thursday games

generallyspeaking

8 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

Well there are those times when really good teams struggle from time to time but find a way to get it done.  Let's not act like Giles is the Giles of old.

We are not the Giles of old and I don’t know of anyone who said we was. All I said was that Giles is the second best team in the West and as of right now I don’t disagree with that after watching Holston and Chilhowie play against a common opponent.

51 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

But at the end of the day Galax is still 21 points better than anyone in the west so there’s that.

I agree with you, but look man, I don't think we blow Holston out if we play.  I think if we were to play them (and we won't), but if we were to play them, if we turn over 4 times and have 80 yds in penalties, they are within the margin of error (close enough) to beat us.  There are some teams we play where it makes no difference.  If we turn over 4 times and 80 penalty yards, we are still winning.  Holston is one of those Class 1 teams that would clip us if we did that.   (only my opinion).   A certain website that needs not be named, says Holston would beat Giles 31-21!!!  Now keep in mind, their track record around week 8 or this time of year starts to get fairly accurate.  I think we are under 21 with Galax.  If I'm wrong when and if we play again, I will admit it.  I just think we keep that game under 21.  I'm going with 17 points, and if we play Galax within 17 points for a Region Title Game and our season ends, that's one he** of a comeback from where we were 3 years ago.  That certain website agrees with you right now by the way.... 35-14 Galax over Giles by 21.

Grayson county is not as bad as some think and not as good as others think. Lol. defense is legit and will keep them in a lot of games. Example they held Giles and that offense in check. Our weakness is the offense... the fact that we are running a spread type O without the athletes to do it successfully. We are just don't have the line or skill people. We will have a much better gauge after the GW game in two weeks if a contender in playoffs or not. Possible to get Giles again in second round if make it. 

Chilhowie struggled with a team that GW hung 40 on and have two more tough games ahead of them. And Holston struggled with a team that  Giles hung 41 points on and that was a rivalry game. 

But the way Galax has played the last few weeks is scary. They seem to keep getri g better. They held Graham to 7 points at the Half and 28 total points with their whole receiving Corps out and six starters missing the game.  They did whatever they wanted against Fort and hung 35 on GW without throwing the ball. 

1 hour ago, vtdavis4321 said:

I agree with you, but look man, I don't think we blow Holston out if we play.  I think if we were to play them (and we won't), but if we were to play them, if we turn over 4 times and have 80 yds in penalties, they are within the margin of error (close enough) to beat us.  There are some teams we play where it makes no difference.  If we turn over 4 times and 80 penalty yards, we are still winning.  Holston is one of those Class 1 teams that would clip us if we did that.   (only my opinion).   A certain website that needs not be named, says Holston would beat Giles 31-21!!!  Now keep in mind, their track record around week 8 or this time of year starts to get fairly accurate.  I think we are under 21 with Galax.  If I'm wrong when and if we play again, I will admit it.  I just think we keep that game under 21.  I'm going with 17 points, and if we play Galax within 17 points for a Region Title Game and our season ends, that's one he** of a comeback from where we were 3 years ago.  That certain website agrees with you right now by the way.... 35-14 Galax over Giles by 21.

Well damn it's hard for anyone to win with 4 turnovers and 80 yards of penalties 

9 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Well damn it's hard for anyone to win with 4 turnovers and 80 yards of penalties 

It's hard, but still often likely. 

Union this year.  Lee, Burton, Gate City, Thomas Walker (if Union's starters play for 4 quarters) and Battle.  That's 5 wins for Union that they are winning EVEN IF they turn over 4 times and have 80 penalty yards.  Union and these teams are to far apart.  Far to much separation, and Union is so much better than them that even with 4 turnovers and 80 penalty yards, Union is winning.   Why?  Because Union;s Defense is the other part of the equation, and these teams aren't moving it, regardless of how much Union self destructs, and Union is still getting in the endzone 3 times on the possessions they don't turn over.

If Union does the above against Graham, Abingdon, Central, and Ridgeview, you are losing.  You may lose even if you don't do the above, but you are in trouble if you do that with these teams.  As for Richlands, I would call it close.  It's 50-50 in my opinion that Union can still pull out the W on Richlands with 4 turnovers and 80 plus penalty yards.  It think it would be a nailbiter if that happens, and it's the only way Richlands has a chance, and adding to Richlands having a chance, Richlands better be near damn perfect on their side as well because they just don't have any margin for error, if trying to pull the upset over Union.

26 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

It's hard, but still often likely. 

Union this year.  Lee, Burton, Gate City, Thomas Walker (if Union's starters play for 4 quarters) and Battle.  That's 5 wins for Union that they are winning EVEN IF they turn over 4 times and have 80 penalty yards.  Union and these teams are to far apart.  Far to much separation, and Union is so much better than them that even with 4 turnovers and 80 penalty yards, Union is winning.   Why?  Because Union;s Defense is the other part of the equation, and these teams aren't moving it, regardless of how much Union self destructs, and Union is still getting in the endzone 3 times on the possessions they don't turn over.

