Week 10 updates.

Real Sasquatch

1 minute ago, Topper22 said:

The Riverheafs beating of Tazwell is all of  the sudden way  less impressive after going to 5 OT with a very very bad 1A  FC team. 

Fort Chiswell isn’t “bad”.  They’ve been on the wrong end of a bunch of close games.  The only game they were truly blown out was Radford, back when Radford had its full compliment of players.  If you look more closely at that 0-9 record, you’ll see 6 games where they held their opposition under 30 only for their offense to fail them.  They’re just pretty badly undersized.

Not all records are created equal.

Fort Chiswell’s record is a bit misleading. They have talent. Haven’t had competent coaching since Todd Tiller left for Ridgeview. Similar situation to Blacksburg. Good man leading the program who is way out of his depth as a head coach. 

Besides, Riverheads still won 56-19. The score was 42-0 at halftime and Tazewell scored 12 of their 19 points against the JV’s. 

12 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

I hate to say it, but that's Crist.  They got him.  The guy somehow, someway, has niche for being able to lose when they should have won.  You should have watched the Radford vs Galax game.  He's left two on the field this year.  Dude is cursed or snakebitten or something.

Did he drop the int? Geez it's on the players...must have been in position(coaches responsibility to have them there)

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Fort Chiswell isn’t “bad”.  They’ve been on the wrong end of a bunch of close games.  The only game they were truly blown out was Radford, back when Radford had its full compliment of players.  If you look more closely at that 0-9 record, you’ll see 6 games where they held their opposition under 30 only for their offense to fail them.  They’re just pretty badly undersized.

Looking back at FC results this year. It looks like they was in every game except Radford, Giles and Galax. Looks like all those games their points came In garbage time. 

So yeah I could see them being a 6-3 team if the ball bounced a little differently  

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Did he drop the int? Geez it's on the players...must have been in position(coaches responsibility to have them there)

Jeez, stop.  You think it's just about the INT/Completion at the end?    It's like arguing Fu and Notre Dame.  Did Fu kick the field goal for Notre Dame at the end?  The point is, it's what happens BEFORE those critical events occur, you know, the other 47.5 minutes of the game that places their team in situations (regularly) where they shouldn't be in the first place.  Now, if it's a one offer, ok, that happens, but when it become a pattern or a trend, then it's a problem.  Who defines if it's a problem?  The fanbase has a big part.  That loss for Tech against ND and Syracuse had Fu written all over it.  Same with Radford last night with Crist, and it's why you have already heard some discontent with him on this board (at least I have, I read some of the Radford comments a while back).  I also read some of VH's fans comments.

3 hours ago, GMan said:

That's a shocker!!!  Martinsburg beat Salem earlier in the season...

Got to wonder about Martinsburg Coaching Situation.  I know nothing about him.  He may be incredibly good, but I do know they lost an absolute beast of coach who came to Concord.  This guy was on another planet.  Whenever teams lose a juggernaut coach, it's often tough to be just as good.  Don't know though.  The new coach at Martinsburg might be better than the old one, but I think that would be tough to do.  

46 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Jeez, stop.  You think it's just about the INT/Completion at the end?    It's like arguing Fu and Notre Dame.  Did Fu kick the field goal for Notre Dame at the end?  The point is, it's what happens BEFORE those critical events occur, you know, the other 47.5 minutes of the game that places their team in situations (regularly) where they shouldn't be in the first place.  Now, if it's a one offer, ok, that happens, but when it become a pattern or a trend, then it's a problem.  Who defines if it's a problem?  The fanbase has a big part.  That loss for Tech against ND and Syracuse had Fu written all over it.  Same with Radford last night with Crist, and it's why you have already heard some discontent with him on this board (at least I have, I read some of the Radford comments a while back).  I also read some of VH's fans comments.

