Week 8 Updates

SWVAgridiron

12 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Lots of football left, but looking more like Gate City will be the 4 from the M.7 and Graham will be the 1 from the S.West.  It looks like Gate City will travel to Graham in game one of the playoffs and the last time they met would be roughly 84 months ago, in 2014, when Gate City gave Graham its worst loss in the history of Graham High School Football by a score of 70-0.  Man, how things have changed in 7 years.  

This game will Not be anything close to 70-0 or a 70 point margin of victory for Graham, and I don't mean this with and disrespect to Gate City, but for the 2021 season, Graham may have the ability to make it 70-0 if they won't to.  

Do they cross bracket for the playoffs???  I thought top 8 by points then 1 v. 8, 2 v. 7, 3 v. 6, and 4 v. 5.  I thought cross bracket was for basketball.  Am I wrong?  If so, when did it change?

6 minutes ago, GMan said:

Do they cross bracket for the playoffs???  I thought top 8 by points then 1 v. 8, 2 v. 7, 3 v. 6, and 4 v. 5.  I thought cross bracket was for basketball.  Am I wrong?  If so, when did it change?

A special format for this season, given the irregular number of games played due to COVID-19.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

A special format for this season, given the irregular number of games played due to COVID-19.

I'm not doubting this, but can they make this more public. There are a few radio stations still talking top 8 get in. 

15 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Graham may have the ability to make it 70-0 if they won't to.  

Graham could have hung more on VA High and several other teams this season if Tony Palmer wanted to run the score up but he’s classy. He doesn’t run the score up intentionally. Who knows if GC or Lee claims that spot at this point. Either way, I think M7 #1 and SWD #1 should get past first round fairly easily. 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think M7 #1 and SWD #1 should get past first round fairly easily. 

After that it gets real interesting imo. Graham is the regional favorite and for good reason but imo the next 3 teams are (in no order) Ridgeview, Central, and Union.  All 4 of those are really close. Playoffs should be a lot of fun, hopefully we get some Friday and Saturday games.

1 minute ago, redtiger said:

After that it gets real interesting imo. Graham is the regional favorite and for good reason but imo the next 3 teams are (in no order) Ridgeview, Central, and Union.  All 4 of those are really close. Playoffs should be a lot of fun, hopefully we get some Friday and Saturday games.

After round 1 , game on! It’s anybody’s left for the taking at that point. Every team Including Graham will need to be on their A game to come out on top. I’m anxious to see how the M7 shakes out as far as who’s the #1 seed. 

Agree with you Gridiron, but even round one could be interesting. This year, there are 5 legit teams in the region with the Big 3 from the M7, but now add VA High to the mix, so round one could be interesting for the M7 team that gets VA High.  I still don't think you can ever count out Richlands either, and a team like Tazewell with their passing attack may give a team like Central or Union a closer game than we think.

5 hours ago, GMan said:

I spoke to a UNION guy today, he said that it was cross bracket  and it would be 1 mnt vs 4 swd ,2mnt vs 3swd, 1swd vs 4 mnt,2swd vs 3mnt with the higher seat getting a home game.If 2 teams are tied say 1st(UNION,RIDGEVIEW)the power points would decide who recieved the number 1 seed.Second round would be highest winner vs lowest winner.

The way it was explained to me was that each district would go 1,2,3,4 and not 1-8 with both districts being lumped TOGATHER for rankings 

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham could have hung more on VA High and several other teams this season if Tony Palmer wanted to run the score up but he’s classy. He doesn’t run the score up intentionally. Who knows if GC or Lee claims that spot at this point. Either way, I think M7 #1 and SWD #1 should get past first round fairly easily. 

Graham scored 56 against V-High in 2 quarters of play.  I am impressed with how the rb, Clements is coming along.  He follows his blocking very well.  Very good ball player, plays smart.  Graham will be able to run the ball on just about anybody they play.  Hughes and the Braden Meadows are doing a great job of coming in as a lead blocker for the qb and Clements.

32 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I spoke to a UNION guy today, he said that it was cross bracket  and it would be 1 mnt vs 4 swd ,2mnt vs 3swd, 1swd vs 4 mnt,2swd vs 3mnt with the higher seat getting a home game.If 2 teams are tied say 1st(UNION,RIDGEVIEW)the power points would decide who recieved the number 1 seed.Second round would be highest winner vs lowest winner.

