Any coaching jobs coming open?

TnT+h

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

He has beaten everyone in the region, he has guided the Bears to the state semis , Appomattox has beat us every time , but who have they not . A injury here or there has kept the Bears from making that next step. You know Graham wishes he would go somewhere else

Not really. To be the best you must beat the best. And turner is pretty good.

39 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I'm just pointing out he hasn't really beat anybody that's any good. 

Is this really a factual statement? Let's dig into it, shall we!

• Beat Galax in 2015, the same season Galax won the state championship. 
  • Beat Radford in the playoffs in 2015 after having lost to them to open the season.
  • Beat perennial playoff team Parry McCluer in the 2016 playoffs.
  • Beat Chilhowie in 2017, the same season Chilhowie reached the Class1 state championship game.
  • Beat Narrows in the 2019 playoffs when Narrows was undefeated and the top seed in Region 1C. 
  • Beat perennial playoff team Parry McCluer in the 2019 playoffs.

Sure, he's lost playoff games to Galax, Riverheads, Parry McCluer, Honaker and Sussex Central, but who hasn't?!?!? Those are all quality opponents. George Wythe has arguably been the second most consistent program in Region 1C over the course of his career behind Galax. Galax has been the second most consistent team in Virginia Class 1 behind Riverheads. Not bad company. Besides, who are they going to replace him with?

10 minutes ago, sixcat said:

• Beat Radford in the playoffs in 2015 after having lost to them to open the season.
  • Beat Chilhowie in 2017, the same season Chilhowie reached the Class1 state championship game.
  • Beat Narrows in the 2019 playoffs when Narrows was undefeated and the top seed in Region 1C. 

Sure, he's lost playoff games to Galax, Riverheads, Parry McCluer, Honaker and Sussex Central, but who hasn't?!?!? Those are all quality opponents. George Wythe has arguably been the second most consistent program in Region 1C over the course of his career behind Galax. Galax has been the second most consistent team in Virginia Class 1 behind Riverheads. Not bad company. Besides, who are they going to replace him with?

Did you not read the last two sentences of my comment?

4 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

He has a great record against who? I'm not being smart because I truly don't know but just a quick glance over their schedule it seems he beats the easy opponents and loses to the rest. I may be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Did you not read the last two sentences of my comment?

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The 2015 Galax game is a quality win. So is the 2017 game against Chilhowie. I'm not sold on some of the other wins but that's just a matter of opinion. Like I said earlier does he deserve to lose his job? Probably not. Especially not knowing the outcome of a coaching hire. 

It is high school football unless their is gross safety negligence or a coach commits a crime they should not be fired. I was commenting on accomplishments........and the fact of how good some people think they are! LOL Truth is he wins more than he loses and has his team in the playoffs. Tough beating Galax to advance.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:29 AM, 44cov3 said:

I’m just waiting for the yearly bashing of Harner at GW….every year like clock work they want him out, yet guy has a great record there. Who or what do they want?

As I've said here before, it's not nearly as bad here as what posters on this forum and the other forum would want you to believe. That being said, there's also elements of truth in what they're saying.

I understand critics will point to his record and ask "Why?" It's absolutely a valid question. But point me to one 1A West program not named Galax where he could compile that same record that he has here. You can't. 

Take what they say with a grain of salt, but keep in mind that it isn't all skittles and rainbows, either. 

1 hour ago, gwloyal said:

As I've said here before, it's not nearly as bad here as what posters on this forum and the other forum would want you to believe. That being said, there's also elements of truth in what they're saying.

I understand critics will point to his record and ask "Why?" It's absolutely a valid question. But point me to one 1A West program not named Galax where he could compile that same record that he has here. You can't. 

Take what they say with a grain of salt, but keep in mind that it isn't all skittles and rainbows, either. 

