Bluefield at Ridgeview

Beavers Rule

Any predictions on this one.  The Beavers need to win their last two games to get into playoffs.  They will have enough games now to qualify with a recent forfeit to Woodrow Wilson.  If they can make the playoffs I think they have a pretty good shot at winning it.  This game concerns me though, it appears Ridgeview is a good team and will be tough to beat at their place.

6 minutes ago, Beavers Rule said:

Any predictions on this one.  The Beavers need to win their last two games to get into playoffs.  They will have enough games now to qualify with a recent forfeit to Woodrow Wilson.  If they can make the playoffs I think they have a pretty good shot at winning it.  This game concerns me though, it appears Ridgeview is a good team and will be tough to beat at their place.

RV did not handle the Abingdon passing game well last week. What I have seen from Bluefield this year the RV DBs will need to be on top of there game. Both teams need a win I think it will be a great game to watch

8 minutes ago, redtiger said:

How has Bluefield done overall this season? They lost to Graham early correct? What was the score? 

They’ve done well with the exception of losing to Princeton & Graham. They had two weeks practice before Graham game but had been shut down before that. Graham handled them easily. Bluefield looked a little confused on offense several times but I’m sure they’ve cleaned that up by now. 

Graham dominated  Bluefield on the line of scrimmage and contained Bluefield's speedy backs and receivers with speed of their own and good tackling. If the lineplay for Ridgeview is solid and they can pressure the QB and get to the backs early, then it should be a good ball game. Final score was Graham 31 and Bluefield 6.

Ridgeview has a dandy QB, several good WRs and some speed. Line play is good, but not much of a running game. The key will be the 'Pack D. They have to play to their potential. Ridgeview can win, but the weather might tilt the game in Bluefield's direction.

30 minutes ago, redtiger said:

How has Bluefield done overall this season? They lost to Graham early correct? What was the score? 

3-2 at this point Losses to Graham (7-0) and Princeton (5-1) Wins over Pikeview (2-5) Tazwell (3-5) and Oakhill (3-5)

31 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Would really surprise me if RV won this game. Ridgeview seems to be a bit stronger at the pass than the run. The Beavers are fine on pass defense. Their issue is the run in between the tackles. The match up favors the Beavers. Going with Bluefield 34, Ridgeview 21

Rv should get +7 because off because of the long ride that Bluefield had to take. I’ll be curious to see how Ridgeview responds to getting blown out last week. Hopefully they come out strong. This will tell a lot as to what kind of playoff run they can make. 

4 hours ago, Counts said:

3-2 at this point Losses to Graham (7-0) and Princeton (5-1) Wins over Pikeview (2-5) Tazwell (3-5) and Oakhill (3-5)

Bluefield is 3-3.  They had to forfeit to Woodrow Wilson today.  Only way they can be eligible for the playoffs is to have at least 8 games.  They would have only had 7 without the forfeit and be ineligible for the playoffs.  They will need to win their last 2 to have a chance to get in.  I don't think 4-4 will get them in. 5-3, might but it'll be close.

42 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Rv should get +7 because off because of the long ride that Bluefield had to take. I’ll be curious to see how Ridgeview responds to getting blown out last week. Hopefully they come out strong. This will tell a lot as to what kind of playoff run they can make. 

Bluefield has won 3 contests and put up big numbers in those games, however those were games that they were expected to win and win big.  I'm not sold on Bluefield being very good this year.  This game will be a litmus test for them.  If they can beat the Pack, then I'll be convinced that they have a quality team.  I can't pick a winner in this one.  Bluefield has a lot of speed and athleticism, but if they can't get past the line of scrimmage, it won't matter.

I know Graham fans may not want to admit this, and no question, Graham backhanded the Beavers, BUT........you could see the talent in the second half on offense. You could feel it. You could see that when they were lining up and not completely confused or self destruction, the Beavers started to show flashes. They started to have some of those typical big burst/explosive plays even against Graham. It was far to late by the time it occurred, but it told me the Beavers, when all is said and done, will deviate very little from what they usually are. They beat Tazewell far worse than what most people thought they would.

Remember what I told you, and if I'm wrong, I will post first calling out myself. They are going to take Ridgeview apart this weekend. Want to know the true second best team in the coverage area by regular seasons end behind Graham? It will be the Beavers. That class of juniors and sophomores up there is crazy talented. They are maturing at a rate much faster and higher by the day compared to almost all of the schools in the coverage area because their ceiling is so stupid high.

10 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

I know Graham fans may not want to admit this, and no question, Graham backhanded the Beavers, BUT........you could see the talent in the second half on offense. You could feel it. You could see that when they were lining up and not completely confused or self destruction, the Beavers started to show flashes. They started to have some of those typical big burst/explosive plays even against Graham. It was far to late by the time it occurred, but it told me the Beavers, when all is said and done, will deviate very little from what they usually are. They beat Tazewell far worse than what most people thought they would.

