GW vs Covington

50 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

If it was not Covid, it would be the first time I've seen a team cancel a playoff game for something other than Covid in.....well.......decades.  I'm sure it's happened, but I can't recall one in recent memory.  

well my son told me the reason they were told and im not gonna repeat it but it wasnt covid. began with a C but def not covid, a few of their players supposedly suffered from them from friday. now he maybe wrong, at this point its all speculation. 

22 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

Dude get out? Not because we want to! Call Covington! 

Lol ,Graham knows all about It. the fact GW gets a bye week after ducking teams  and getting two weeks to prepare at the 1 seed is shameful at.best 

9 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

well my son told me the reason they were told and im not gonna repeat it but it wasnt covid. began with a C but def not covid, a few of their players supposedly suffered from them from friday. now he maybe wrong, at this point its all speculation. 

Covington has had issues a couple times already this year . sad situation and unfortunate didn't find out sooner especially if it was c occasions issues should of let know before Monday 

im sure GW would love to move teams up and give 1 seed a bye. my buddy in 1b said for that to happen all teams would have to vote and would need majority to pass. not many coaches would want to start all over mid week. its a big conundrum for sure

9 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

im sure GW would love to move teams up and give 1 seed a bye. my buddy in 1b said for that to happen all teams would have to vote and would need majority to pass. not many coaches would want to start all over mid week. its a big conundrum for sure

I agree most coaches wouldn’t want to change opponents midweek. If it’s not Covid but the other C word, wouldn’t Covington had known that in time to let VHSL know they would be unable to play??? Maybe the answer is no , I’m just asking. 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

I agree most coaches wouldn’t want to change opponents midweek. If it’s not Covid but the other C word, wouldn’t Covington had known that in time to let VHSL know they would be unable to play??? Maybe the answer is no , I’m just asking. 

this seems like a tangled web of crap!!! truth why covington isnt playing my never be known. 

Does anyone honestly believe an extra week will get GW over the hump with Galax? It sucks that it’s this way but the milk is spilt. Hang 50 on them when they come to your place. If they get by Galax then so be it, pretty sure GW didn’t convince Covington to cancel to give them a better shot at winning the region. People taking it personal when the athletes and admin at GW likely are frustrated too. Sure they have gotten an athlete or two back but would they rather house Covington in live action or go watch Galax play to see what they have already seen for a decade. After next a Friday it will forgotten anyway as a side note to an already screwed up season. 

3 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

Does anyone honestly believe an extra week will get GW over the hump with Galax? It sucks that it’s this way but the milk is spilt. Hang 50 on them when they come to your place. If they get by Galax then so be it, pretty sure GW didn’t convince Covington to cancel to give them a better shot at winning the region. People taking it personal when the athletes and admin at GW likely are frustrated too. Sure they have gotten an athlete or two back but would they rather house Covington in live action or go watch Galax play to see what they have already seen for a decade. After next a Friday it will forgotten anyway as a side note to an already screwed up season. 

Well said, my kids play for GW and I can guarantee you we didn't call and ask for this. The kids are pretty upset they lose this game. we are very young and need all the games and reps we can get before playing galax, our big brother. 0-9 over the last 9 with them is pretty frustrating. who knows maybe we can pull a Buster Douglas!!!! fingers crossed. 

2 hours ago, RedPrideNation said:

There is three maybe four people that post on this board that are from Galax and unless I am missing something I hasn't seen anyone from Galax  accusing GW of trying to get another week to prepare to help win the region . if so please show me.

Besides I am pretty sure they had a bye week before Galax in the regular season as well. It is what it is. If you look at my posts this year I have done nothing but spoke highly of GW this year.   Maybe I chose my words poorly when I said "get out of" but was just pointing out the irony didn't think people would get so bent out of shape over it.lol   its been a running joke all year about the Graham game and most of the GW posters have been kidding about it as well. My goodness people need to lighten up! Besides Galax has to get past GC this Friday before even thinking about GW.

The unfortunate part Is this incident has robbed kids of playing time and memories win or lose .

8 hours ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

Well said, my kids play for GW and I can guarantee you we didn't call and ask for this. The kids are pretty upset they lose this game. we are very young and need all the games and reps we can get before playing galax, our big brother. 0-9 over the last 9 with them is pretty frustrating. who knows maybe we can pull a Buster Douglas!!!! fingers crossed. 

My son plays for Galax and they're not thinking about any of this mess, they're are concentrating on Grayson right now and if they get by them then they can think about GW.

10 hours ago, Topper22 said:

Lol ,Graham knows all about It. the fact GW gets a bye week after ducking teams  and getting two weeks to prepare at the 1 seed is shameful at.best 

There's no advantage to having two weeks for us to prepare for Galax when we basically play them twice a year lol! Outside of healing some bumps and bruises, that is, but as one GW poster mentioned, we need reps over rest. We needed them against Graham, we needed them against Bland, and we need them against Covington. 

Trust me....No one around here wanted any of those games cancelled. 

1 hour ago, gwloyal said:

There's no advantage to having two weeks for us to prepare for Galax when we basically play them twice a year lol! Outside of healing some bumps and bruises, that is, but as one GW poster mentioned, we need reps over rest. We needed them against Graham, we needed them against Bland, and we need them against Covington. 

Trust me....No one around here wanted any of those games cancelled. 

I thought they could've played Graham and chose not to but I might be wrong about that. Regardless GW had absolutely nothing to do with Covingtons decision to cancel this game and it could be beneficial by getting some guys healed up or could hurt because lack of reps. As I said before Galax isn't concerned with no one but Grayson right now and if we get by them then we can worry about playing GW. Good luck to all teams playing this week and pray for injury free games.

3 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I thought they could've played Graham and chose not to but I might be wrong about that. Regardless GW had absolutely nothing to do with Covingtons decision to cancel this game and it could be beneficial by getting some guys healed up or could hurt because lack of reps. As I said before Galax isn't concerned with no one but Grayson right now and if we get by them then we can worry about playing GW. Good luck to all teams playing this week and pray for injury free games.

I have no idea what went into all that. I’d be speculating otherwise. I’m merely speaking from myself and most GW’s fans perspectives. 

if we really did “duck” that game, I’d be thoroughly disappointed, but I have no way of knowing how that all went down. But that’s why I don’t get worked up over the running joke. Either people don’t really know or they’re right and we deserve it lol.

15 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I just heard that Galax may be given a bye week which will change the schedules. This sucks due to teams only having two days to prepare. But it is what it is.

Was told a while ago that they voted to leave as is which means GW will get the bye, don't know how true any of this is. 

41 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Was told a while ago that they voted to leave as is which means GW will get the bye, don't know how true any of this is. 

Man I never know anymore. All I know is that there will be a game Friday at Stephen C Ragsdale Field at 7pm. Whether it’s Giles playing East Mont or Virginia Tech there will be a game lol 

On 11/8/2021 at 2:10 PM, VHSLhelper said:

chipinbogey - How many games you end up working this year? 

With all the make-up games the last 2 weeks, I wonder if any of 'em did 4 games.

One friend of mine worked 6 games in on week I believe he said covering Varsity, JV and Middle School.

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I just heard that Galax may be given a bye week which will change the schedules. This sucks due to teams only having two days to prepare. But it is what it is.

I would hate to be the coach who found out he only had a day and a half to prepare for the single wing!!! Which would be Grayson ,I think lol