Any coaching jobs coming open?

TnT+h

11 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Jack Ginn played football at Richlands HS and Emory & Henry and has over 30 years coaching experience.

-Part-time Graduate Assistant: Emory & Henry, 1987  

-Graduate Assistant: University of Illinois 1988-1990

-Assistant Coach/Secondary: Emory & Henry, 1990-1997

-Offensive Coordinator: Wartburg College (Iowa), 1997-2000

-Assistant Coach: Shepherd College (WV), 2001-03

-Head Coach: North Carolina Wesleyan College, 2003-2007

-Assistant Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers: Grand Valley State University (Michigan), 2007-2019 

I am looking forward to seeing what they do on Offense under him. They looked like a youth team with some of the stuff they were trying to do on Offense last year. Football in this area is better when Marion is competitive.

17 hours ago, RoseBowlLegend59 said:

You seem to be a pretty avid Marion supporter, was just curious on your thoughts about this hire? This was the guy I was referring to on one of my previous posts, but am curious as to how you are feeling about it? It appears to be a really good hire, do you think he was the best available? 

I think on paper this is a great hire. This guy had a resume to come in a take whatever job he wanted from all the opening in the area. I really think he will do a great job at Marion if he can hire a good staff around him. This is the first hire that wasnt already on the staff that Marion has gone with in a long long time so we will see how that pays off. Like I said before Marion has the potential to be a sleeping giant with the play makers they have outside hopefully Ginn can give them the push they need to have a great break out year. This senior and junior class deserve to go out on top!

3 hours ago, 276 for the win said:

Am I the only one wondering why a guy with his resume would want to live and coach in Marion?

Family connections to Marion (probably biggest consideration).  Southwest Virginia guy who would have probably returned sooner if the right situation came along.  He was in the process of transitioning away from college football but apparently still had a desire to be directly connected to the game.

Just a very good set of circumstances for both him and Marion, IMO.

Probably worth noting that the principal at Marion is Jack's brother-in-law.  But if anyone wants to be concerned about nepotism, this is a situation that should work out pretty well -- and Mike Davidson would have been crazy not to make use of the personal connection in this case.

Ginn's wife is from Smyth Co. and has family in Marion. The couple has daughter who lives in town as well. As far as coaching at MSHS, he'd have a relatively low stress job for as long as he wanted. Coaches in Smyth generally don't get fired for a lack of wins. Parents will always grumble, but it typically never leads to dismissal. The Canes are coming of a one-win season with a fairly young team, particularly on offense. Approximately 15 of the early-season starters were either true juniors or sophomores. In the short-term, Ginn should have a decent group of kids to work with while rebuilding the program.  

I like this hire! I thought they would take the easy hire and hire within. I hope this doesn't turn out like the Scott Rider situation. Good coach, coming from a big time environment, and the parents run him off. Coach Rider was a good fit for MSHS but he couldn't handle the politics of Marion. Most coaches can't, it's always been a MSHS problem. We shall see!

40 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Ginn’s first order of business is to get ride of that god-awful logo. Scrub it from the books.  

I actually really like their logo but the helmets need to be a different color than the M/flag logo so it doesn't all run together. 

What else would you use to represent a hurricane?  

14 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I actually really like their logo but the helmets need to be a different color than the M/flag logo so it doesn't all run together. 

What else would you use to represent a hurricane?  

A really mean looking goat since that is the mascot. That would mean a whole lot of rebranding for the whole school but smyth county has plenty of money that shouldnt be a big deal at all

5 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

A really mean looking goat since that is the mascot. That would mean a whole lot of rebranding for the whole school but smyth county has plenty of money that shouldnt be a big deal at all

Thats a great idea!   MUCH better than most hurricane logos, like the swirly Carolina uses or the horrible one Miami used for a few years 

2144450200_Hurricane1.png.d61f613478c0c16214760093541db31d.png

732393323_hurricane2.png.ab7862ca3b3637d3b4dca0458b90a953.png

1 minute ago, redtiger said:

Thats a great idea!   MUCH better than most hurricane logos, like the swirly Carolina uses or the horrible one Miami used for a few years 

2144450200_Hurricane1.png.d61f613478c0c16214760093541db31d.png

732393323_hurricane2.png.ab7862ca3b3637d3b4dca0458b90a953.png

As far as hurricane logos go I have always liked what Marion did with the flag. Some people get bent out of shape because a hurricane flag is technically 2 flags but that would be a little too much coming off the back of the M IMO. I like what Tulsa does with the flags

image.png.233e19cd9e89634e9d5d5c3952886b0b.png

but if you really want a change the goat would be the way to go

image.jpeg.0230b39134a6772d8b6160549423806c.jpeg

15 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Do you want to rock this logo if your a high school football player?  

6C1853FD-5F5B-43E4-9946-10E4AD1A3C5D.jpeg

its better than the ones posted above... more creative than just the block M that was used before

It looks like the M melted and then was smeared.  😂 Turn the art department loose and solicit for a redesign.  And for a few years they had this as a red logo on a red helmet.  You couldn’t really see it.

11 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

It looks like the M melted and then was smeared.  😂 Turn the art department loose and solicit for a redesign.

In that picture it kind of does. It is not a good picture of the logo. Everything used at the school actually looks like a flag waving. If you dont outline the flag in white like it is suppose to be then it doesnt look great

24 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

It looks like the M melted and then was smeared.  😂 Turn the art department loose and solicit for a redesign.  And for a few years they had this as a red logo on a red helmet.  You couldn’t really see it.

Need white helmets with the all red logo

4 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

ImageImage

I like Tulsa's alternate helmet from 2018.  

Admin wont let Marion use black.. apparently Chilhowie has a monopoly on that color in Smyth county. That may chance now that the new guy in charge is family 

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

ImageImage

I like Tulsa's alternate helmet from 2018.  

the hurricane flags on black look great but I hate the gloss logos on flat helmets. I basically hate flat helmets all around 

2 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Admin wont let Marion use black.. apparently Chilhowie has a monopoly on that color in Smyth county. That may chance now that the new guy in charge is family 

I always thought Black was a school color for MSHS but they just used it as trim only.  Id have to agree with admin on that if its not a school color, the trend of black out everything is ridiculous. What's the point of school colors if were all trying to look the same?  

1 minute ago, redtiger said:

I always thought Black was a school color for MSHS but they just used it as trim only.  Id have to agree with admin on that if its not a school color, the trend of black out everything is ridiculous. What's the point of school colors if were all trying to look the same?  

Royal blue in Marion's 3rd color

3 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Royal blue in Marion's 3rd color

Then they shouldn't wear Black.  I've never seen any of their uniforms with Royal Blue. Seems like their football team used grey some I'm not a fan of that either, wear your school colors

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

Then they shouldn't wear Black.  I've never seen any of their uniforms with Royal Blue. Seems like their football team used grey some I'm not a fan of that either, wear your school colors

I have vague memories of Marion using some blue.  Of course, I’m fairly old, but I think I remember that.  Could be confusing them with someone else.  When was the last time they used blue?