Remember what I told you, and if I'm wrong, I will post first calling out myself. They are going to take Ridgeview apart this weekend. Want to know the true second best team in the coverage area by regular seasons end behind Graham? It will be the Beavers. That class of juniors and sophomores up there is crazy talented. They are maturing at a rate much faster and higher by the day compared to almost all of the schools in the coverage area because their ceiling is so stupid high.

I disagree.

4 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I disagree.

And that's the beauty of a message board.  Diverse opinions.  I'm going to take it a step further.  The Beavers make it at least to the state semifinals in West Virginia, and I put them at 50/50 to actually win the West Virginia state championship.  Now, largely because WV AA is way, way down this year.  

3 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Ridgeview hasn't seen this type of speed this year. Can Ridgeview's line keep them in the backfield? They better have a great defensive line if not its gonna be a long night. 

Unless Ridgeview can find some way to run the ball I don't think they can win. Play calling has consisted of run up between the tackles two plays, get stuffed, and then try to chuck it deep to #7 to bail them out. Ridgeview has played 3 good teams and are 1-2 in those games. They are only 2-3 plays away from being 0-3 in those games. I think they may be better defensively than they showed last week but I guess we will find out.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:24 PM, spyhunter said:

Unless Ridgeview can find some way to run the ball I don't think they can win. Play calling has consisted of run up between the tackles two plays, get stuffed, and then try to chuck it deep to #7 to bail them out. Ridgeview has played 3 good teams and are 1-2 in those games. They are only 2-3 plays away from being 0-3 in those games. I think they may be better defensively than they showed last week but I guess we will find out.

I’ve said it all year…..they want to be a power running team so bad but don’t realize they have everything they need to be a passing team.  It’s borderline a waste of their talent.

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I’ll drop this nugget:  Last week RV rushed 26 times for 16 yards with over half of those rushes being for 0 or negative yards.  I’ve said it all year…..they want to be a power running team so bad but don’t realize they have everything they need to be a passing team.  It’s borderline a waste of their talent.

I don't mind them running some of the time, but you are correct. They should be passing. It doesn't have to be long passes. Just run screens and crossing routes. Easy throws that gets the players in space. When they did that in the 2nd half at Union they moved the ball effectively. It doesn't have to be bombs all game either.

The only thing we could even halfway get going was the short range pass attack and then their defenders held for no YAC.  The deep balls were covered very well by their speed and their aggressive Dline gave little comfort in the pocket.  Was able to run with some success but we are not a rushing team at all.  Their speed on getting to the corners and beating coverage is some of the best I've seen this year.  Graham fans may want to argue with me, but there is no way the game would be a blowout like it was if they played again. 

Running the ball is kind of a necessity at this level but I think its how we run the ball......more jet sweep type stuff to Beavers and Hill and get our speed to the edge......then throw off that.

Like the Wise Central game, probably could have thrown more but in the second half Beavers getting to the edge was what sealed that game.

Also could we coin this game the battle of the Beavers?

7 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

I don't mind them running some of the time, but you are correct. They should be passing. It doesn't have to be long passes. Just run screens and crossing routes. Easy throws that gets the players in space. When they did that in the 2nd half at Union they moved the ball effectively. It doesn't have to be bombs all game either.

RV needs to be better at the LOS to be able to throw the ball and run. They don't have the line to pull it off this year. The only reason you had success in the second half against Union was the loss of one of their better cover players. Most of the night the QB was under pressure and making bad throws and mistakes. Same thing happened when Abingdon brought pressure all night. The only way you get better at passing is to design plays that allows the QB time to throw (sprint out) or happen in less than 3 seconds. 

7 hours ago, stu_bean said:

The only thing we could even halfway get going was the short range pass attack and then their defenders held for no YAC.  The deep balls were covered very well by their speed and their aggressive Dline gave little comfort in the pocket.  Was able to run with some success but we are not a rushing team at all.  Their speed on getting to the corners and beating coverage is some of the best I've seen this year.  Graham fans may want to argue with me, but there is no way the game would be a blowout like it was if they played again. 

I don't think it would be a blowout either, but keep in mind, Graham has also really hit the gas in improvement, perhaps second only to the Beavers in improvement. Central is also up there, but Graham also had some super talented, but inexperienced lineman to start the season, and their line has really taken off. A nasty line that doesn't look the same and I'm now to the point that if Graham and Union play again, I'm not sold Union is rushing it for over 150 yards. Union is going to be greatly surprised, if the two play again, in Grahams line. It's not going to be the same bunch they remembered from early in the year.