Graham vs Ridgeview Region D Championship

Graham32

44 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Off the top of the head:

Down 14-0 at Union, lost 28-21

Down 14-0 or 17-0 to Bluefield, lost 21-19

Down 17-7 or so at Richlands, won 29-28.

Down 10-0 and 17-7 to Central, won 26-20.

They seem to not generate much on their first 2-3 drives.

Definitely a good sign that RV doesn't lay down and quit when they get behind. 

I honestly don't know much about Ridgeview. Are they overall a young team? I know the QB is a freshman. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

Definitely a good sign that RV doesn't lay down and quit when they get behind. 

I honestly don't know much about Ridgeview. Are they overall a young team? I know the QB is a freshman. 

I think I read a post on one of the threads, maybe even this one that they get a lot of theirs back next year. I'm like you. I don't know much about their capabilities etc. other than Beavers is really good, #13 is tall & can make unbelievable catches, & QB is good. I wonder how their defense will stack up against Graham's offense???

49 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think I read a post on one of the threads, maybe even this one that they get a lot of theirs back next year. I'm like you. I don't know much about their capabilities etc. other than Beavers is really good, #13 is tall & can make unbelievable catches, & QB is good. I wonder how their defense will stack up against Graham's offense???

Good question.  Graham's offense generated 9 touchdowns in the first half against Lee and 7 td's on 7 possessions against Union.  Seems like not only is the defense for Graham playing well, but the offense is doing pretty well also.  It is hard to game plan for Graham because they can hurt you in so many ways.

3 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

I know Ridgeview has speedy and solid WRS and a solid QB. Lots of talk about whether Graham can cover them or not cover them.  I've seen zero talk about the pressure the RV QB will be under when he drops back to throw. You will see some freshmen come out in him and mistakes made in this game. He will not have seen that much pressure and as good of a front 4 all year long, and that includes Abingdon, Union, Central, and Bluefield. I guarantee you that after the game, we will be talking about the immense pressure he was under when he dropped back to throw it.  He hasn't seen anything close to what he will see.

I'm going to lean the other way and say all of that pressure is going to allow him to make some great plays and give momentum to Ridgeview in key time points of the game.

Just now, Hokie777 said:

I'm going to lean the other way and say all of that pressure is going to allow him to make some great plays and give momentum to Ridgeview in key time points of the game.

And that's a fair and respectable take.  RVs QB is special. 

2 minutes ago, Hokie777 said:

How good is Ridgeview's line at giving him time to throw? Graham has a couple of hustlers that can key in on a QB who's not well protected. Ridgeview may have to same on defense coming at our QB for all I know. (Which for the record isn't much, lol; I don't even pretend to be one of the 33 wannabe coaches on here 😂). 

3 hours ago, T8KNDookeez said:

Does Ridgeview do the whole "hold back" thing like a lot of other schools?

Ironically, I feel like if they had held Adkins back this RV team would be a threat to win it all.  They don’t have very talented RBs and it shows in the running game.

For the Graham folks, here is your Ridgeview primer.

Offense: Advanced passing attack.  IMHO, with the exception of Blevins as I haven’t seen him, O’Quin is the best passing QB in SWVA.  He is also a threat to run and isn’t your typical Fr.  The running attack is average at best, use a lot of zone reads…no power.  The WRs are, once again IMHO, the best in SWVA.  Beavers has elite hands and ball skills and more than enough speed and wiggle to do damage.  Hill has been WR and RB and is one of the best athletes on the field for either team.  What makes them dangerous is their other two kids would start for pretty much any team in the region (#5 and #11).  They have very underrated speed.  The Oline is big but they don’t seem to run block well and do an adequate job of pass protection. Graham might exploit this match up.  RV will counter will quick throws.

Defense- Undersized and athletic.  They have an All-State level DL in #62. Kid is a beast and won’t be scared of #78.  I think the #57 is a playmaker at DL as well…but it’s a small front.  The LB’s are led by #13 and #14 and are one of the better units in M7.  The DBs are fine and #7 will probably shadow Bradshaw and #11 is good but I’m not a fan of how deep they play off the ball.

Special teams are average but #7 and #13 can hurt you on returns.  FG kicker could be a liability and Graham will have the kicking advantage.

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Ironically, I feel like if they had held Adkins back this RV team would be a threat to win it all.  They don’t have very talented RBs and it shows in the running game.

I was thinking that myself, had Adkins been with this group they would be really hard to beat. I'm not saying they aren't good the way they are but add him to the mix and watch out.

Hopefully Graham gives their defensive line the game ball. That's who won this game for them without a doubt. Ridgeview started the game great, but once the pressure got too the QB his accuracy dropped significantly. Graham certainly looks the part of a state title team. 

RV should be very good next year. I'd like to see a running game developed somewhere. I know that passing should be the top priority, but to make a run at State they will need to have an effective running game. But this was a very successful season. Not many had them going this far, and by the end of the season were the second best team in the region. Not too bad for a mostly underclassmen team. 

Good luck to Graham and finish it off this year with a title.

2 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Hopefully Graham gives their defensive line the game ball. That's who won this game for them without a doubt. Ridgeview started the game great, but once the pressure got too the QB his accuracy dropped significantly. Graham certainly looks the part of a state title team. 

RV should be very good next year. I'd like to see a running game developed somewhere. I know that passing should be the top priority, but to make a run at State they will need to have an effective running game. But this was a very successful season. Not many had them going this far, and by the end of the season were the second best team in the region. Not too bad for a mostly underclassmen team. 

Good luck to Graham and finish it off this year with a title.

The kickoff return by Beavers that got called back was the turning point in this one.  A chance to go up 21-7.  Tough break and opened the door to numerous mistakes and some questionable decisions and Graham started rolling.   Can someone explain the approach of giving Graham the ball on the 50 each possession?  Horribly thrown 3 yard out that gets pick sixed.  Felt like the Fr QB got “sped-up” during second half.  Kid has to learn to throw the ball away….some pretty bad ball decisions….needs to live another day and just eat the sack sometimes.  RV’s special teams has been average at best this year and today they were awful.  Anyone know why they don’t roll the QB out more?  Move the pocket and not let Graham’s good DL just tee-off?  Good learning experience for the young Wolves…..physically they gave as good as they got.  Graham moves on and we still have several SWVA teams advancing on!

On 11/27/2021 at 11:03 PM, SwvaOG said:

The kickoff return by Beavers that got called back was the turning point in this one.  A chance to go up 21-7.  Tough break and opened the door to numerous mistakes and some questionable decisions and Graham started rolling.   Can someone explain the approach of giving Graham the ball on the 50 each possession?  Horribly thrown 3 yard out that gets pick sixed.  Felt like the Fr QB got “sped-up” during second half.  Kid has to learn to throw the ball away….some pretty bad ball decisions….needs to live another day and just eat the sack sometimes.  RV’s special teams has been average at best this year and today they were awful.  Anyone know why they don’t roll the QB out more?  Move the pocket and not let Graham’s good DL just tee-off?  Good learning experience for the young Wolves…..physically they gave as good as they got.  Graham moves on and we still have several SWVA teams advancing on!

After what you saw Saturday, would you kick to XBT?

As opposed to giving them field positions on the 50?  Yes.  But they didn’t have to do that.  They could have kicked it toward the right and away from Bradshaw.  I would honestly rather kick deep as far as I could than give them a short field every time.

On 11/27/2021 at 11:03 PM, SwvaOG said:

The int wasn’t horribly thrown it was tipped.