Week 11 updates

VHSLhelper

36 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

If I recall correctly, madness and Marion go hand in hand.  Well, if the place is still open.  Back in the day, Marion used to have themselves on he** of a funny farm over that way.

It’s still open. They bring the crazies from around the area in all the time. 

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Calling my shot now.  This is the SWVA team that will dethrone Appomattox.

I wouldn’t go that far yet. Graham will have to get past Union (which it’s hard to beat a team like Union twice). If we’re fortunate enough to do that, there’s most likely Central waiting which is probably the most disciplined team Graham will face thus far. I’m hoping you’re right but there’s a lot of football yet to be played. 

1 hour ago, starcityfootballfan said:

When the season started I thought 7-3 likely ... 8-2 possibly! The surprise wins were over Union, Bluefield,  and Pulaski County.

Very proud of this group of young men! Every drive to the games has certainly been worth it!

Roanoke bound!

The defense has progressed nicely throughout the season.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Calling my shot now.  This is the SWVA team that will dethrone Appomattox.

You may be right.  Graham seems to have it all this year.  Speed, size, strength and good coaching.  Home field throughout the playoffs is huge.  The freshman, Hill has really impressed me the past few games.  Clements is playing very well.  Sean Hughes and Huggins are unsung heroes on this team with their great run blocking.  Tackling has improved tremendously and the speed on defense is impressive. Penalties have been cut down a lot.  If they can maintain their focus, they have a shot.  They are playing some physical football right now.

14 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The defense has progressed nicely throughout the season.

I agree, defense is clicking on all cylinders it seems. Lots of good tackling and keying in on the ball and reading the plays. The offense has so many options. Teams can key in on Bradshaw which would hurt if he’s was the only talent offensively but Blevins, Clements, Brown, Watkins, younger Meadows, etc. Graham has developed an arsenal of playmakers in addition to Bradshaw. I think that’s what makes them dangerous going into the playoffs. If offense is clicking and defense stays on point. I like our chances in the region. It’s not a given GMen win the region but I think they have a good shot at it if they play up to their ability and limit mistakes. 

4 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

A lot of people like to talk about that 1998 PV team, but I don't think that team would've beaten the 95 team. 

I remember the regional title game in 98 and Clintwood had the ball in a tie game in the 4th Qtr. Then in Clintwood fashion those days everything fell apart in a quickly and PV won. 

That was the closest game PV had the entire year after squeaking by Lee in opener IIRC, a two TD win (and wasn't Justin Hamilton on that team?) in playoffs and a four TD win at CW in reg season. The state title game was same margin, 27-14. 

was it the playoff game or the regular season game when Juice was playing DB and absolutely annihilated a CW kid? I'll never forget that hit. One of hardest I've ever seen.

And a lot of BSG folk believe 1995 was the best PV team. 1997 was most accomplished, beating two other state champs and the D4 semi finalist, but the 1995 season had one game decided by less than 12. 1997 had one game decided by one score (Appalachia) and most of the rest were total blowouts. Even title game was three score win. 

1997 allowed less than 10 PPG and scored 36 (36-9). 1998 scored more (avg 41 ppg) but allowed slightly more (11 ppg).

On 11/3/2021 at 12:20 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

Correct....then Powell valley beat the living hell out of the next week lol

Was a senior at Virginia High that year.  Had passing conversations with a handful of JSB players that week.  When they replied "we've watched tape" when I asked if they'd seen the single wing before, I laughed and told them y'all ....  you get the idea.  They laughed when I told them a one-eyed tailback was gonna run for at least 150 and 2 TDs.  I laughed most of that game.  Damn, it was ugly.

2 hours ago, GMan said:

Could be due to the fact they've played some piss poor teams, too. 

To me it seems the gap between the "good" teams and the rest of the field is pretty large. Maybe it's just the difference in the way offense is played today compared to back in the day. But the good teams that spread it out put up points so fast on these lesser teams.

Hats off to Marion for sticking out this season and playing to the end. It seems schools tend to pack it in and call it a season instead of finishing it out regardless of record. 

7 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Was a senior at Virginia High that year.  Had passing conversations with a handful of JSB players that week.  When they replied "we've watched tape" when I asked if they'd seen the single wing before, I laughed and told them y'all ....  you get the idea.  They laughed when I told them a one-eyed tailback was gonna run for at least 150 and 2 TDs.  I laughed most of that game.  Damn, it was ugly.

