Any coaching jobs coming open?

TnT+h

1 hour ago, sportsxfan said:

O’Quinn is much bigger, faster, and stronger. He also had much better competition. Nothing against Creasy but it’s not much of an argument for me.

For the rest of us it isn’t yet here we are.  Personal bias is a helluva drug. O’Quinn was selected over Creasy for Region D honors (voted on by the coaches) as well as Kingsport Times and Bristol Herald Courier staff writers.  O’Quinn took a Ridgeview team that not much was expected of (4th in M7) and took them to Region D final where for 2 quarters they put a serious knot in Graham’s throat.

O’Quinn has a stronger arm, is much more of a dual threat and doesn’t have a hitch in his throwing motion.

14 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

I am excited to see if O’quinn can repeat his success. 

He's got all his targets back. Alot of his success came from either chucking it deep to Beavers or throwing a screen to Beavers. Ridgeview struggled to adjust when teams doubled Beavers. Would probably help to move him around in the formation or put him in the slot. Hill came on some towards the end of the season.

30 minutes ago, spyhunter said:

He's got all his targets back. Alot of his success came from either chucking it deep to Beavers or throwing a screen to Beavers. Ridgeview struggled to adjust when teams doubled Beavers. Would probably help to move him around in the formation or put him in the slot. Hill came on some towards the end of the season.

Well,  it would help if they got their coaching and administrative fires put out first.  Lol.  Hearing a lot of rumblings from the Ridge.  It will be an interesting couple of weeks.

12 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Well,  it would help if they got their coaching and administrative fires put out first.  Lol.  Hearing a lot of rumblings from the Ridge.  It will be an interesting couple of weeks.

This is a done deal..I bet after the next board meeting they will set up an interview processes that is “fair”. If you are a coach outside the county. No need to waste your time Coach Stanley has this on lockdown

I am still going with O'Quinn as number 1 in southwest va no one even close to his ability to move, read, and deliver an accurate pass anywhere he wants.  Second best Qb is Pendergraft from Lee county, Lee had no one mainly freshman and sophomore's on the team and he still put up the yards and for another freshman Qb he done awesome a lot of his passes hit players right in the numbers just didn't have many targets that could haul it in.   

13 hours ago, redtiger said:

Thwyre definitely the top 2 but I'd go with O'Quinn. Imo better runner, better deep arm. 2,600 passing yards, and I'm willing to bet way more rushing yds than Creasy. 

the qb from taz hardly ever pushed the ball down the field. he would throw a two yd screen pass and the wr would house it!! 

1 hour ago, Dobb83 said:

the qb from taz hardly ever pushed the ball down the field. he would throw a two yd screen pass and the wr would house it!! 

You can't blame the qb for playing within the offense if teams want to play 10 to 15 yards off the ball throw the short stuff all day 

What does Taz have coming back this season what does the swd look like going into next season 

4 hours ago, Dobb83 said:

You obviously never watched a second of Tazewell football this season.  Considering I watched every second, I can recall maybe 10 “screen passes” thrown the entire season, and all of those were WR screens out of trips.

2 hours ago, Counts said:

You can't blame the qb for playing within the offense if teams want to play 10 to 15 yards off the ball throw the short stuff all day 

What does Taz have coming back this season what does the swd look like going into next season 

Tazewell returns 9 on offense and 7 on defense.  

The 2 on offense (Mills, Mullins) were WRs, and there are a couple of sophomores (who just recently competed at the state indoor meet) who are primed to step into those positions.  The entire OL returns, and there are 2 solid 8th graders that should provide great depth.

The 4 on defense may present sone early season difficulty, but those stepping in did get reps last fall.  

Depending on how Week 1 goes, I’d say 2nd or 3rd in the SWD.

16 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

For the rest of us it isn’t yet here we are.  Personal bias is a helluva drug. O’Quinn was selected over Creasy for Region D honors (voted on by the coaches) as well as Kingsport Times and Bristol Herald Courier staff writers.  O’Quinn took a Ridgeview team that not much was expected of (4th in M7) and took them to Region D final where for 2 quarters they put a serious knot in Graham’s throat.