Ummmm Patrick Henry G.S. is 68-23 since 2014 on.....they aren't named Galax and are 1A West. (You asked)

But I understand what you are saying and would say there are ZERO schools where its all skittles and rainbows; there is always going to be a small few he will never be happy no matter what he does at GW.  I don't know him personally nor have a student-athlete at GW but from a football fan I just never understand why every year people are always wanting him gone when you never hear of anything that merits his firing....Once again no one ever throws out a name that could replace him and do as good of job....Nick Saben isn't coming to Wytheville.

4 hours ago, 44cov3 said:

Ummmm Patrick Henry G.S. is 68-23 since 2014 on.....they aren't named Galax and are 1A West. (You asked)

But I understand what you are saying and would say there are ZERO schools where its all skittles and rainbows; there is always going to be a small few he will never be happy no matter what he does at GW.  I don't know him personally nor have a student-athlete at GW but from a football fan I just never understand why every year people are always wanting him gone when you never hear of anything that merits his firing....Once again no one ever throws out a name that could replace him and do as good of job....Nick Saben isn't coming to Wytheville.

Well hell, let's hire PH's coach then lol!

Seriously, I'm not out here calling for his head, and I'm not even one to even worry about who to replace him with until the day comes we part ways. Sure, there are coaches out there I'd love to see here over Harner, but they also currently have jobs, and it's silly to think people are lining up to come here. I was just commenting more in regards to the record being a bit of fool's gold, and that there is a little bit of validity (albeit, blown wildly out of proportion) to what some were saying. Harner does a fine job at winning the games he's supposed to win. But not even Nick Saban gets a pat on the back for beating Vanderbilt, either. 

(FYI I was completely unaware that PH's has put that kind of record up in that 2014. Would have never guessed! Impressive!)

Through sheer dumb luck and networked connections, I’m close with several high ranking school officials at multiple schools in the region.  There will be an unexpected opening that will turn some heads.  It’s about 90% sure and it’s a playoff team.  I don’t expect an announcement for another month or so.  Gents-  I can’t say anymore than that due to circumstances.  Let the speculation begin.  

19 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Through sheer dumb luck and networked connections, I’m close with several high ranking school officials at multiple schools in the region.  There will be an unexpected opening that will turn some heads.  It’s about 90% sure and it’s a playoff team.  I don’t expect an announcement for another month or so.  Gents-  I can’t say anymore than that due to circumstances.  Let the speculation begin.  

No way to know, but if guessing, my mind goes to coaches who would be leaving Because they have done Well, so they would be making a jump UP.  Then, the thought goes to coaches with college connections. Luke Owen's comes to mind.  

On 11/10/2021 at 10:26 AM, CPF said:

Not really. To be the best you must beat the best. And turner is pretty good.

Don’t really have a dog in the hunt but Union isn’t at Graham’s level.  If you didn’t know better by reading this board you would have thought that Union had won a couple state titles or finished runner up a few times.  They haven’t.  Graham is on a 5 year run and before that Richlands was in a 15 year run.  Those two programs are still in a class above the others.  Union is trying to take the next step to join them, but they haven’t.

11 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

No way to know, but if guessing, my mind goes to coaches who would be leaving Because they have done Well, so they would be making a jump UP.  Then, the thought goes to coaches with college connections. Luke Owen's comes to mind.  

Yeah…they’ve done a good job getting the program back to where it used to be.  This isn’t a combined school though.  Though I always wonder if Luke would go back to Grundy?

It will be interesting to see what Richlands does.  Will they keep the guy they got now (can’t remember his name—been there for a while) or do they promote someone up or bring someone in from outside.

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Don’t really have a dog in the hunt but Union isn’t at Graham’s level.  If you didn’t know better by reading this board you would have thought that Union had won a couple state titles or finished runner up a few times.  They haven’t.  Graham is on a 5 year run and before that Richlands was in a 15 year run.  Those two programs are still in a class above the others.  Union is trying to take the next step to join them, but they haven’t.

Graham won a state title the one season in recent memory Appomattox was not in their way. They have the state title Union lacks but I don't see how there's any real gap between the schools. 

2D winners:

2020-Union

2019-Graham

2018-Graham

2017-Union 

2016 was Richlands IIRC and 2015 was Union. Union is 5-3 against Graham H2H. 2-2 in last four. 

