Projections

Union_Fan

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Not sure who or what you are addressing this too. If it's the Vick/Curry information, they both graduated high school in 1997. Ronald Curry was not only an All-American in basketball and football, he was awarded the Dial High School Athlete of the Year for 1997/1998, was the MVP of the MCDonald's All-American game and won the dunk contest.

Ronald Curry ranks just below Osama bin Laden and Joseph Stalin on the hate meter for UVA fans.  

Curry committed to us pretty early in the process.  With our "QB of the future", we didn't turn our attention to Aaron Brooks's cousin, who had legitimate interest in following in his cousin's footsteps.  It only changed literally the next 20 years of trajectory for both football programs, which were essentially dead even in 1998.  Not saying Vick would've chosen UVA, but it'd have been pretty close.  And it would've turned those plodding Dan Ellis offenses in 1999-2000 into juggernauts.  

Then UNC came with bags of cash, and that ended that.  

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Ronald Curry ranks just below Osama bin Laden and Joseph Stalin on the hate meter for UVA fans.  

Curry committed to us pretty early in the process.  With our "QB of the future", we didn't turn our attention to Aaron Brooks's cousin, who had legitimate interest in following in his cousin's footsteps.  It only changed literally the next 20 years of trajectory for both football programs, which were essentially dead even in 1998.  Not saying Vick would've chosen UVA, but it'd have been pretty close.  And it would've turned those plodding Dan Ellis offenses in 1999-2000 into juggernauts.  

Lol

20 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Git 1 ting strit.  Vicki da man wuz cuse bown iffn nod those jump and downers lose'n out  . Y? Donnie Nabbs!

37 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

I remember Bobby Bowden state in an interview that he was told Curry was the QB in the nation coming out of high school and that somebody had lied to him.. Speaking of Vick. Lol 

Bowden’s recruiting coordinator Ronnie Cottrell famously told Bowden, Curry was the best recruit he’d ever seen in his 23 years in college football. Bowden recalled that during a television interview leading up to the National Championship game against VT, jokingly telling ESPN Cottrell lied to him, referring to Vick. 

Curry didn’t pan out as a QB. By his sophomore season, Curry was beaten out by Darian Durant, who started at QB for 4 years in Chapel Thrill. Curry did transition nicely to WR and carved out a pretty nice NFL career. Curry is currently an assistant coach for the New Orleans Saints now. 

Are there any games left next week that will affect seeding for playoffs in 1D & 2D or is it pretty much set now? I know I read maybe in another thread that SWD was Graham, VA High, Richlands, & Tazewell while M7 due to losses last night for Union & Ridgeviewl would be Central, Union, RIdgeview, & Gate City. I just wondered if this was set in stone or if there were rider points maybe for the final regular season games that might change something.  Will round 1 games be on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon? Is that up to the hosting school? 

10 minutes ago, FootballFan67 said:

Are there any games left next week that will affect seeding for playoffs in 1D & 2D or is it pretty much set now? I know I read maybe in another thread that SWD was Graham, VA High, Richlands, & Tazewell while M7 due to losses last night for Union & Ridgeviewl would be Central, Union, RIdgeview, & Gate City. I just wondered if this was set in stone or if there were rider points maybe for the final regular season games that might change something.  Will round 1 games be on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon? Is that up to the hosting school? 

The answer is no.  The M7 and SWD seed the top 4 teams according to district record first, then power ratings second.  If the district record is a tie, it goes to power rankings, such as the 3 way tie in the M7.  The SWD is set.  Richlands beat Tazewell and has the better SWD record, so SWD is done.  Graham 1, VH 2, Richlands 3, Tazewell 4.  

From what I gather from reading the board last night, the M7 is also set with Central 1, Union 2, Ridgeview 3, Gate City 4.  There was some discussion as to whether Union could possibly overtake Central for the 1 spot, pending on certain other games this week, but one poster wrote that Union can't make up the difference, and that the M7 is also set.

20 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

The answer is no.  The M7 and SWD seed the top 4 teams according to district record first, then power ratings second.  If the district record is a tie, it goes to power rankings, such as the 3 way tie in the M7.  The SWD is set.  Richlands beat Tazewell and has the better SWD record, so SWD is done.  Graham 1, VH 2, Richlands 3, Tazewell 4.  

From what I gather from reading the board last night, the M7 is also set with Central 1, Union 2, Ridgeview 3, Gate City 4.  There was some discussion as to whether Union could possibly overtake Central for the 1 spot, pending on certain other games this week, but one poster wrote that Union can't make up the difference, and that the M7 is also set.

