Any coaching jobs coming open?

TnT+h

6 hours ago, redtiger said:

Thats a great idea!   MUCH better than most hurricane logos, like the swirly Carolina uses or the horrible one Miami used for a few years 

2144450200_Hurricane1.png.d61f613478c0c16214760093541db31d.png

732393323_hurricane2.png.ab7862ca3b3637d3b4dca0458b90a953.png

Hey now! What’s wrong with Carolina’s logo?!? 

25 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I have vague memories of Marion using some blue.  Of course, I’m fairly old, but I think I remember that.  Could be confusing them with someone else.  When was the last time they used blue?

Blue was a secondary/trim color used by Marion in the late'70s/early '80s.  Pretty sure those great basketball teams led by Clarence Hanley played in uniforms that had some royal blue accent stripes.

Fun fact...  In the early 1980s football coach Sonny Hagy had his team change from scarlet jerseys to blue between pregame warmups and the actual kickoff.  Not sure of the reason why and I don't remember the specific opponent, but I do know that happened.

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

Its kind of plain, and wouldn't work well as a helmet logo imo but is infinitely better than that thing Miami used lol

It wouldn’t look bad on a white lid. 

49 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It’s one of the better ones around TBH.

Well, let’s look at the SWD: 

Richlands, Graham and Tazewell are better right off the bat.  Virginia High probably is as well.

M7: Id take Ridgeview, Abingdon and Gate City easily.  So they’d be competing with Union, Lee, Battle and Central.

Any Marion uniform that doesn't feature the arching "CANES" text on the helmet is trying too hard. Red helmet or white helmet, I dont care, they got it right 35 years ago and didn't need to change it. Not the best picture, but it's best I could find:

5a0e5aea7b216.image.jpg?crop=650,366,0,3

I like the new Marion logo in theory, but I think it was a little poorly executed. The flag coming of the edge is kinda difficult to discern. I'm pretty sure the logo is based on a concept logo for Carolina that made its rounds on the internet a few years ago that was a much better execution of the same thing, in my opinion.carolina_hurricanes_johnny_vongriz.png

6 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

Any Marion uniform that doesn't feature the arching "CANES" text on the helmet is trying too hard. Red helmet or white helmet, I dont care, they got it right 35 years ago and didn't need to change it. Not the best picture, but it's best I could find:

I like the new Marion logo in theory, but I think it was a little poorly executed. The flag coming of the edge is kinda difficult to discern. I'm pretty sure the logo is based on a concept logo for Carolina that made its rounds on the internet a few years ago that was a much better execution of the same thing, in my opinion.carolina_hurricanes_johnny_vongriz.png

I like the old ones better.

15 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

I like the old look as well.  Maybe use hurricane flags as small helmet stickers for accomplishments.

I'm a big fan of arched writing or cursive like Tulsa uses.

The M7 overall struggles with logos imo.

Imo Tazewell isn't better than Marion, Graham and Richlands are. Battles is the same style as Richlands unless I'm mistaken but gor whatever reason it works better for Richlands. 

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

Imo Tazewell isn't better than Marion, Graham and Richlands are. Battles is the same style as Richlands unless I'm mistaken but gor whatever reason it works better for Richlands. 

Union and Central’s doesn’t do much for originality.  Union basically adopted the Chicago Bears. Plots and name and bear logo and co-opted the U from Miami.  But it doesn’t look bad.  Central just copied the Cincinnati Reds “C” and called it quits.  John Battle should look to Michigan State for motivation as the “B” doesn’t do much.  Abingdon needs to stick with their script “A” the baseball team uses.  Their Oregon inspired helmets work.  Lee is at least original if not creative.  As for Ridgeview, I actually like the split helmet decal…Wolf on one side and number one the other.  I think the look is very original.

4 hours ago, redtiger said:

Yes, Battle stole Richlands’ font for some reason. As did Rural Retreat. 

Nothing Union uses in any way other than color scheme is a copy of Chicago, but bears and Navy/Orange must be some kind of rule (e.g. Union, Bland, Grainger, etc)

download (1).jpeg

Abingdons script A is sharp.

Centrals C is pretty plain, a lot of teams use that font but combine it with a nod to the school's mascot(I've seen hornets, spears, etc in the C).

The number on one side, logo on the other is really common with college teams.

The Lee logo isn't original, its a ripoff of UVA like just about every team in the state with a calvary connected mascot uses e.g. Lord Botetourt, R.E. Lee Staunton before the name change, Dinwiddie, Jefferson Forest, Carroll County, etc

47 minutes ago, Tru Blue 72 said:

Back to the topic: Does anyone have any word on Honaker?  Have they chosen a coach yet.  I may have missed it, been out of town for a while.

I have not heard a thing. I find it odd that the school that had the most time out of anyone to find a head coach still havnt found one yet. I guess may be a little rusty since this is the first coaching search in almost 4 decades