should union get a new head coach

tarheel1217

6 minutes ago, SXSW said:

I was at nearly every game on the this list. The two that stick out the most were the 96 game with Brookville, it rained so hard you couldn't see across the field. Shoemaker the QB got a concussion and was the holder on PAT's, he has the biggest hands ever and the backup QB dropped two snap on PAT's and GC lost 13-12. and the 2000 Rustburg semi in a sleet and rain storm had the ball inside the twenty several times and fumbled into the end zone. But what coach Jones did was stabilize things I had several conversations with him at little league games and loved the way he could explain and teach football and make it interesting. He is the DL and OL coach at Westridge in Sullivan County and the OL and DL were dominate this year, just saying. Oh and before Westridge he hung out at DB with Colobro and Christian.

I never knew about Shoe getting a concussion that game.  Had to be targeting in todays game to concuss a QB that tall.

Perfect example of sometimes you need a bunch of breaks to win a state title.  The 96 team was much better than the 97 team but 97 caught the break against Jefferson Forest and  then Broadway was not good at all IMO.  Shouldn't take any shine off of 97s title as they deserved it.

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

@Union_Fanwho hated Phil more, Ragsdale at  Giles or Jimbo at Norto ?you

Phil and Jimbo were actually really good friends. And I don't hate Phil, but he couldn't have done what he did without Barry Jones. Simple as that. I don't give Phil zero credit, but I'm certainly not giving him all the credit.

48 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I never knew about Shoe getting a concussion that game.  Had to be targeting in todays game to concuss a QB that tall.

Perfect example of sometimes you need a bunch of breaks to win a state title.  The 96 team was much better than the 97 team but 97 caught the break against Jefferson Forest and  then Broadway was not good at all IMO.  Shouldn't take any shine off of 97s title as they deserved it.

The miracle FG against Jefferson Forrest (with Anthony Poindexter) was the loudest I ever heard Legion Field. The 97 team was struggling running the ball at the end of the season until a meeting between Colobro, Houseright and Gilbert Smith and they moved Andy Smith to Fullback and put Jake Houseright in the I formation and the rest was history.

5 minutes ago, SXSW said:

The miracle FG against Jefferson Forrest (with Anthony Poindexter) was the loudest I ever heard Legion Field. The 97 team was struggling running the ball at the end of the season until a meeting between Colobro, Houseright and Gilbert Smith and they moved Andy Smith to Fullback and put Jake Houseright in the I formation and the rest was history.

Poindexter graduated in 94 he wasn't on that JF team.

45 minutes ago, SXSW said:

The duck that flew just high enough.  After Appy put us out the week before I attended both of those GC games.  The JF game was just crazy.  Not a lot of flash out of that bunch but a ton of grit by that GC bunch.

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

1983 was His first season. Can you really faulty any coach for not winning it all in year one? I do agree w ith  you, with Forty Jackson they were prob the best team. But was that really on his ego or him being first year at PV?

1986, I am inclined to agree. Before my time but most PV believe they were way better than Garden.

1993, it was the elements that beat PV. Mud slowed down their rushing attack. And why would you ever fault Phil for getting TJ involved? He has 10,000 career NFL rushing yards, he deserved some carries even as a sophomore behind Bishop. You kinda took a shot at TJs character and that I won't stand for. Ask anyone in BSG, TJ was one of the nicest, most humble hard working players in VA history. His character is above reproach. Greg Bihsop was a very good RB, but he wasn't Thomas freaking Jones dude. 

You asked for seasons were Phil could have done better but he didn't because of the Offense or his play calling and I gave them to you.
1983 was his first year at PV but not as a coach

1993 was lost due to the inadequate offensive scheme and special teams. The PV defense in the Haysi game dominated the whole game.  It was not a dig at TJ........What offense did PV run from 1983 to 1992.......the I formation....1993 he runs a double wing......low and behold 1994 PV is running the I again. He changed his offense when he didn't need to. Right Bishop wasn't recruited like Jones .....but he was a dang good back who rushed for 1440 yrds the previous season and was on the All State team. 

Yes Phil was a good coach.....but I don't think Barry Jones got the recognition for helping get those wins. Maybe it was coincidence that after Barry left no more state titles were won. 

You are correct we played against him in 94. the years and teams and games run together! 

1 hour ago, PV8 said:

Poindexter graduated in 94 he wasn't on that JF team.

55 minutes ago, foosballer said:

You asked for seasons were Phil could have done better but he didn't because of the Offense or his play calling and I gave them to you.
1983 was his first year at PV but not as a coach

1993 was lost due to the inadequate offensive scheme and special teams. The PV defense in the Haysi game dominated the whole game.  It was not a dig at TJ........What offense did PV run from 1983 to 1992.......the I formation....1993 he runs a double wing......low and behold 1994 PV is running the I again. He changed his offense when he didn't need to. Right Bishop wasn't recruited like Jones .....but he was a dang good back who rushed for 1440 yrds the previous season and was on the All State team. 