Ok whatever you say....but int should have been made by a PLAYER

20 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Ok whatever you say....but int should have been made by a PLAYER

No argument there.  But again, shouldn't have been at 10 with a chance to win.  It's what losing coaches do bro.  There are those on the other side that so often, they come out on top with games like that.  It's just the way it is.  Some coaches, in that situation, somehow win it 8 out of 10 times, and some go 50-50, and some find a way to lose a game like that 7 or 8 out of 10 times.  Those little things are the DIFFERENCE in good coaches and not so good coaches.  It's what Crist does man.  You should know that.  Remember what Dennis Miller told Joe Dirt?  "Stinky stuff is your milieu."  Losing close games is simply Crist's milieu.  Doesn't make him a bad dude, but it's just what he does.  The former coach at Martinsburg, winning close games is his milieu.  Just what he did.  It's really not that complicated.  For you it might be, but it's really that simple.  

P.S.  The Radford Player at halftime outside the locker room hitting on the cheerleader?  Those LITTLE things are what helps that milieu.  Ask Va High fans.  At some point in time, when losing close becomes a pattern, it becomes who your are.  As a losing coach like Fu will do, he will somehow, someway, often find his team in situations that give the opponent the opportunity to win.  It's just what he does, it's who he is, it's really that simple.

Christ has only been at Radford for this season, but as a Radford fan I can tell you there is talk.  The thing with the player outside the locker room last night at half time didn't sit well.  We've had two games this year where he had big leads, outplayed the opponent by a decent amount and somehow lost.  I hope we turn it around next year, but I'm beginning to have my doubts now.  I wanted the Va High fans to be wrong when they discussed this early in the year on here.  I'm beginning to wonder now

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Galax blew them out as well

1 hour ago, Fairlawncat said:

Christ has only been at Radford for this season, but as a Radford fan I can tell you there is talk.  The thing with the player outside the locker room last night at half time didn't sit well.  We've had two games this year where he had big leads, outplayed the opponent by a decent amount and somehow lost.  I hope we turn it around next year, but I'm beginning to have my doubts now.  I wanted the Va High fans to be wrong when they discussed this early in the year on here.  I'm beginning to wonder now

Who did they outplay and lose to?

On 10/30/2021 at 12:40 PM, Fairlawncat said:

16 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

The problem with Crist is overall discipline!  I don’t want to put salt into the wound with him, but from a far it looks like Radford has had a good year. 

This group of Junior and Seniors did very, very well in junior high and most would have thought we would have been a llikely 9-1 team coming into the season.  I know I did, and I don't usually think we are good enough to go 9-1.  Credit the Maroon Tide for their comeback, but I just felt like we left one on the field with Galax with the lead we had, then turnovers, discipline issues.  Same for Glenvar.  When watching the Cats over the years and comparing the talent on this team to so many in years past, this team is kind of near the top of the heap.  Not as good as the 2018 team that beat Appo, but still pretty talented with lots of speed and athleticism.  The folks over here up to this point, would likely tell you they feel we have underachieved, so from my viewpoint, not that good of a year.  Maybe we get lucky and beat Appo!  One can wish  As for the discipline thing, hopefully it turns around, but this is the least disciplined team I've seen at Radford in about 10 years.  

5 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It was a 4-score game that was cracked open late.  Giles, on the other hand…19 isn’t really a blowout.

5 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It was a 4-score game that was cracked open late.  Giles, on the other hand…19 isn’t really a blowout.

Galax won by 28 and they were up pretty big in the first half if I remember right 

17 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It is when they score 2 TDs in last 2 minutes against our JV....you just looking at final I was there...it was an ass kicking

It was 40-6 or 7 with 2 minutes to go...that's a blowout

18 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Down 23-0, threw zero passes.

until Union realizes that damn T is not the only way to move the ball, they'll never win any hardware outside the region. The most effective drive all night came from the gun. 

Agreed.  Just have to look at the two teams that have found success winning state championships: Graham and Richlands….both had a good balance of pass and run and allowed their offenses to feature their athletes.  Union’s rigid adherence to an old school offense limits some their athletes.  I’ll never understand placing the culture of an offense over productivity.  RV has their problem with it as well.  They insist on trying to run first in a region where every damn defense is built to stop the run.  Only when they realize that the first  half is over and it’s not working do they go to what they are good at.  That is the folly of the coaches featuring THEIR offense and not featuring the athletes.  The whole concept of modern football is creating mismatches and making a defense defend the whole field.  Mance, at Richlands, was a master of this and his success shows.