O’Quinn has a stronger arm, is much more of a dual threat and doesn’t have a hitch in his throwing motion.

There’s no personal bias.  The M7 paint-huffers just discount what Creasy did because Tazewell went 5-6.

(1) You trot out Bristol-area sports reporters voting for O’Quinn over Creasy despite Dickenson County being squarely inside their territory and Tazewell County being on the outer fringe of the territory.  Sure, no bias there…

(2) The M7 has 6 votes, and the SWD has 5 votes on awards.  If you don’t think that bias benefits M7 athletes on receiving awards, I’ve got some beachfront property in Mongolia you might want to take a look at.

(3) Creasy was 13 yards shy of 3,000 for the season, and threw 27 TDs against defenses that dropped 8 into coverage to stop him.  That more than outpaces what O’Quinn did in 2 more games.

(4) Ridgeview played exactly to expectation last season.  They finished globbed in that unbreakable 3-way tie for 2nd, and the bracket broke just right for them.  They needed a miracle to survive a Richlands team that they clobbered earlier that season.  Then they beat a Central team who was a perfect stylistic matchup for them.  

(5) Before accounting for sacks, Creasy rushed for over 900 yards and 11 TDs.  He’s every bit as dual-threat as O’Quinn is.

If Creasy stays healthy, he’ll obliterate the VHSL career passing list.  And M7 folks want to claim he’s the 2nd best QB in SWVA.  Typical M7 homerism (see also: Basketball Forum).  

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

There’s no personal bias.  The M7 paint-huffers just discount what Creasy did because Tazewell went 5-6.

(1) You trot out Bristol-area sports reporters voting for O’Quinn over Creasy despite Dickenson County being squarely inside their territory and Tazewell County being on the outer fringe of the territory.  Sure, no bias there…

(2) The M7 has 6 votes, and the SWD has 5 votes on awards.  If you don’t think that bias benefits M7 athletes on receiving awards, I’ve got some beachfront property in Mongolia you might want to take a look at.

(3) Creasy was 13 yards shy of 3,000 for the season, and threw 27 TDs against defenses that dropped 8 into coverage to stop him.  That more than outpaces what O’Quinn did in 2 more games.

(4) Ridgeview played exactly to expectation last season.  They finished globbed in that unbreakable 3-way tie for 2nd, and the bracket broke just right for them.  They needed a miracle to survive a Richlands team that they clobbered earlier that season.  Then they beat a Central team who was a perfect stylistic matchup for them.  

(5) Before accounting for sacks, Creasy rushed for over 900 yards and 11 TDs.  He’s every bit as dual-threat as O’Quinn is.

If Creasy stays healthy, he’ll obliterate the VHSL career passing list.  And M7 folks want to claim he’s the 2nd best QB in SWVA.  Typical M7 homerism (see also: Basketball Forum).  

You can't help but say stupid stuff. Your Graham boys ONCE AGAIN failed to shown up in a regional final to face Union and somehow it's homerism. How bout Graham actually being there? The SWD went 3-1 against the M7s 3-4. Cool, congrats. Didn't Graham play Abingdon in. Regular season? How'd that one go?

If everyone doesn't immediately agree that a kid from Tazwell is better than any other kid, you get offended bc you're too close to the program. Zero objectivity.

17 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

This is a done deal..I bet after the next board meeting they will set up an interview processes that is “fair”. If you are a coach outside the county. No need to waste your time Coach Stanley has this on lockdown

probably don't have to interview if an internal transfer is happening, many school systems are that way i think.  Oquinn will be fine and probably have a bigger year, coaches dont make athletes, athletes make coaches. coaches are needed but most really good coaches also have really good players

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Creasy was 13 yards shy of 3,000 for the season, and threw 27 TDs against defenses that dropped 8 into coverage to stop him.  That more than outpaces what O’Quinn did in 2 more games.

