Any coaching jobs coming open?

TnT+h

3 minutes ago, f00tba11c0ach said:

They were 4-7 the year before he got there, and if you look back at the 11-1 team that was before reclassification. Now he is in district with Boyle County (2 Time defending state champions), Lexington Catholic, Bourbon County. Little tougher competition. 

Now, I am in no way saying he is the guru of coaches, but he is a good guy and kids love him, and he wins. 

I met him a few times when PH played Galax in the postseason. I have some friends in the Glade area with kids that adored the man. He is a great guy and the community in Glade benefited from having him involved with that program. But SWVA football is quite a world apart from the "Kentucky Catholic League" he was thrust into. No disrespect intended toward him but sometimes the grass isn't always greener.

That first year at Anderson County I watched some of their games online. Talk about mismatches. He got short handed on time with the kids due to CoVid and then they played teams who were way more athletic than they were. Bad combo. 

The talent he had a PH when he got there was.. well not talented at all. Humphery really helped turn that around and even after he graduated that continued to roll. If he can get that same production I can see Castlewood making the play offs in a very weak 1D. 

Overall I really like Mark. He did a lot with FCA when he was at PH and the kids really seemed to buy in to him. I also never saw his teams get a lot of personal fouls or run their mouth too much which says a lot about the culture he was able to build. I wish him the best at Castlewood. If he had got the Ridgeview job that would have probably blown this board up though. 

1 hour ago, justwinbaby said:

It is on the Russell County School Board agenda....I was told he was offered RidgeView...To much pressure for that job.  

He was encouraged to interview for RV, which he declined. Why? who knows, maybe its just not the right fit.

Palmer runs a good program, always has. I said it was a good hire when PH got him and the Rebel faithful cried that he wasn't a good coach and had only coached losers. The man won at Ervinton, St Paul, and PH. Those weren't/aren't powerhouses but he had success. Castlewood will be a solid 1A program in a few years and be a 2nd round playoff team, just give the man time 

Say what you want about losing seasons but I tend to look at how coaches done based on what they have to work with.  When Palmer had a few Jimmys and Joes he won games. When you dont have the better Jimmys and Joes you tend not to win no matter who you are.  Im not saying hes Lombardi, but hes a great person from all interactions I have had with him from HS til now, and wins the games he should and a few that he shouldnt.

1 hour ago, justwinbaby said:

How did it go at St. Paul?

They have at least 1 regional runner up trophy (01) and another playoff appearance or two. Not Earth shattering by any means, but it was St Paul with something like 60 boys in the school. 

Justwinbubba you can look up on the fourseasons website it tells all. It is a great source of info. According to that 2 playoff appearance along with BI with two, Tom Fletcher with 1 and Walt Padgett with one. I could be mistaken but St Paul was not a playoff powerhouse either. Outside of the great teams of BI Salyers I think not bad.

And Kevin Mays just announced Nick Johnson was hired by Wise County last night.  Thomas Walker is now looking for a new HC.

I do wonder if Brett McPherson would have any interest being just across the stateline at Cumberland Gap.  I assume he was in VA long enough to be working toward the retirement option in TN now to supplement the VA retirement.  Cumberland Gap is not an easy place to win at, but the pay is probably better than Lee County but that is just a guess.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

I do wonder if Brett McPherson would have any interest being just across the stateline at Cumberland Gap.  I assume he was in VA long enough to be working toward the retirement option in TN now to supplement the VA retirement.  Cumberland Gap is not an easy place to win at, but the pay is probably better than Lee County but that is just a guess.

I don't know Brett well but I know him well enough. His sister-in-law lives across the street from me. He has always been very loyal to the people who are loyal to him. I don't see him leaving CG so quickly. Unless I am missing something, he has 32 years invested into VRS so that shouldn't be a consideration. He would likely benefit from supplementing his VRS with some years in Tennessee. 

16 hours ago, sixcat said:

I don't know Brett well but I know him well enough. His sister-in-law lives across the street from me. He has always been very loyal to the people who are loyal to him. I don't see him leaving CG so quickly. Unless I am missing something, he has 32 years invested into VRS so that shouldn't be a consideration. He would likely benefit from supplementing his VRS with some years in Tennessee. 

I figured he had enough time in the system but wasn't sure. I believe I had heard he had 0 assistants at CG last year.  That lack of help would burn a person out quick though if I am remembering correctly.  Hes a good coach though and with that time in, I would stay across state lines as well for a few years.

On 5/4/2022 at 7:49 AM, sixcat said:

Galax is currently advertising open positions for assistant coaches. My understanding is, multiple guys that retired years ago are finally hanging up the coaching gigs as well. Verl Brown, Mark Harmon, John Patterson and possibly Kim Gillespie. The following is the ad that has been placed on several social media outlets as well as that site that shall remain nameless.

Galax high school is looking for football assistant coaches for the varsity football team. Here is a chance to join a great school, Community and football program. Anyone who is interested please apply at https://galaxschools.us/human-resources/ or email Coach Allen at shaneallen@galaxschools.us

Happy trails to those guys.  Played against Coach Brown's teams.  That man was always a class act especially.