SwvaOG, I respect your opinion, but disagree.  I think Union is certainly on the level of Graham and they have surpassed Richlands.  Union just beat Graham roughly 6 or so months ago and probably outplayed Graham a couple months ago.  I think Graham's athleticism helps them or arguably gives them a bit more of advantage at the state level because of the ability to pass and run.   But, I think the Bears are right there, but I would kind of agree on one thing.  Union, even though right there on Graham's level seems to be (keyword- seems to be) in my opinion, a bit further from a state title legitimate chance.  I think that is due to Union's inability to throw it efficiently.  Look man, I'm no coach and don't claim to be, but I have common sense.  Common sense tells me if I'm Union's staff, I'm going to travel for a week somewhere in the United States next summer, and I'm going to study and learn a short-intermediate efficient passing game and I'm going to work in at least SOME of that come next fall.  Turner is always going to be run oriented and that's cool, but man, they've gone so "rightwing" conservative as it relates to the run that it's not funny.  But, I think many are misjudging Abingdon.  Abingdon is LEGIT this year.  Legit as in, they have a very good chance to play in the Class 3 state semifinals.  They are actually that good and I get the vibe that some in the regional area, especially some from Union are viewing Abingdon in the scope of the past.  In the past, they were pretty good, had a good chance to win the game over Union, etc, but for sure, no more than 1 win in the playoffs in Class 3 and their gone.  This isn't the case this year.  This Abingdon team is good enough to win the region.  Christiansburg also right there of course.

BigW, as for Appo not being in Graham's way in 2018.  There's two ways to look at that.  Graham was in Appo's and everyone elses way.  That Graham of 2018, by season's end, was right there and arguably better than, at least equally as good as all of the other Appo title teams in my opinion.  What I'm getting at is, it wouldn't have mattered that year if Appo would have "been on".  They wouldn't have beat that Graham team with Allen and so many other talented kids.  

I think the Region Title Game is Graham vs Union and I think it will be a dogfight.  I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Graham won a state title the one season in recent memory Appomattox was not in their way. They have the state title Union lacks but I don't see how there's any real gap between the schools. 

2D winners:

2020-Union

2019-Graham

2018-Graham

2017-Union 

2016 was Richlands IIRC and 2015 was Union. Union is 5-3 against Graham H2H. 2-2 in last four. 

Graham has a state semis win and following state title win, that's the only difference between Graham and Union.

7 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Graham has a state semis win and folling state title win, that's the only difference between Graham and Union.

I know it's a sour note and Appo fans say otherwise, but I think on a neutral field in 2019, that Graham and Appo game may be much different, and Graham would have had a good chance ot have another state-semi win.  I watched that game and I swear by it (my opinion only) Graham got jobbed down there at Appo.  

8 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

I know it's a sour note and Appo fans say otherwise, but I think on a neutral field in 2019, that Graham and Appo game may be much different, and Graham would have had a good chance ot have another state-semi win.  I watched that game and I swear by it (my opinion only) Graham got jobbed down there at Appo.  

I can't really speak on it, I watched the game on that Facebook live feed which I'm grateful for, but it wasn't great. That was a VERY good Graham team.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Don’t worry guys I got it…..where’s Chris Akers going now…VT?

1 hour ago, redtiger said:

Graham has a state semis win and folling state title win, that's the only difference between Graham and Union.

And missed Appomattox to do it. That's not to denigrate Graham winning a title whatsoever, only using it show how important timing is. Union basketball benefited greatly from timing this past year, as did Graham in 2018. My point was I don't see a significant gap between Graham and Union over the last five or ten years as programs. The state title clearly puts Graham ahead, but I don't see it as a sizable gap. 

1 hour ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Graham beat Graham, not The officials. Graham looked at times to be the better team but just made too many mistakes. I don't remember watching that game thinking the officials were the reason Graham lost as much as Graham making mistakes and Appomattox capitalizing was the reason.