If he rushed for 900 then he more than doubled O'Quinns rushing total. O'Quinn had 26 passing TDs so that's a wash.

No clue on attempts for either but if like to know, both threw a lot but I imagine Creasy had significantly more attempts as RV attempted a rushing game where T went all in on the passing attack(that suited their talent very well).

1 hour ago, BKFootball said:

Central was not very good at stopping teams that passed the ball a lot except for Tazwell.  They got destroyed by Central defensively  they put up huge yards against teams they should have just like anyone could have. 

Tazewell was soft, Central was very physical. That discripency was very apparent in both playoff games in 2021

Coach Stanley could be a good pick for head coach for Ridgeview.

Ridgeview has got a good passing attack with receivers. If I’m not mistaken coach Stanley was on the old haysi teams that was pass heavy and had great success 

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

You obviously never watched a second of Tazewell football this season.  Considering I watched every second, I can recall maybe 10 “screen passes” thrown the entire season, and all of those were WR screens out of trips.

Those 10 must've all been against Graham then. Because that's mostly what I saw.

35 minutes ago, Travis s said:

Ridgeview has got a good passing attack with receivers. If I’m not mistaken coach Stanley was on the old haysi teams that was pass heavy and had great success 

You could be right..But I was told Tillers Offense surpassed the numbers Colleys QBs put in a season. I was told by one of the Colley QBs that they never had 3 WRs with those catches and a QB with that many yards. No clue. I know a lot of things on the coaches at Ridgeview. And for Tiller and Edwards to still be teaching in the building things should have been worked out

I must apologize......there were not 10 screen passes against Graham. I went back and watched the film.There were zero. But there was a whole slew of 3 yard outs with the occasional 5 yard slant.One completed pass for more than 10 yards in the game. 

1 hour ago, Travis s said:

I think so too. I think it may make Ridgeview more multiple/unpredictable like Haysi used to be under Colley. Ridgeview's inability to run the ball against good teams really hurt them last year I thought.

7 hours ago, HaloSports2 said:

probably don't have to interview if an internal transfer is happening, many school systems are that way i think.  Oquinn will be fine and probably have a bigger year, coaches dont make athletes, athletes make coaches. coaches are needed but most really good coaches also have really good players

I disagree with that.  Look what Robin Dotson is taking to the state championship.   

15 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

You could be right..But I was told Tillers Offense surpassed the numbers Colleys QBs put in a season. I was told by one of the Colley QBs that they never had 3 WRs with those catches and a QB with that many yards. No clue. I know a lot of things on the coaches at Ridgeview. And for Tiller and Edwards to still be teaching in the building things should have been worked out

It didn't seem so but Colley's offenses were always relatively balanced, the mid 90s teams with Compton at QB were the exception. Coach was throwing it around when just about everyone else was in the Wishbone so the perception was he threw the ball a ton, the reality is most of the time Coach threw the ball around 20-25 times a game and some seasons less than that. In his 2 seasons so far as OC Bubba threw the ball at a MUCH more than Colley did.

20 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Love ya man, but I have to disagree with your first two points.  The sports editor for the BHC now is..... Brian Woodson.  Who used to work for..... the Bluefield Daily Telegraph.  

Woodson covers the 3 Tennessee schools the paper covers about 90% of the time.  However, when he does cover the Virginia side, he is 100% Tazewell county.  Mostly Graham... but all Tazewell County.  Hayes is the 1A guy and Gregory is the 2A/Abingdon guy.  I don't see any bias at all and if there was, I think it'd be for the SWD based on who the editor is and where he came from.

I think I saw someone mention earlier in the thread about the Kingsport paper.  The Kingsport paper only covers one SWD team and that's Virginia High.  Only other Virginia schools they cover is the M7 and the Cumberland.  So that's obviously why you don't see much if any SWD players on their all-area team.  I don't recall if there were any but if there were, it was probably only Stevie Thomas or maybe Patrick Poku as well.