Week 8 Updates

SWVAgridiron

12 minutes ago, MayorBill said:

Grundy beat Blacksburg, didn’t they…

Am I missing something here? Blacksburg and Pulaski County are not the same school. Graham actually will have their hands full with Pulaski County which is opposite of Blacksburg this year. Pulaski is good enough to pull a W over Graham if Graham reverts to penalties and turnovers, etc. They can keep it close enough to make Graham pay, but if Graham is the 2018 Graham (which is the Graham of the last 2 weeks) then Graham wins by 17-21 points.

11 minutes ago, Topper22 said:

Yes our AD is a giant tool. Small in stature and big large idiocy. I apologize on our behalf, if the game hadn't been close they wouldn't have said anything. 

On another note explain what happened in the game as I went to Galax /GW game. As I figured it would be a blow out here in Independence by Giles. Very surprised. 

Giles just seemed very flat. 2 or 3 turnovers in the first half and one of our starting defenders who got the pick 6 didn’t play after half and Grayson was smart and took advantage of the backup freshman or sophomore that filled in. 

We came out after half and played like a different team. Blocked a punt scored on the following play and recovered an onsides kick and scored again on a pass play. But the momentum shifted back to Grayson late in the 3rd as they started picking on the back up cornerback. Giles was leading 21-14 with 9 mins left in the game and held onto the ball until 2:32 remaining. We went for it on a 4 and 3 at the 50 and Grayson stopped us. They threw a long pass down to the 10 with 20 some seconds remaining. They ran there last play with .2 seconds left and and threw a pass to the end zone and out cornerback jumped too early and Grayson scored. They decided to go for the win and not OT and threw an incomplete pass. Hats off to there defense. They played the single wing very disciplined.

28 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

So, 12 of the 28 were freshman or sophomores when Dixon was there! Most of them start now! So they have residual from that! So Allen was running Dixon’s playbook all night! Call it plagiarism for lack of a better term but if it’s not broke don’t fix it! Dixons presence still there! Everyone knows the weakness in the GW defense and it’s right up the middle 1-2 holes! GW needs a nose guard in the worst way but they have no other defense they can run!  Coaches run that stupid 4-4 and middle is open! D line gets no penetration by design! Suppose to tie up o lineman! Funny never see that in college or pros! All I see there is d line penetrating making tackles in the back field. Couldn’t let 1 get a running start and pound but that’s exactly what happened! it’s Katy bar the door with good running teams! Congrats on the win! Next couple years will tell what u have in Allen. 

Being on the outside looking in at both programs during the game tonight. I don't see what GW could have done much differently on offense. Galax just shut them down be in the running game, runs to the outside was chased down all night and everything up the middle was stuffed  constantly. The most successful play was the QB read where he lept the ball and ran around he end a couple times and that's because the DE bit on the dive. The passing game was a bit better, your QB was rusty rightfully so but Glaax had good coverage most of the night. 

On defense you had guys in position many many times but just got ran over or juked out. Galax had receivers running open all night the QB just missed them or was dropped. It was a scheme it was an out athlete in that regard. 

And as far as seeing heat Galax has In a few  years you are probably going to be severely disappointed as their Jv is stacked. Is there a dripnoff from Dixon to Allen? Absolutely, as there would be with 90% of anybody that followed him. Although the drop off will not be as step as many would hope. Galax just has talent that reloads every year. 

I hate to say it but we are all going to have to go through Galax for the foreseeable future to win the region. 

4 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Giles just seemed very flat. 2 or 3 turnovers in the first half and one of our starting defenders who got the pick 6 didn’t play after half and Grayson was smart and took advantage of the backup freshman or sophomore that filled in. 

We came out after half and played like a different team. Blocked a punt scored on the following play and recovered an onsides kick and scored again on a pass play. But the momentum shifted back to Grayson late in the 3rd as they started picking on the back up cornerback. Giles was leading 21-14 with 9 mins left in the game and held onto the ball until 2:32 remaining. We went for it on a 4 and 3 at the 50 and Grayson stopped us. They threw a long pass down to the 10 with 20 some seconds remaining. They ran there last play with .2 seconds left and and threw a pass to the end zone and out cornerback jumped too early and Grayson scored. They decided to go for the win and not OT and threw an incomplete pass. Hats off to there defense. They played the single wing very disciplined.

Thanks Sir, sounds like a fun game to have attended. Wish I would of went instead of GW /Game. 

I think the Union fans need to calm down a bit. Your season isn't over by any means. You lost to a team that has a legit shot at winning region. You still for the most part control your own destiny. Plus its pretty obvious that there is no clear cut favorite to win the region (maybe Graham).  The playoffs around here in 2d should be really good. Especially the semi and championship round,. 

Then we will sacrafice that team to Appomattox for Peace on Earth!

2 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Appo is the favorite but Glenvar is playing damn good right now. Might be there best team since 2015. Could be a hell of a Region C championship.

I was going by hearing that Appo dropped 71 on Nelson County tonight, and come playoff time they just seem to get rolling. 
Hopefully I'm wrong. I'd like to see 2A and 1A be competitive for state titles.

27 minutes ago, Topper22 said:

Yes our AD is a giant tool. Small in stature and big large idiocy. I apologize on our behalf, if the game hadn't been close they wouldn't have said anything. 

