Week 10 updates.

Real Sasquatch

37 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

For Union, your culture is so far or so swung to being run oriented that it's just far to much of an outdated system in 2021 when teams can score so quick with the pass.  You can still be heavily run oriented, but Union's culture is so skewed to the run that when they get into a situation where they have to pass, it's like pouring water on an electrical circuit.  So many times, defenses just sell out on first down and it's almost like a goal line defense in anticipation of the run, and so many times against good teams, Union finds themselves at 2nd and 9, and this just can cripple drives.  Where Union needs a culture change is installing a conservative pass, even a simple hitch on some of those first downs to keep the defense from just stacking the box.  Don't have to be a passing team, but they at least need a short effective efficient passing game that can't always come from desperation, but should sometimes, occasionally, come as a first choice.

2nd and 9 isn't biggest issue it's holding calls our offense just isn't able to recover from it.  1st and 20 and punt team might as well get ready

3 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

How in the world did they get shut out?

Moved ball decent first half 1 possession gotta holding call killed drive, thru a pick 6 , and fumbled snaps a few times.  Looked like it might've been first time some of the players ever seen rain

28 minutes ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

The frustrating part is there is so much more that could be run out of the T. And yes including a passing game Travis lived in the T and threw the ball well and alot. 

You're not wrong. I wouldn't be nearly as anti-T if it included much more diverse playcalling.  I still think you need receivers wide to create space at times but you can throw from the T, you can counter, trap, etc.... Just seems Union is so limited in calling the plays from the T. Basically three plays they run. The gun they ran tonight was effective, having the two wing backs with the QB and Lomax. Created lot of different looks to fool the defense and it worked   

But until they develop a passing attack that can successfully move the ball in end of half/game or long distance situations, gonna be tough to win against great teams. Tonight is somewhat of a bad example, the rain made it very hard to throw but Abingdon managed to do it quite a few times and most were completed. Union had one IIRC, the HB screen to Lomax (something they should run more tbh)

5 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah 3 weeks ago I thought we could win region now I'm not sure we win round 1 and it doesn't matter who we play

This was supposed to be a state worthy team this year. The players looked the part, but the coaching, play calling and preparation have most certainly not.

I know we had a couple of injuries to crucial players, but still...