If Union does the above against Graham, Abingdon, Central, and Ridgeview, you are losing.  You may lose even if you don't do the above, but you are in trouble if you do that with these teams.  As for Richlands, I would call it close.  It's 50-50 in my opinion that Union can still pull out the W on Richlands with 4 turnovers and 80 plus penalty yards.  It think it would be a nailbiter if that happens, and it's the only way Richlands has a chance, and adding to Richlands having a chance, Richlands better be near damn perfect on their side as well because they just don't have any margin for error, if trying to pull the upset over Union.

You're definitely right about central and graham

9 minutes ago, foosballer said:

Poor effort by the author. The discussion back in 2020 about going down to 3 classifications lasted about 30 seconds and it was shut down. Also, he wrote that the VHSL in 2013 switched from 3 classifications to 6. That's false. They simply renamed what they call the 6 categories or level of play. Since 1986, Virginia has always had 6 levels of play or categories or classifications or whatever you want to call them. They have had several names, Divs 1 through 6, Group 1A through 6A, and now, Class 1 through 6.  We will end up at 4 or 5. I hope 5. 6 is to much and 4 is to little.

In the article, the author inferred that as recent as 2012-13, VA only had 3 levels of play. That's false. We haven't had 3 levels since 1985. In 1985, we had A, AA, and AAA.

I agree...I think it is way too far fetched with small schools having to face schools with double the enrollment.  The people making these decisions should go and watch a practice at a small single A school.  Keep a balance with hard numbers is the most logical thing in my opinion, but when does logic apply in our world today.

22 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Poor effort by the author. The discussion back in 2020 about going down to 3 classifications lasted about 30 seconds and it was shut down. Also, he wrote that the VHSL in 2013 switched from 3 classifications to 6. That's false. They simply renamed what they call the 6 categories or level of play. Since 1986, Virginia has always had 6 levels of play or categories or classifications or whatever you want to call them. They have had several names, Divs 1 through 6, Group 1A through 6A, and now, Class 1 through 6.  We will end up at 4 or 5. I hope 5. 6 is to much and 4 is to little.

In the article, the author inferred that as recent as 2012-13, VA only had 3 levels of play. That's false. We haven't had 3 levels since 1985. In 1985, we had A, AA, and AAA.

The point was that the VHSL seems to be leaning towards a 4 class system. https://www.timesnews.net/sports/vhsl-committee-proposes-dropping-from-6-classes-to-4/article_e542e0fc-12ad-58c4-ac9d-fb6a176a9ceb.html

With the proposed 376 - 751 for class 2 things would get interesting, especially for teams like Riverheads.  

3 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Blows my mind how Augusta Co has figured this out for Riverheads but Washington Co hasn't for Abingdon 

Think it's a matter of pride and prestige for Washington Co. Abingdon wouldn't stand out as the lone 3A school this side of 77 any longer. Victory tacos just wouldn't taste the same! haha

Semantics.  Bottom line is this, in the year of 1986 through present, the state of Virginia, in football, has had 6 levels of plays.  Now, call the word "levels" whatever you wish.  Call them categories, classifications, groups, A's, 1A's, 2A's, Divisions, whatever else one wishes to dream up.  We have had 6 state champions each year in football since the year of 1986, and that is........fact.  The author was lazy in his wording.  It would lead one to believe, and yes, any reasonable normal person not familiar with the Virginia system would be left thinking there are "6 were state champions in football, and now it is 3"  <------There were in 2012 and 2013, just like all the other years from 86 to present, 6 state champions.  Again, we've named them and renamed them then added, then subtracted or whatever several times.  

But, since 1986 in football in the state of Virginia, we have not changed ONE bit in Total levels of play, meaning, 6 state championships awarded every year for the last 35 years.  What we have called or named each of those state champions has certainly changed and how we have "categorized" them has changed, but the one constant.......6 state champs since 1986 which means......6 levels of play. <----call those levels/semantics whatever you wish

The reason the wording was lazy is because the discussion here and now at the VHSL is LITERALLY decreasing the levels of play, or to be more specific, the discussion is about decreasing the awarding of 6 state titles per year down to 4.  That's a WHOLE other ballgame.  This isn't about another "renaming" of what we call the 6 levels.  It's literally about removing 2 of the 6 levels down to awarding 4 state titles.  

That two division per class system was wonderful. Where else could graham with 500 students play Harrisonburg with 1500 students in the same class. What they are doing now works. It's fair for everyone.  Anything else is lunacy.

8 hours ago, CPF said:

That two division per class system was wonderful. Where else could graham with 500 students play Harrisonburg with 1500 students in the same class. 

Poor example, Graham chose to "play up" making the enrollment disparity worse. A better example is Clintwood with -350 playing for state against Buffalo Gap with +600 with both being in the same classification by rule. 

But you're right, the system was trash.

If the VHSL wants fewer championships then combine 5A and 6A, and allow more teams to make the playoffs in the new 5A. Enrollment differences mean less at those levels so the smaller 5A schools aren't really being burdened by having to play the larger schools.