should union get a new head coach

tarheel1217

17 hours ago, foosballer said:

Maybe a new reality show......call it Coach Swap. Swap Turner and Palmer and see how the seasons go next year 🙂 

Palmer would win a title and Turner would lose in the second round of the playoffs. Union is fast becoming the Dobyns Bennett of Southwest Virginia, great regular seasons and crushing disappointment in the post season! Sometimes pressure situations aren't good for certain teams....ask Kirby Smart! 

7 hours ago, SXSW said:

Palmer would win a title and Turner would lose in the second round of the playoffs. Union is fast becoming the Dobyns Bennett of Southwest Virginia, great regular seasons and crushing disappointment in the post season! Sometimes pressure situations aren't good for certain teams....ask Kirby Smart! 

Crushing disappointments? Aside from 2017 (when Union smashed Graham 37-0), when would someone say Union underachieved? They won 2D last year with a team that had two losses in six games. Even with two losses this year, Turner is still 5-4 against Graham and 4-4 against Tony Palmer. I think the only years Union underachieved were 2015 and 2017, and 2017 wasn't as much underachieving as just losing a razor close game to the eventual state champs. I feel like they were the best team so I think it's an ubderachievement but there's no shame in losing to that Appomattox team by three.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Crushing disappointments? Aside from 2017 (when Union smashed Graham 37-0), when would someone say Union underachieved? They won 2D last year with a team that had two losses in six games. Even with two losses this year, Turner is still 5-4 against Graham and 4-4 against Tony Palmer. I think the only years Union underachieved were 2015 and 2017, and 2017 wasn't as much underachieving as just losing a razor close game to the eventual state champs. I feel like they were the best team so I think it's an ubderachievement but there's no shame in losing to that Appomattox team by three.

2012 - clearly better than SD, but turnovers and miscues cost them the game.

2013 - lost to a GC team they beat by 3 TDs in the regular season. GC got better, Union got worse. No injuries to blame that on.

2014 - 8 turnovers if I remember correctly and only lost 19-9 to eventual champ Glenvar. We were definitely good enough to win that game.

You already mentioned 2015 and 2017.

This year - No shame in losing to Graham, but the underachieving came in the score. Also, the lack of effort against Central.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

2013 - lost to a GC team they beat by 3 TDs in the regular season. GC got better, Union got worse. No injuries to blame that on.

2014 - 8 turnovers if I remember correctly and only lost 19-9 to eventual champ Glenvar. We were definitely good enough to win that game.

This year - No shame in losing to Graham, but the underachieving came in the score. Also, the lack of effort against Central.

Those were games Union was capable of winning but I'm not sure it's fair to put the underachieving label on those years. 

2012 was a 7-3 team that won a road playoff game at Graham and then lost a close game to Draft. I don't think many people had Union as a state title threat that year so I'm not sure that's underachieving as much as losing a close game. 

2013, that GC loss is puzzling for sure, hard to believe GC got that much better but again, did people really peg them as a contender in the preseason? 8-2 and won a playoff game. You could probably say they should have won one more playoff game but I think that was about the ceiling. 

2014 was a good team but they lost to GC by 30 and Marion by four TDs. To even play Glenvar that close was a surprise. I don't think anyone thought they should beat Glenvar.

To me, underachieving is when a team has legit title aspirations and loses to an inferior team because they didn't play well. I think 2015 fits the criteria and is probably the year I think Union truly underachieved. Even 2017 wasn't as much underachieving as it was playing one bad half at the worst time. Any time you're one of the last four teams standing and you lose a three point game, you coulda won it all. That 2017 game hurt the most, I feel like it was their year, but they didn't totally lay an egg like in 2015.

I think it's fair to say in recent years Union overachieved, no one expected much in the spring but they managed to win 2D. In other years, it feels like they lost to a better team in the playoffs, so I'm not sure I can slap the underachieving label on it. 

It's totally fair to say Union has had some bad performances in some games and didn't play up to their potential, but in my eyes for a season to be a disappointment, it's falling short of a realistic goal and to me, 2015 and to a lesser extent 2017 fit the bill but that's probably all. May be I have lesser expectations than some going into the seasons so I'm more lenient in my views.

