VT vs UVA and Coaching Search

44cov3

VT has waited too long....with ND and Oklahoma open; VT is number 3 on the list.  They claim they want to win a Championship....that "ship" cost money and a quick move when the job opens; cant wait around for these other jobs to open.  One name I never hear getting thrown around for HC jobs is Clemson DC Brent Venables (well I just read heads a top guy for OK).  You don't always have to go after an offensive guy or QB whisperer.

1 hour ago, 44cov3 said:

VT has waited too long....with ND and Oklahoma open; VT is number 3 on the list.  They claim they want to win a Championship....that "ship" cost money and a quick move when the job opens; cant wait around for these other jobs to open.  One name I never hear getting thrown around for HC jobs is Clemson DC Brent Venables (well I just read heads a top guy for OK).  You don't always have to go after an offensive guy or QB whisperer.

I think VT was very close with Napier and then Florida came open and he shifted to that job. And then there were reports that VT was in talks with Campbell and then Oklahoma came open and it’s cooled some. 

The Notre Dame job is already decided. It will be Marcus Freeman elevated to head coach. Pete Sampson (longtime Notre Dame beat writer for The Athletic) has already reported this to be the reason why and "interim" hasn't been named. No need to name an "interim" when the next head coach is already on staff.

The day after the Syracuse game I shared the opinion with some buddies of mine that Fuente was gone.  Given Tech's relative financial situation within the larger world of college athletics, I speculated that the new coach would be a "budget hire" along the lines of a position coach at an SEC or Big 10 school or a really sharp FCS coach.  If it winds up being Brent Pry, then I think that's a slight step up from what I expected.

If one were to think of "big time" college athletics as a swimming pool, Virginia Tech is currently splashing around in the very shallow end with little prospects of being able to venture out into the deeper water.