I don't believe that's right. I believe it's top 4 based on PowerPoints. I know Lee has a chance to outpoint GC and they believe that would put them in. 

35 minutes ago, FootballFan67 said:

The last few spots of 1D are pretty wide open. 

31 minutes ago, appyvol said:

The last few spots of 1D are pretty wide open. 

Appyvol, as for 1D, I have no idea.  They are probably wide open.  I thought you were asking about Class 2D.  In 2D, zero spots are open. The playoffs are already set. I also thought it was based on power ratings, but FoxTrot confirmed last night that the coaches/AD's did in fact, agree at the beginning of the season that it goes like this....

Top 4 in Each District as determined first by district record.  If a two team tie in district record, then head to head winner.  If a three team tie for the same district record, it then goes to power ratings.  Again, Foxtrot confirmed that this was agreed to and has already been decided on at the beginning of the season.  This discussion came up last night, and it was fairly lengthily. 

So, for the SWD, it's done.  It has actually been done.  Tazewell and Richlands are close/will finish close in power rating, but lets say Tazewell were to outpoint Richlands.  It does NOT matter.  Tazewell is the 4 seed because Richlands has the better district record by beating Tazewell.  Both Richlands and Tazewell of course lost/lose to Va High and Graham, and both beat Marion, so that head to head game gave Richlands the better district record.

As for the M7, All three teams at the top finish 7-3.  All lost to Abingdon, and then Central, Union, RV all finish with the exact same M7 district record.  Because of that, it then goes to power points.  Again, this was discussed at length yesterday and UVAObserver put out a bit on this in the M7.  I'm telling ya, it's Central 1, Union 2, and RV 3, and Gate City will be the 4 seed barely over Lee High.  Now, why Gate City is already done and set over Lee High for the 4th spot?  Again, district record comes first, then powerpoints.  Similar to Richlands and Tazewell, lets say Lee High outpointed Gate City (it's going to be very close) but it will NOT matter.  Gate City has the better district record by one game because they beat Lee High head to head.  Even if Lee High were to somehow, someway, beat Abingdon, this would leave Lee with a definitely higher power rating than Gate City, but it will not matter.  They would then finish with the same district record (if Lee somehow beat Abingdon), then they look at head to head in which Gate City won the game head to head, and the power ratings are last if everything else is equal (such as a three way tie)

So again, I don't want to be a negative Nancy, but there truly isn't one game that matters this week in Class 2D (I don't have any idea about 1D).  Even if GC beats Ridgeview somehow, Ridgeview is still the 3 seed.  It's set, regardless of whether Lee somehow were to stun Abingdon, Central is 1, Union is 2, RV is 3, Gate City is 4.  Lets say GC somehow beats Ridgeview, RV is still the 3 seed, but then you have a two way tie for first with Central and Union.  Even though Central will have a higher power rating, it wouldn't matter, because Central won the head to head contest with Union. In the SWD, 1 Graham, 2 VH, 3 Richlands, 4 Tazewell.  

AppyVol, from what I read last night, there is no "reseeding" in round two.

For example in Region 2D.  SWD is Graham, VH, Richlands, Tazewell in that order.   M7 is Central, Union, RV, Gate City in that order.

So in round 1, Graham hosts GC (lets say Graham wins).  VH hosts RV (lets say RV wins).  Central hosts Tazewell (say Tazewell wins)  Union hosts Richlands (say Union wins)

In round two, Graham would play Union (M72 seed) and Central (M71 seed) would host Ridgeview (M73 seed).  You would think Graham, the 1seed from the SWD that has a higher power rating than Central would get to host the lowest remaining seeded team in round 2 which would be Ridgeview, but they aren't doing it that way.  They are crossbracketing.  Then in round 3, it comes down to who has the highest power rating as the host team.

I don't quite get the round 2 deal above.  One would think a team like Graham, the highest power rating should be hosting Ridgeview, the lowest remaining seed if the above scenario worked out in round one, but they aren't doing it like this.  They are having pretty much predetermined games in round 1 and round 2, and that is, the Graham/GC winner will automatically play the Union/Richlands winner and Va High/RV winner automatically plays the Central/Tazewell winner.  

Not exactly sure why the va high / Richlands game next Friday wouldn’t determine the #2 in the SWD .   Some of the posters who have a basically conceded the game to va high , also posted over a month ago that Tazewell had a great shot vs va high.  Basically , if Richlands at minimum is equal to Tazewell,  I would imagine that the Richlands/ Va High game would be competitive.  I’m thinking Richlands has played the tougher schedule.  Va high has probably looked more impressive.   No doubt va high will have more skill players on field but would assume this should be a really good game.  