He ran for over 300 that night lol

Draft vs Riverheads, Round 2, tonight at 7 on NFHS. 

Tonight, I will be eyeballing the Bandana Bunch, listening to Radford vs James River, and glancing back and forth on my phone to Riverheads and Draft. Those two seem to like this "playing 2 times a year thing."

I have a feeling....just a hunch.....Riverheads is going to get beat tonight. But, there's the mental thing. Have to wonder how much of it is a mentality thing with Draft.

Go Spartans!

5 hours ago, GMan said:

This is true.  I suppose when regional play starts we will see how / If They have progressed.  But they are playing more aggressively and know their roles quite a bit better for sure.  I think Bradshaw becomes a bigger target in the playoffs also.  They will find ways to get him the ball. (At least, they should) 

29 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

This is true.  I suppose when regional play starts we will see how / If They have progressed.  But they are playing more aggressively and know their roles quite a bit better for sure.  I think Bradshaw becomes a bigger target in the playoffs also.  They will find ways to get him the ball. (At least, they should) 

Graham's defensive line is the noticeable difference for me, just my opinion.  Can't push them off the ball hardly an inch.  And, I'm not just talking about Meadows and the Roberts kids, it's the other 2 thick-wide bodied kids they have there which are quick on their feet and strong.  Meadows and I think it's Roberts, number 65 or 56 on the DL were legit from game one, but again, it's the other 2 on the front four that look like completely different football players.  This could spell trouble for heavy run teams like Central or Union (if they meet) and even Appo (if Graham and Appo were to get that far) because Graham's run defense is just not the same defense from the first 4 weeks of the season.  Early in the year with Graham, a team that ran that got past Meadows and Roberts with the run was at the second level of the defense leaving Graham's LB's and secondary to make the tackle, but there's a lot less of that.  The emergence of the other two defensive lineman is showing a bunch of Graham defensive plays where the running back is not even getting to the second level of the defense.  That's a bad sign for run oriented opponents.

1 hour ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Draft vs Riverheads, Round 2, tonight at 7 on NFHS. 

Tonight, I will be eyeballing the Bandana Bunch, listening to Radford vs James River, and glancing back and forth on my phone to Riverheads and Draft. Those two seem to like this "playing 2 times a year thing."

I have a feeling....just a hunch.....Riverheads is going to get beat tonight. But, there's the mental thing. Have to wonder how much of it is a mentality thing with Draft.

Go Spartans!

If you find a way to eyeball the bandana bunch tonight as you say please let me and the rest of the Spartans know how you did this?

Cause they play tomorrow hahaha

8 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Damn, you're right!  Just got off the phone.  Well, I'm driving up 1-81 then.  Going to watch Riverheads and Draft.

Would like to see it but not going that far for 2 teams I really don't care about...if I was going to go that far I'd go see Liberty christian and EC Glass

I have relatives, a sister that lives in Spottswood, otherwise, I wouldn't make the drive either if she wasn't there.  Flew over my head on the game change.  Never caught it.   LCA and Glass would be a good one, but I can't deal with the Lynchburg stop lights.  Drives me mad.

10 hours ago, GMan said:

I guess we will see. I think the defense has progressed tremendously especially against the run. The line has definitely improved and I think Graham has found the perfect duo of Hughes and Meadows at LB. The one area that Graham needs to work on is defending the pass. I’ve seen some weakness there. Going into playoffs they need to be prepared to see some good teams that pass the ball more.  

4 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Would like to see it but not going that far for 2 teams I really don't care about...if I was going to go that far I'd go see Liberty christian and EC Glass

Going to check out PM/EMont. Giles might draw EMont next week and PM the week after. Something to do on a Friday night

Bigtime game tonight about as far away as you can go in the state from SWVA.  The Class 3 Phoebus Phantoms, right there with LCA as one of the top 3A teams in Virginia, travels to Chesapeake to play the number one ranked Class 6 team in the state, Oscar Smith.  This game is also on NFHS.  Expect an Oscar Smith win, but Phoebus, mono e mono, libra por libra, is one bad outfit.   A certain website that predicts games says 35-21 in favor of Smith.

24 minutes ago, Stranger danger said:

Going to check out PM/EMont. Giles might draw EMont next week and PM the week after. Something to do on a Friday night

Yeah east mont is a strong candidate to come to pburg next week...maybe Covington or Grayson...not narrows like someone all but guaranteed last week