The way it was explained to me was that each district would go 1,2,3,4 and not 1-8 with both districts being lumped TOGATHER for rankings 

Hearing the same.

6 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham scored 56 against V-High in 2 quarters of play.  I am impressed with how the rb, Clements is coming along.  He follows his blocking very well.  Very good ball player, plays smart.  Graham will be able to run the ball on just about anybody they play.  Hughes and the Braden Meadows are doing a great job of coming in as a lead blocker for the qb and Clements.

Clements kid is growing into a special kind of player. He’s definitely ball smart. We’ve got a lot of guys who have stepped up their game on offense and defensive blocking. Some of the younger ones are improving weekly and figuring out their roles. A team can double or triple team Bradshaw but Coach Palmer has multiple other options to look to if that happens. 

21 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

After round 1 , game on! It’s anybody’s left for the taking at that point. Every team Including Graham will need to be on their A game to come out on top. I’m anxious to see how the M7 shakes out as far as who’s the #1 seed. 

The RV/Abingdon and U/Abingdon games should be great.   Those will be the determining factor for th M7 1/2. If both lose to the Falcons then U is #1, if U loses it gets real interesting. Great football over the next few weeks.

I figure VA gets the SW 2 seed and Central gets the M7 3, so they'll play in round one and that should be a good one. Richlands pulls the SW3 and gets a rematch with either U or RV. Tazewell makes the trip West which will be interesting because of how efficient they are in the pass game/How dynamic Harris is. GC gets the round 1 trip to Bluefield, a rematch of old Region IV foes, and a meeting of two of the most explosive players in SWVA.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Clements kid is growing into a special kind of player. He’s definitely ball smart. We’ve got a lot of guys who have stepped up their game on offense and defensive blocking. Some of the younger ones are improving weekly and figuring out their roles. A team can double or triple team Bradshaw but Coach Palmer has multiple other options to look to if that happens. 

That's what makes Graham so dangerous.  They beat Galax and Bluefield, basically without Bradshaw.  Bluefield and Galax doubled him all night, so Graham just used their other guys.  2 guys guarding Bradshaw opens up some running room and some good 1 on 1 matchups for Graham's other talented receivers.  V-High decided to play Bradshaw 1 on 1 (with Thomas) and we see how that ended up.

I agree with ya'll on Graham's improvement.  What makes Graham better (in my opinion) than the 2019 team that lost at Appo is Graham's ability to run the ball in between the tackles with the running back and not the QB.  Much of Graham's running game in 2019 and early this year, even during the Union game, was kind of gimmicky in one sense.  Not saying it wasn't effective, but lots of running with the QB scrambling and nobody open, then he takes off.  That certainly counts, but there will be those games in the playoffs where you absolutely have to be able to run the ball between the tackles with your running back.  The development of the sophomore Clements kid is kind of alarming.   He's not just capable.  He's dangerous from anywhere on the field and has explosive speed.  When you get a team like Graham that is equally balanced in both the passing and running attack (with the running back), then it makes Graham difficult for any Region D team.  It's also the development of the interior offensive line which like Clements, has really matured rather quickly. 

On 10/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, jarhead24219 said:

Union lost all around, Central played like everyone expected, 4 turnovers and the line play for Central won this game. Rhoads please come back , please please. Our linebacker were were getting caught up with the line being driven back , bad night , poor gameplay on D , but Central was by far the better team

Eastside sure has become a powerhouse in the Cumberland.

Well, at least one talented team is going home in the 1st round:  Graham, Union, RV, Central and Va High can’t all make it to the 2nd round.  The talent level at the skill positions for the playoffs will be amazing….best in years: Bradshaw, Webb, Thomas (and others from Va High) Jenkins, Lomax, Ethan Mullins, Beavers, Hill (RV) Harris (Tazewell)….just the WRs alone.  Has there been a more talented WR group in your memory? 

33 minutes ago, redtiger said:

No

The All Region D team should be interesting: Bradshaw, Webb, Mullins, Beavers, Harris. A strong group for sure!

Only 4 spots, I think.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they do APB or something like that for Mullins, Bradshaw or Webb. Someone very talented may get left off.  Thinking they will keep Jenkins solely as RB.  I’d predict: Bradshaw, Webb, Beavers and Harris.  Mullins may be categorized as APB.