On another note explain what happened in the game as I went to Galax /GW game. As I figured it would be a blow out here in Independence by Giles. Very surprised. 

If the AD is the same guy who has been there for the past few years, I agree whole heartedly with this. A complete  moron with a Napolean complex. And that is being nice. 

19 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Appo is the favorite but Glenvar is playing damn good right now. Might be there best team since 2015. Could be a hell of a Region C championship.

This! Agree on Glenvar. For us wingers, yes we are vastly improved and sure, we turned over and played flat, but still......we have a strength issue defensively and offensively.  This winter, Coach Williams I hopes bans them from touching a pigskin and emphasizes the importance of weight training. Our kids are often in position and have the leverage and technique offensively to push guys off the ball, but often ......even when we get off the ball quicker on the OL and beat the D. Line off the snap, we just don't get a ton of push. The opposite when we are on D, even when our D Line wins coming off of the snap count, our opponents OL often quickly retakes the momentum and doesn't lose ground. The technique is there. The coaching is there. We just have to get in the freaking gym and lift. 

33 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

It was a great game and I was impressed with the crowd that Grayson brought out. Almost completely filled the stands 

Yeah their crowd was impressive...first half we looked like we didn't wanna be there...but 2nd half we played well minus a couple pass plays...they were in good position but just didn't make the plays...they are young ones and will learn...saw coaches pulling them to the side and showing them what they did wrong....Grayson defense was damn impressive especially #8...kid is a player

Thought the refs gave them a chance at the end but we held on...and after last 2 seasons I'll take a win anywhere

9 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

This! Agree on Glenvar. For us wingers, yes we are vastly improved and sure, we turned over and played flat, but still......we have a strength issue defensively and offensively.  This winter, Coach Williams I hopes bans them from touching a pigskin and emphasizes the importance of weight training. Our kids are often in position and have the leverage and technique offensively to push guys off the ball, but often ......even when we get off the ball quicker on the OL and beat the D. Line off the snap, we just don't get a ton of push. The opposite when we are on D, even when our D Line wins coming off of the snap count, our opponents OL often quickly retakes the momentum and doesn't lose ground. The technique is there. The coaching is there. We just have to get in the freaking gym and lift. 

Our weight training has really dropped off over the years. It use to be mandatory to come to the summer trainings or you wasn’t gonna play. That’s definitely not how it works anymore.

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yeah their crowd was impressive...first half we looked like we didn't wanna be there...but 2nd half we played well minus a couple pass plays...they were in good position but just didn't make the plays...they are young ones and will learn...saw coaches pulling them to the side and showing them what they did wrong....Grayson defense was damn impressive especially #8...kid is a player

Thought the refs gave them a chance at the end but we held on...and after last 2 seasons I'll take a win anywhere

I was very impressed with there defense. They read their keys and kept us from having any runs longer than 6-8 yards. I definitely underestimated Grayson 

3 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Our weight training has really dropped off over the years. It use to be mandatory to come to the summer trainings or you wasn’t gonna play. That’s definitely not how it works anymore.

Oh, I know. Trust me, I know. I've raised a little bit of he** two times. God forbid one of the parents get pissed. XBox, Twitter, and Instagram is critical nowadays.  More important are those Northern VA soccer camps. Can't miss those.

1 minute ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Oh, I know. Trust me, I know. I've raised a little bit of he** two times. God forbid one of the parents get pissed. XBox, Twitter, and Instagram is critical nowadays.  

In the coming years we could potentially have the biggest o-line since 2013-2015. But being big isn’t gonna get you anywhere if you don’t have the strength and power to go with it. Them kids gotta hit the weights 

1 minute ago, SWVAgridiron said:

In the coming years we could potentially have the biggest o-line since 2013-2015. But being big isn’t gonna get you anywhere if you don’t have the strength and power to go with it. Them kids gotta hit the weights 

The thing that pisses me off is our rock head. Our rock head leads like a rock head in nearly every facet and this is why so many get pi$$ed off. I'm not talking about Coach Williams either.  You know who I'm talking about. But, when we need our rock head to be the rock head which is pushing weight training, he is no longer the rock head. Drives me freaking nuts.

9 hours ago, sixcat said:

I honestly don’t mean this to be offensive to the George Wythe faithful. Y’all have been saying for two years, Allen can’t coach. Riding high on Dixon’s former players. I believe 12 of the 38 players on the current roster actually played for Dixon. 

At some point, reality has to set in. 

None taken I think he can coach for sure you don't compete with the teams they do and not have good coaching. I just feel once all of the Dixon bunch is gone they fall off a bit.

8 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I was going by hearing that Appo dropped 71 on Nelson County tonight, and come playoff time they just seem to get rolling. 
Hopefully I'm wrong. I'd like to see 2A and 1A be competitive for state titles.

Nelson County is disastrously bad, so little can be gleamed from that.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Nelson County is disastrously bad, so little can be gleamed from that.

I fully agree with you about Nelson. Will say this tho. Appo played alot of the bench and kept clean uniforms in the game for 2nd half and stil managed to score and keep Nelson scoreless. Appo is starting to click better and in the next few weeks with no injuries or covid issues i fully expect to see a team more than ready for playoffs. Hate to bad mouth Nelson, i have to give them a ton of respect as they never quit and played with heart and left their all on the field, great bunch of young men.