.  I agree with the one poster on Central's linebackers.  Best linebacking group of actually ANY team I've seen play this year.  I've seen C-Curg, Union, Graham, Bluefield, Appo, Union, Ridgeview, Radford, Giles, Galax, and even Riverheads.  They have 3 linebackers at Central that are very, very good.  Now, it's not the best defense I've seen.  Not the best team I've seen.  But, when dialing in specifically to the iinebacker group, it's the best unit I've seen. 

5 hours ago, goose111874 said:

VT Davis nailed it.  I can’t add much else to his summary.  IMHO Tester is just as good as Lomax and Central’s Boggs and the other Central kid (can’t remember his name) is excellent as well.  It felt like it was more difficult to run vs Central than Union….I’d have to check the stats.  Now, to be fair, RV’s O’Quinn was playing only his second career game against Central.  That could account for some of it.  A quick rewatch of both games shows more room and missed opportunities against the Bears than Central.  Again…to be fair, Central was the first bracket they had seen on Beavers so they almost deserted throwing the ball his way.  Against Union’s bracket/quarters, they adjusted and got him the ball more, which draws out some of that LB aggression.

There are just a few hours until kickoff and there is little smack talking from either side, could it be that both teams know that this will be a very tight game? All three phases of the game will need to be near perfect to win this one , so one break or turnover may decide this one.

19 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

This was the most unprepared and just weak performance I’ve seen in Union history. Even when Appomattox was running through them it wasn’t this. Not at all. Union needs to take a look in the mirror. 

Fire the short guy Tonight!!!!good grief Stevie Wonder could have called a better defensive game

On 10/11/2021 at 8:28 PM, vtdavis4321 said:

Having watched both.  Centrals linebackers is its sweet spot on defense.  They are all fast, incredible lateral movement for High School linebackers and very tough.  Meaning, they very easily take on the block from the fullback and can not get taken out of the play trying to tackle the trailing running back.  They lose no ground with the opponents lead blocker and very quickly disengage from the lead block and get two hands on the running back.  They also cover in space very well with the opponents ends and backs on pass routes.  They did a marvelous job against Christiansburg.  Lastly, perfect technique (which is coaching).  They always seem to be in the right positions.  I agree with the one poster on Central's linebackers.  Best linebacking group of actually ANY team I've seen play this year.  I've seen C-Curg, Union, Graham, Bluefield, Appo, Union, Ridgeview, Radford, Giles, Galax, and even Riverheads.  They have 3 linebackers at Central that are very, very good.  Now, it's not the best defense I've seen.  Not the best team I've seen.  But, when dialing in specifically to the iinebacker group, it's the best unit I've seen. 

We tried to warn them.  Now they know.  There was a lot of cockiness coming out of that RV game and Central was lazer focused on Union the whole time.  All RV fans thought Central was the tougher defense of the two.  It never occurred that maybe RV didn’t play well at BSG. Central’s D is tough and athletic and that offense is designed to get 4-5 yards every snap and just burn the clock.  

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

This was the most unprepared and just weak performance I’ve seen in Union history. Even when Appomattox was running through them it wasn’t this. Not at all. Union needs to take a look in the mirror. 

After the Central field goal and the fumble on second down, I got concerned. 

Union collapsed from there. 

8 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

We tried to warn them.  Now they know.  There was a lot of cockiness coming out of that RV game and Central was lazer focused on Union the whole time.  All RV fans thought Central was the tougher defense of the two.  It never occurred that maybe RV didn’t play well at BSG. Central’s D is tough and athletic and that offense is designed to get 4-5 yards every snap and just burn the clock.  

It doesn't help when Union turns the ball over four times, twice unforced. They drove right down the field to take a 7-0 lead,.got a stop, then fumbled the next snap. And after a other Wise punt, Jenkins muffed a punt. Bears simply weren't ready to play and Central smacked them around.  All credit to Wise.