Chilhowie and Holston

Topper22

Chilhowie  and Holston have quietly put together a undefeated 6-0 and 7-0 season thus far. Chilhowie's remaining games are VA high, PH and Holston. That's a tough group of games it seems.

Holston remaining games are a  much easier slate. I have not paid much attention to 1D this year but for those in the know can you shed some thoughts. 

Who is the better team and how does either stack up against the teams from region C? 

holston has speed if they get to edge an turn up there hard to tackle line play on both sides of ball is pretty good blevins is a monster for middle backer but defense is holstons strong point very physical maybe one of the most physical teams holston has ever had defense is fast also they get to the ball quick.

I believe Twin Springs can compete with anyone right now.  A great combination of speed and a line that can block. D1 will be interesting this year. They played Holston earlier in the year but from what I hear that game was after a covid layoff.

Holston is VERY deceptively talented. A team that been through a lot of embarrassment over the last few years learned "how to win" last year. Bearing that in mind, Chilhowie has quite possibly the best 1A coaching staff in the state. It would be hard to pick against the Warriors, at this point.

Best coaching staff that is very debatable. Just on this thread you would have to say that Akers and his staff would be a top staff. Just looking at tradition and size of school Holston is very impressive. Patterson left his mark and looks to be doing the same at Va High.

38 minutes ago, swvafbrespect said:

Just on this thread you would have to say that Akers and his staff would be a top staff.

There are some folks in Wythe and Scott County who would dispute that. However, I would imagine that Patterson left behind some talented assistants, so you may be on to something.

As far as Chilhowie's coaching, nothing against Robinson who's been very successful coaching two different sports, when you consider that John Sabo and Matt Snodgrass are assistants in Chilhowie, the head coach may not even be the best coach on the staff.

Not to disrespect Chilhowie, Coach Robinson has proven himself to be a winner in both sports. They do have traditionally stronger group of athletes than other schools in SW VA. I think there has been other coaches that has done alot with less.

No disrespect but saying Chilhowie having the best 1A coaching staff in this side of the state would be highly debatable much less saying they are better than Casto and staff at Riverheads! 

1 minute ago, Topper22 said:

No disrespect but saying Chilhowie having the best 1A coaching staff in this side of the state would be highly debatable much less saying they are better than Casto and staff at Riverheads! 

None taken. Chilhowie has consistently proven to me their ability to adjust in game and keep their players motivated. I have never seen a team be dead to rights at halftime and come back to win the game in the second half as often as Chilhowie has in the last few years. If you look at the sheer number of assistants Chilhowie has, and the amount of high level success that those assistants have had in other sports, I believe they have the deepest coaching staff in 1A, including Riverheads. If we're comparing Robinson to Casto (or several other 1A head ball coaches, for that matter) he can't hold a candle, but I believe his shortcomings are made up for by having the best assistant staff that I'm aware of.