Week 8 Updates

SWVAgridiron

4 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

On any normal year this year’s probable 2nd team All Region would be a strong representation of WR talent.  This year is insane.  The Counts kid from RV is good as well.

2nd team all Region this year, in a normal year he's a 1st teamer for sure.

2 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:
Insane turn of events in Glenvar/James River game. Glenvar WR called for unsportsmanlike conduct after waving at defender on TD. Score wiped off, Highlanders throw INT, Knights score off the pick. Glenvar leads 24-21, start of 4

Did not expect it to be that close 😳

4 hours ago, redtiger said:

2nd team all Region this year, in a normal year he's a 1st teamer for sure.

A lot of seniors in that group.  RV has Beavers and Counts back, Tazewell gets Harris back and Graham gets their other receiver back.  Richlands has the Simmons kid.  Not too sure after that.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

A lot of seniors in that group.  RV has Beavers and Counts back, Tazewell gets Harris back and Graham gets their other receiver back.  Richlands has the Simmons kid.  Not too sure after that.  

Union loses quite a bit. Lomax, Bunch and M. Jenkins plus some OL. Satterfield returns

13 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Union loses quite a bit. Lomax, Bunch and M. Jenkins plus some OL. Satterfield returns

Was looking at Central.  Ouch!  Lose all of those outstanding LBs, most of their OL and DL and all RBs and Mullins!

13 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Next year may be a relatively down year for Union but their 8th grade and JV programs are absolutely loaded. Major major talent coming. I would not be shocked to see 2-4 freshman starting and/or getting significant time next season 

40 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Was looking at Central.  Ouch!  Lose all of those outstanding LBs, most of their OL and DL and all RBs and Mullins!

Yeah they all got their draft cards, only school (well noy only) where the SR.class can vote,but needs a note from mom and dad to leave school early........ooooh to be 19 again,oh crap no, I was in BEIRUT getting shot at.

Ridgeview will likely be the favs to win the region next year. VA High is going to be fantastic. Graham is still Graham. They reload and will once again, be a threat to win the region. I look for Tazewell to take a huge step forward. It's very possible that Graham may finish 3rd in the SWD next year. I certainly would NOT take that bet though. 

In Region C, Appo loses some and I don't know about Glenvar. Radford returns most of their team. 

In Class 1, Reg. C, Giles is going to be really really good. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Yes it’s this year or bust for Central. Not saying they won’t have some teams coming up, but this group is ready to win now! I wouldn’t be shocked to see them get hot and take the region.

39 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

RIDGEVEIW will be loaded and may have a shot at state next year.....if not this year

I like this RV team to makes run next year, but I’d like to see some more depth. You just can’t have a lot of players going both ways and expect to win a state title. I could be wrong on that, but I see that as a problem for a lot of teams around here.

2 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Ridgeview will likely be the favs to win the region next year. VA High is going to be fantastic. Graham is still Graham. They reload and will once again, be a threat to win the region. I look for Tazewell to take a huge step forward. It's very possible that Graham may finish 3rd in the SWD next year. I certainly would NOT take that bet though. 

In Region C, Appo loses some and I don't know about Glenvar. Radford returns most of their team. 

In Class 1, Reg. C, Giles is going to be really really good. 

Why you think Giles is gonna be so good next year? Just curious

Who will tailback be?

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

I like this RV team to makes run next year, but I’d like to see some more depth. You just can’t have a lot of players going both ways and expect to win a state title. I could be wrong on that, but I see that as a problem for a lot of teams around here.

Gonna be hard to replace their loses on the DL (Deel and Gibson kids are outstanding).  Other than that…dang near everyone else returns.  Their  offense should be fantastic.  I do agree that they appear to have depth issues.

52 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Why you think Giles is gonna be so good next year? Just curious

Who will tailback be?

Sh*, at any given time, we got 6 sophomores playing on both sides of the ball this year and sometimes, 7. Khalik is more than capable. We are going to be better for sure. Again, I told you this a while back, the weight room is where the most improvement can come. Sophomores are usually not fully physically mature yet. They usually have much more physical growth from the start of their sophomore years and on through summer by the time they are juniors. 

I said this at the beginning of the year.  We will play for the region title and lose to Galax closer than game one was. I think us and Galax have a nailbiter to decide the region title next year.

P.S. I've heard we are likely getting a lineman from Pulaski who is very very good. That will help up front. 

1 hour ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Sh*, at any given time, we got 6 sophomores playing on both sides of the ball this year and sometimes, 7. Khalik is more than capable. We are going to be better for sure. Again, I told you this a while back, the weight room is where the most improvement can come. Sophomores are usually not fully physically mature yet. They usually have much more physical growth from the start of their sophomore years and on through summer by the time they are juniors. 

I said this at the beginning of the year.  We will play for the region title and lose to Galax closer than game one was. I think us and Galax have a nailbiter to decide the region title next year.

P.S. I've heard we are likely getting a lineman from Pulaski who is very very good. That will help up front. 

Sorry but Khalik can't play tailback...yes the line is where games are won but we have to have a tailback to be super successful and I don't see one next year...now the 8th grade class has one for sure

I've heard rumors of a transfer...didn't know position or where they were from though

Union gets its entire offensive line back next year. They have jrs. And a sophomore now. Plus adding two 8th graders that are monsters right now . 1 is 6'2 310 and the other aint 2 far behind. Look for Johnny tsunami Satterfield to run alot next year along with Honeycutt and possibly Chandler who will be a fr. Qb will be either a Jr in R.Anderson or a 10th grader Sykes. 

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Sorry but Khalik can't play tailback...yes the line is where games are won but we have to have a tailback to be super successful and I don't see one next year...now the 8th grade class has one for sure

I've heard rumors of a transfer...didn't know position or where they were from though

Well, Khalik is going to be playing tailback. What other choice do we have? I know he's small, but again, give the kid a year in the weight room and let's see what happens.  Got one from PC coming in on the line and possibly.......possibly one from Radford that can fill in at running back.  That one is far from a definite. The kid from PC is pretty much a done deal.