thursday games

generallyspeaking

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I keep tellin’ y’all that 1D is very, very down.  Lest we forget this is the same Chilhowie that Tazewell beat comfortably in the benefit game.

For the record, and you can revisit the game thread for that week as evidence, Chilhowie was going toe to toe with Tazewell until the teams pulled the starters, and if I'm not mistaken, Chilhowie had the lead at that point.

3 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

For the record, and you can revisit the game thread for that week as evidence, Chilhowie was going toe to toe with Tazewell until the teams pulled the starters, and if I'm not mistaken, Chilhowie had the lead at that point.

Chilhowie jumped out to a 13-0 lead because Tazewell hadn’t had a chance to work any kinks out due to a COVID-19 issue cancelling the Ridgeview scrimmages.  Once they did, Tazewell ripped off a 40-13 run for a comfortable win.

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Chilhowie jumped out to a 13-0 lead because Tazewell hadn’t had a chance to work any kinks out due to a COVID-19 issue cancelling the Ridgeview scrimmages.  Once they did, Tazewell ripped off a 40-13 run for a comfortable win.

Sure, and the quarantine aspect should be noted, but it doesn't change the fact that it was 16-12 in Chilhowie's favor at the half, and there no starters on the field when Tazewell pulled away in the 2nd half.

Sure, I credit Holston's Coaching Staff, but I'm beginning to wonder what kind of talent they might have down there.  Can't put my finger on it, but something tells me they seem to be a little more supplied in the "very good football player" department compared to most of their Class 1D peers.  They lost one of the best QB's in SWVA last year and had a coaching change, and the guy they lost we now understand is the real deal and he can flat out coach, and no disrespect to Akers and his staff, but when you lose a QB like that and a Coach like that at a Class 1 school, your not supposed to be undefeated or 7-0, or 8-0.   I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't closer to Galax than Giles.  I thought for sure Giles was the second best team in the Class 1 West.  I'm not so sure Holston isn't better than us, and the second best team in the West, and possibly, may give Galax a battle.  Still, there is no question that 1D is way down, so hard to tell.  One thing I'm fairly certain of.......Holston has some talent down there.

1 hour ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Sure, I credit Holston's Coaching Staff, but I'm beginning to wonder what kind of talent they might have down there.  Can't put my finger on it, but something tells me they seem to be a little more supplied in the "very good football player" department compared to most of their Class 1D peers.  They lost one of the best QB's in SWVA last year and had a coaching change, and the guy they lost we now understand is the real deal and he can flat out coach, and no disrespect to Akers and his staff, but when you lose a QB like that and a Coach like that at a Class 1 school, your not supposed to be undefeated or 7-0, or 8-0.   I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't closer to Galax than Giles.  I thought for sure Giles was the second best team in the Class 1 West.  I'm not so sure Holston isn't better than us, and the second best team in the West, and possibly, may give Galax a battle.  Still, there is no question that 1D is way down, so hard to tell.  One thing I'm fairly certain of.......Holston has some talent down there.

I don't know if they are better than Giles. They was In a very tight game with a depleted  Narrows until third quarter. 

I was impressed with Holston last year, they were better than I expected them to be and if they are as good or better than last year they will give teams from the west a fit this year. A team that definitely can't be overlooked.

Let me get this straight....I am just trying to figure out what all was meant by the earlier post.

14 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

1.  VHS is now a juggernaut?  Patterson did weather a miserable start at Holston and had some success.  Congrats to him and VHS.  I will say that took a lot of perseverance on his part.    I will also say this, they do have some DUDES on that team; however, they did give up 93 points in two games. I am just saying that they have a very favorable schedule.  I am not sure they are the second best team in Region 2D or the fifth best team in 2D.  You shouldn't count out Union, Ridgeview, and Wise Central.  Graham is different.  I guess anyone is beatable on any given night. 

2.  What does no disrespect to Akers mean?  That makes absolutely no sense at all with what you said.  They lost the region D player of the year and the WCYB player of the year and they have the best record at Holston they have had since 1983 or 1984?  Are you saying that his coaching has nothing to do with it?  I believe that they only are giving up 7 points a game.   I actually saw them play earlier and they would be giving up less than that without subbing in the second half.  I will say this about Akers... everyone on here listens to the All Great and Knowing Wizards of Gate City, you know they invented football down there...  Look at Fort now compared to where they were a few months ago.  You can bash every coach on this board over something, but at the end of the day,  the coach doesn't block, the coach doesn't tackle, and the coach sure doesn't fumble the football. 

3.  Giles barely beat a mediocre Grayson team.

4.  Giles beat a miserable Blacksburg team.

5.  In other words, don't crown Giles just yet because they did give up 21 to a winless Fort team.

1 hour ago, falconfan1 said:

Let me get this straight....I am just trying to figure out what all was meant by the earlier post.

1.  VHS is now a juggernaut?  Patterson did weather a miserable start at Holston and had some success.  Congrats to him and VHS.  I will say that took a lot of perseverance on his part.    I will also say this, they do have some DUDES on that team; however, they did give up 93 points in two games. I am just saying that they have a very favorable schedule.  I am not sure they are the second best team in Region 2D or the fifth best team in 2D.  You shouldn't count out Union, Ridgeview, and Wise Central.  Graham is different.  I guess anyone is beatable on any given night. 

2.  What does no disrespect to Akers mean?  That makes absolutely no sense at all with what you said.  They lost the region D player of the year and the WCYB player of the year and they have the best record at Holston they have had since 1983 or 1984?  Are you saying that his coaching has nothing to do with it?  I believe that they only are giving up 7 points a game.   I actually saw them play earlier and they would be giving up less than that without subbing in the second half.  I will say this about Akers... everyone on here listens to the All Great and Knowing Wizards of Gate City, you know they invented football down there...  Look at Fort now compared to where they were a few months ago.  You can bash every coach on this board over something, but at the end of the day,  the coach doesn't block, the coach doesn't tackle, and the coach sure doesn't fumble the football. 

3.  Giles barely beat a mediocre Grayson team.

4.  Giles beat a miserable Blacksburg team.

5.  In other words, don't crown Giles just yet because they did give up 21 to a winless Fort team.

True but they did give up 14 of the 21 to fort chiswell in the last 2 minutes with JV kids in

4 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

True but they did give up 14 of the 21 to fort chiswell in the last 2 minutes with JV kids in

He also failed to mention that Holston was only beating Narrows 7-6 at halftime and Narrows gave them 21 points in the second half due to a muffed punt and two turnovers by Narrows in their own territory. 

16 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Sure, and the quarantine aspect should be noted, but it doesn't change the fact that it was 16-12 in Chilhowie's favor at the half, and there no starters on the field when Tazewell pulled away in the 2nd half.

Chilhowie struggled with JIB.....the fake field goal late in the 4th was the difference maker in the game. I know it was early in the season but both teams looked pretty equal. It seems like JIB lost the will to win after that game and have continue to lose ever since.