Any coaching jobs coming open?

TnT+h

4 minutes ago, redtiger said:

So 7 schools with new HCs in SWVA in one year?   Thats way above average 

not today i dont think so,  with the direction programs are going nobody wants to put the effort in to try and build something back to the glory days,   

27 minutes ago, stantheman said:

not today i dont think so,  with the direction programs are going nobody wants to put the effort in to try and build something back to the glory days,   

The schools administrations are often times not committed to a coach in order to allow them to build something special. I do not necessarily think the amount of openings this year were at the fault of all the coaches who departed. 

High school football programs are far more reliant upon community/booster support than ever before given what school budgets are these days. Especially in our part of the state. Without a robust community support system, coaches don't stand a chance. It's also a "Catch-22" situation. The more community support in terms of dollars being fed into a program leaves administrations fewer options in terms of replacing coaches. The less dollars a coach generates through community support, the harder it becomes to keep his job long-term. In order to have some leverage over administration, a coach needs to show a proven record of financial support from the community. 

3 hours ago, Bulldogs52 said:

When do ya believe Ole Freddie hangs it up?

I have no idea and don't claim to know, but what I do know is that he is setting on a 5 year run of bigtime talent. Had an 8th grader who will be a freshmen that is one of the most talented 8th graders I've seen in this area. I watched him on NFHS and he's unbelievable. Disclaimer-I did Not watch him in person, but only on NFHS, and it's all I needed to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Parry McCluer head coach Jack Baker is leaving after one season for Nelson County. Interesting choice considering Baker had Parry McCluer deep into the playoffs in his first season and Nelson County's continued ineptitude in football. Nelson County is 25-111 since the 2008 season and hasn't had a winning season since 2002. Their last playoff appearance was 1989 and they have never won a playoff football game.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Parry McCluer head coach Jack Baker is leaving after one season for Nelson County. Interesting choice considering Baker had Parry McCluer deep into the playoffs in his first season and Nelson County's continued ineptitude in football. Nelson County is 25-111 since the 2008 season and hasn't had a winning season since 2002. Their last playoff appearance was 1989 and they have never won a playoff football game.

Baker still lives in Rustburg. Much shorter commute and He stated that he was getting a pay raise as well.

2 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Baker still lives in Rustburg. Much shorter commute and He stated that he was getting a pay raise as well.

From Rustburg High School, there is a 10 mile difference to Parry McCluer High School and Nelson County High School. 

I get it, shorter is shorter but it’s not as if he cut his drive in half. Nowhere near it actually. He went from an hour, to 50 minutes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dang…..late in the year for football vacancies…….who would they have a real shot at getting?  Anyone know who’s applied?  I guess an assistant that what’s to make the jump to boss man or an old coach that wants to get back in the game.  Castlewood is a tough place to win consistently.

Lark done a good job at Castlewood. The biggest issue IMO for them coming up is the lack of a feeder system.  Unless something has changed I dont believe they have had a youth program since around 2018 or so.  I have heard of one person the job is most likely going to and if so its an absolutely great hire for the Devils, especially this late in the spring.

Galax is currently advertising open positions for assistant coaches. My understanding is, multiple guys that retired years ago are finally hanging up the coaching gigs as well. Verl Brown, Mark Harmon, John Patterson and possibly Kim Gillespie. The following is the ad that has been placed on several social media outlets as well as that site that shall remain nameless.

Galax high school is looking for football assistant coaches for the varsity football team. Here is a chance to join a great school, Community and football program. Anyone who is interested please apply at https://galaxschools.us/human-resources/ or email Coach Allen at shaneallen@galaxschools.us

38 minutes ago, justwinbaby said:

Mark Palmer is going to be the next Head Coach at Castlewood....They will announce Monday...

Former PH head coach?? I guess that gig in Kentucky wasnt working for him

15 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

It is on the Russell County School Board agenda....I was told he was offered RidgeView...To much pressure for that job.  

2 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

That was the name I was hearing.  Hes the type of person they need at this time.

No Disrespect...But the dude has a ton of losing seasons...One maybe two good ones...And I would like to see how they pay him...Cause I know for a fact what he asked for in Dickenson County was a Pirate's Ransom...Will be interesting to see.  

Ton of losing seasons have turned into championships everywhere he has been

Ervinton he took a team and made them competitive each season, which was virtually impossible

Took over St. Paul, won District Championships

Took over a dumpster fire at Patrick Henry and after 6-34 start, finished with multiple district titles and a region championships and a 13-1 record

Like him or not, guy can coach, and he turns programs around

Sounds like you might be upset at the hire, where you wanting the job? 

35 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

2-18 in his two seasons after inheriting a program coming off an 11-1 season. I don't think it worked for him or Anderson County. 

3 minutes ago, sixcat said:

2-18 in his two seasons after inheriting a program coming off an 11-1 season. I don't think it worked for him or Anderson County. 

They were 4-7 the year before he got there, and if you look back at the 11-1 team that was before reclassification. Now he is in district with Boyle County (2 Time defending state champions), Lexington Catholic, Bourbon County. Little tougher competition. 

Now, I am in no way saying he is the guru of coaches, but he is a good guy and kids love him, and he wins.