Yes Phil was a good coach.....but I don't think Barry Jones got the recognition for helping get those wins. Maybe it was coincidence that after Barry left no more state titles were won. 

For all the dislike of Phil Robbins, I do know he wasn’t the first choice for head coach. They wanted Bobby Meade and he turned them down. 

2 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

For all the dislike of Phil Robbins, I do know he wasn’t the first choice for head coach. They wanted Bobby Meade and he turned them down. 

Yep, and Bobby Meade regretted it too. Any clue where he's at now?

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

Well, that's interesting! haha

I remember seeing it in the paper and thinking the same thing. It was a better idea for Bobby to stay at Clintwood in the long run. The a Clintwood job is a lot like the Steelers. You don’t get fired for a couple of bad seasons. At PV, I’m not so sure it would’ve worked out.

I see the combo of Phil Robbins and Barry Jones somewhat analogous to Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus. Powell Valley football, like Hendrick Motorsports, was already at the top. Robbins and Johnson both win 7 championships but neither would've been as successful without their "Crew Chief" or the groundwork laid by those who came before them.

Be careful what you wish for....

1.  Phil had two NFL tailbacks.  Not  one but TWO!   Granted he was smart enough to give them the football.  

2.  He also had several and I mean several D 1 athletes on those teams.  Is anyone saying he wasn't a good coach?  No I am not. 

3.  Just curious about what Phil's records were before he got to Powell Valley?  Go ahead and check that stat.  Plus, PV had a state title under their belt with James B.  The groundwork had already been established. 

12 minutes ago, falconfan1 said:

Be careful what you wish for....

1.  Phil had two NFL tailbacks.  Not  one but TWO!   Granted he was smart enough to give them the football.  

2.  He also had several and I mean several D 1 athletes on those teams.  Is anyone saying he wasn't a good coach?  No I am not. 

3.  Just curious about what Phil's records were before he got to Powell Valley?  Go ahead and check that stat.  Plus, PV had a state title under their belt with James B.  The groundwork had already been established. 

Robbins, 15-39 and 2 ties at John Battle  Went 32-29 at Christiansburg.  Overall record before going to Powell Valley, 47 wins, 68 losses, and 2 ties.

Phil Robbins Coaching Record (40 seasons): 307-151-4 (.670)

1971-76 (6 seasons) John Battle 15-42-3 (.263)

1977-81 (6 seasons) Christiansburg 32-28-1 (.533)

1982-2010 (28 seasons) Powell Valley 260-81-0 (.762)

Sources: VHSL Book of Records; fourseasonsfoootball.com 

Some people deny Phil’s obvious aptitude. 

If the team and assistants do not buy in then forget about it. The athletes, especially the ones with enormous talent, bought into Phil’s coaching plan. 

He was able to develop the talent. 

Sure he had the talent but if you have some dunderhead like say Alexandria Ocasio Cortez then it doesn’t matter. 

38 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

Some people deny Phil’s obvious aptitude. 

If the team and assistants do not buy in then forget about it. The athletes, especially the ones with enormous talent, bought into Phil’s coaching plan. 

He was able to develop the talent. 

Sure he had the talent but if you have some dunderhead like say Alexandria Ocasio Cortez then it doesn’t matter. 

Don’t talk bad about AOC. You might get sentenced to watching MSNBC for a straight hour in prime time.

I’ve always heard that Barry Jones was the best football guy there. But you need a head coach who can deal with the community. Kevin Saunders was a good coach at JJ Kelly but he ended up slugging a parent (who probably deserved it) and getting run out of town. 

8 hours ago, redtiger said:

No, it was Haysi that beat them. 

You're trying to say that the elements (which really werent that bad, especially compared to the next week vs Giles) hurt PVs rushing offense more than Haysis? Both of those teams threw the ball around quite a bit.  Come on man.

You're right, that was unfair of me. 

6 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Phil and Jimbo were actually really good friends. And I don't hate Phil, but he couldn't have done what he did without Barry Jones. Simple as that. I don't give Phil zero credit, but I'm certainly not giving him all the credit.

I was trying to make a joke. Ragsdale despised him but Jimbo was his closest ally in the LPD

43 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I was trying to make a joke. Ragsdale despised him but Jimbo was his closest ally in the LPD

He sucked up a lot to Rick Mullins when Clintwood began its run in 07.  But Clintwood never has the hatred for Robbins like a lot of the other towns around here. Plus he and Tom Turner, never run the score up when they had the opportunities. At least against us. I know they both let Kelly and Coeburn have it a few times. 

7 hours ago, SXSW said:

6 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

The duck that flew just high enough.  After Appy put us out the week before I attended both of those GC games.  The JF game was just crazy.  Not a lot of flash out of that bunch but a ton of grit by that GC bunch.

I was at the "Wounded Duck Game" pulling for GC, but I was sitting in the JF section and had a perfect view of the kick. It's as if Newton's laws of motion momentarily ceased to exist.