6 minutes ago, tiger2001 said:

Not exactly sure why the va high / Richlands game next Friday wouldn’t determine the #2 in the SWD .   Some of the posters who have a basically conceded the game to va high , also posted over a month ago that Tazewell had a great shot vs va high.  Basically , if Richlands at minimum is equal to Tazewell,  I would imagine that the Richlands/ Va High game would be competitive.  I’m thinking Richlands has played the tougher schedule.  Va high has probably looked more impressive.   No doubt va high will have more skill players on field but would assume this should be a really good game.  

Richlands may hang with them they played good second half vs Union but their defense couldn't stop the run at all

20 minutes ago, tiger2001 said:

It would, but there's one catch.  They aren't beating Va High.  Won't be close.  Bad, bad, bad matchup for the Blues who are really struggling, and VH is rolling and has a crap ton of speed, and Richlands other than Webb, once you get to the second level, they are very slow.  VH by 4 touchdowns.  Not going to be a close game, and no disrespect to the Blues who I hope get good again soon, but it's just not happening this year.

Richlands best chances against a team that is better than them is one that would be a run oriented team that passes very little, and doesn't put it in the air much.  Va High has everything that Richlands struggles with...........speed, and not just speed, spreading you out in open space forcing you to contain that speed.  The matchup is a nightmare for Richlands.  Richlands I think would play Central closer than VH just because of the matchup.   In this game, watch for VH to just toss sweep left, toss sweep right, pitch left, pitch right, and the running back will get the corner 9 out of 10 times and it comes down to whether Webb can make the touchdown saving tackle, in which he will most of the time, but he can't be in perfect position every play, and sooner or later, Richlands will get caught with it.  Calpreps only has this game at 41-27 in favor of VH.  I think Calpreps gets this one a lot more wrong than they are right.

I was wondering about the scenario, as well. I'm not going to make a prediction or pretend to know, but there have been many faster and more skilled Virginia High teams that have lost to Richlands. Football is a funny game, especially with high school kids. Discipline, break-ups, injury, illness, etc. can change things in a hurry.  The examples of regular season and playoff rematch reversals are too many for me to believe it is a sure thing.

55 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

It would, but there's one catch.  They aren't beating Va High.  Won't be close.  Bad, bad, bad matchup for the Blues who are really struggling, and VH is rolling and has a crap ton of speed, and Richlands other than Webb, once you get to the second level, they are very slow.  VH by 4 touchdowns.  Not going to be a close game, and no disrespect to the Blues who I hope get good again soon, but it's just not happening this year.

Richlands best chances against a team that is better than them is one that would be a run oriented team that passes very little, and doesn't put it in the air much.  Va High has everything that Richlands struggles with...........speed, and not just speed, spreading you out in open space forcing you to contain that speed.  The matchup is a nightmare for Richlands.  Richlands I think would play Central closer than VH just because of the matchup.   In this game, watch for VH to just toss sweep left, toss sweep right, pitch left, pitch right, and the running back will get the corner 9 out of 10 times and it comes down to whether Webb can make the touchdown saving tackle, in which he will most of the time, but he can't be in perfect position every play, and sooner or later, Richlands will get caught with it.  Calpreps only has this game at 41-27 in favor of VH.  I think Calpreps gets this one a lot more wrong than they are right.

I am a VA High fan, and can tell you this game will be very close. VA High hasn’t beaten Richlands in 22 years. Richlands is more physical up front and we are limping in with some key injuries. 

This game is for second place in the district and it is going to be cold. 

2 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

I am a VA High fan, and can tell you this game will be very close. VA High hasn’t beaten Richlands in 22 years. Richlands is more physical up front and we are limping in with some key injuries. 

This game is for second place in the district and it is going to be cold. 

Well see. It might be close. I just think many are judging Richlands a lot by their past and want to see them be good again. I know I do, but Richlands is just not a good football team this year. They are actually Not very good up front.  They are Not very good on the DL, nor the OL. They like to throw it and VA Highs weakness is the run, not so much the pass. Perfect match up for VH. Coming into the game is a new VA High. New coach, knowing it's for 2 in the district, knowing the abysmal record against Richlands over the years, I think VH comes out sky high and absolutely body slams the monkey that's been on their backs for so long in this series.

VHs advantage is the coach. He's abnormal. He's very good, and very good coached teams get Better at a rate Faster than most other teams. This is what's happened with VH this year.  Different Coach and a Different Culture for VH at this point. Richlands in my opinion, is in deep dookey.