5 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Those were games Union was capable of winning but I'm not sure it's fair to put the underachieving label on those years. 

2012 was a 7-3 team that won a road playoff game at Graham and then lost a close game to Draft. I don't think many people had Union as a state title threat that year so I'm not sure that's underachieving as much as losing a close game. 

2013, that GC loss is puzzling for sure, hard to believe GC got that much better but again, did people really peg them as a contender in the preseason? 8-2 and won a playoff game. You could probably say they should have won one more playoff game but I think that was about the ceiling. 

2014 was a good team but they lost to GC by 30 and Marion by four TDs. To even play Glenvar that close was a surprise. I don't think anyone thought they should beat Glenvar.

To me, underachieving is when a team has legit title aspirations and loses to an inferior team because they didn't play well. I think 2015 fits the criteria and is probably the year I think Union truly underachieved. Even 2017 wasn't as much underachieving as it was playing one bad half at the worst time. Any time you're one of the last four teams standing and you lose a three point game, you coulda won it all. That 2017 game hurt the most, I feel like it was their year, but they didn't totally lay an egg like in 2015.

I think it's fair to say in recent years Union overachieved, no one expected much in the spring but they managed to win 2D. In other years, it feels like they lost to a better team in the playoffs, so I'm not sure I can slap the underachieving label on it. 

It's totally fair to say Union has had some bad performances in some games and didn't play up to their potential, but in my eyes for a season to be a disappointment, it's falling short of a realistic goal and to me, 2015 and to a lesser extent 2017 fit the bill but that's probably all. May be I have lesser expectations than some going into the seasons so I'm more lenient in my views.

They definitely overachieved in the Spring. Really great job!

Underachieving, to me, means your season ended earlier than it should have. Losing to a team that you should have beaten.

2013 returned virtually every player from a solid 2012 team, with 20 something seniors. Should have beaten GC and would have matched up well with Buckingham Co the following week, at The Park, but oh well.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

They definitely overachieved in the Spring. Really great job!

Underachieving, to me, means your season ended earlier than it should have. Losing to a team that you should have beaten.

2013 returned virtually every player from a solid 2012 team, with 20 something seniors. Should have beaten GC and would have matched up well with Buckingham Co the following week, at The Park, but oh well.

Makes sense. I tend to agree on 2013, losing to GC was mind boggling since they handled GC with ease in regular season. Both Draft losses were winnable games but Draft was a good team, that lost to GC just made very little sense. 

8 hours ago, goose111874 said:

That 2013 Gate City team we beat in regular season had some suspended players if I remember correctly.  They were back for playoffs

They were suspended the week before against Bluefield. Might have hurt their flow against us, but I think they played.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:15 AM, SXSW said:

About like Gate City in 96, 99-02, 08-09, 14?

20 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Strange that Gate City fans mention crushing disappointment in the playoffs. They know pretty well about that issue. 

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm not familiar with the others, but that 2014 team had lots of talent. They were plenty good enough to win a state title.

96 was loaded. Their only blemish was state semis against Brookville where they lost 13-12. 

99, 10-0, lost to Brookville in state semis. 

00, 10-0, lost to Rustburg in state semis. 

01, 8-2, dropping opener to Richlands 28-0, losing 41-35 to PV. They avenged the PV loss in the playoffs and lost 17-3 to Floyd County in state semis. 

02, 10-0, dropped state semis against George Wythe. 

08 and 09 they went 8-2 and 9-1 respectively and lost to Lebanon in second round of playoffs both seasons. 

On 12/10/2021 at 4:00 PM, Union_Fan said:

Just had to bring up that 2014 game.  A little inside info on that game, I was told a certain someone who had alot of turnovers that day had tickets to a VT game and wanted game to hurry and end so he didn't miss the kickoff

40 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Just had to bring up that 2014 game.  A little inside info on that game, I was told a certain someone who had alot of turnovers that day had tickets to a VT game and wanted game to hurry and end so he didn't miss the kickoff

Probably the same one I was told wanted to start basketball season.