Question about Liberty Christian...

Melvin

....When did the VHSL start allowing private schools to participate in the playoffs? Looking over their schedule, I'd guess Abingdon (or Abintun, as mamaw used to say) is a big underdog. I've lived out of state for 30 years now, but I thought the VHSL didn't allow the privates to participate in the playoffs. 

All I gotta say is that if LCA wins which they likely will, Abingdon shouldn’t hang there heads. LCA should not be allowed to compete in the VHSL. We had to play North Cross this season which had 6 players on there team that weren’t even from the US. Luckily they’re not part of VHSL because they would’ve won state in 1-4A with ease. It’s honestly like playing a small college team

Liberty Christian Academy filed an anti-trust lawsuit against the VHSL which was settled in 2015. LCA was initially placed in Class 4 beginning in the 2015-16 season before dropping down to Class 3 in 2019-20. According to a VHSL May 2015 press release, LCA would have to adhere to all rules and guidelines subject to a VHSL institution as outlined in the paragraph below.

“Any private school that joins the VHSL must meet the same individual participant eligibility requirements and regulations as public school students currently meet with minor changes and adjustments.  Specifically, the transfer rules apply whenever a student transfers from one member school to another, but do not apply when a student transferring to a member private school attended a non-member school (to include home school, out-of-state, and non-member private school) for at least the previous year.  Member private schools have the option of adopting the public school attendance zone where their campus is located or adding one additional contiguous attendance zone and being subject to a multiplier for the playoffs.  LCA will use the Lynchburg City attendance zones (Heritage and E.C. Glass High Schools) with a multiplier of 1.5 on LCA’s high school enrollment number to set its classification.  Single gender private schools that join the VHSL will have their enrollment doubled for classification purposes.  VHSL amended its rules to make competitions with non-member private schools count the same as those against member public schools in its football rating system that determines seeding for football playoffs starting in the fall of 2015.”

While I stand whole heartedly behind what this school stands for I do feel it’s an injustice they way they do their sports. Fully support a partner wanting send their kid there for a Christian education but when a lot of these kids are god athletes is when it starts to get fishy to me.

I could go into more but don’t feel like starting my morning off like that. Lol

Money talks and LCA has it. They let the VHSL know they would tie them up in court until they had put them into bankruptcy is the simple truth of it. Since they are a private institution they can hold info back preventing anyone of showing positive proof of allegations which would jepardize their eligibility under the VHSL rules unlike a public school. Proof of my above statement just look at what is happening with the current lawsuits against LU for their handling of rape and discrimination. LU will win those suits with non disclosure settlements before it's over to keep everything possible out of the public eye further tarnishing their reputation. Sure LU and LCA are two different animals on paper but are they really? 

3 hours ago, BoBob said:

While I stand whole heartedly behind what this school stands for I do feel it’s an injustice they way they do their sports. Fully support a partner wanting send their kid there for a Christian education but when a lot of these kids are god athletes is when it starts to get fishy to me.

I could go into more but don’t feel like starting my morning off like that. Lol

I am not familiar with LCA, but if its basically run by Liberty, I cant say it would give me a warm fuzzy feeling about how it is ran.  The theory of Liberty is excellent.  The application of Liberty is another story.

A couple of things here. This is kind of like allowing Oak Hill to compete in VHSL in basketball ,imagine that . The playing field will never be equal .

as far as LU , they have issue like all universities . Although my Daughter will be graduating this semester from LU and I have   been extremely impressed with the school, faculty and the facilities are amazing. The atmosphere is light years ahead of most major universities when it comes to student experience. She has gotten the chance to listen to and meet some very influential speakers such as Colin Powell ,Condelesa Rice, Trump, Tim Tebow, Herm Edwards to name a few. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Liberty, LCA, the Falwell family, are nothing more than a corrupt house of cards making millions from the faith of others. And people have bought into it hook, line, and sinker!!!

I'll take Liberty versus the University of San Francisco any day and all day.   Liberty is much more than the Falwells.  A Church is much more than one or two bad apples in it.  Personally, I'm not a fan of Falwell, but I think as a University, Liberty produces far more good by a whole lot than it does bad.  

There are a shi*ton of problems in our country.  Christian Universities and/or schools aren't one of em, and if they are, then they are a lot less of a problem than the shi* we have in our society that is attempting to tear apart a ton of institutions because at their core, they hate God.   As for LCA competing with the public schools, it's a joke and they shouldn't be allowed to do it unless the VHSL makes them compete 2 classes higher than where their numbers are to offset the advantage they have in the ability to literally recruit.

3 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Liberty University was founded by Jerry Falwell as a way to avoid paying taxes. The premise of the place was founded on corruption. 

To each their own. It’s not a place for me or mine!!!

So. I have several legal financial arrangements set up to pay less or no taxes. Nothing corrupt about that.

3 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

So. I have several legal financial arrangements set up to pay less or no taxes. Nothing corrupt about that.

I think you should listen to “The Liberty Way” podcast series. Your set-up may be legal. The Falwell’s set-up wasn’t and they were punished as a result. Albeit, lightly. 

Then again, all church organizations should pay taxes!!!

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Liberty University was founded by Jerry Falwell as a way to avoid paying taxes. The premise of the place was founded on corruption. 

To each their own. It’s not a place for me or mine!!!

Agree on Falwell. Me....no likey, father or son.  Never did.

Whats the problem with LCA? I read this and I can't figure out the issue. Yes they are private and yes they sued the VHSL and the VHSL knew they could not win the lawsuit, There was a special called meeting. LCA were doing the things that private schools do all across the state. VHSL could not justify keeping them out by law so they joined. Have they won a football state championship since? The same thing is happening across the nation with private schools. DOesn't Tennessee let the private schools compete?

Some states let private schools compete. Some don't. Personally I think that they have no business competing in public school leagues. Apples and Oranges as far as rules go for enrollment. However I do like private schools and if I had the money and the opportunity I would seriously consider putting my child in private school. 

1 hour ago, swvafbrespect said:

Whats the problem with LCA? I read this and I can't figure out the issue. Yes they are private and yes they sued the VHSL and the VHSL knew they could not win the lawsuit, There was a special called meeting. LCA were doing the things that private schools do all across the state. VHSL could not justify keeping them out by law so they joined. Have they won a football state championship since? The same thing is happening across the nation with private schools. DOesn't Tennessee let the private schools compete?

No problem with LCA.  Class act school in my opinion doing great work, but they have an advantage compared to public schools of the same size.  They have the ability to literally recruit players at a rate that is better/not on the same playing terms as public schools.  So, if they are going to compete with public schools, they should have to give up some kind of an advantage they have, or to put it better, the public schools should get some kind of advantage to counteract the one a school like LCA has.  In my opinion, that should mean making them play at least 1 level, maybe 2 levels higher in classification.  

Here's another solution.  If your a private school and your competing with public schools, then not one of your student athletes is allowed a tuition break, and you have to pay full tuition like every other student if you want to compete with public schools.  This immediately takes away about 90 percent of the recruiting advantage.

2 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

No, Tennessee has separate divisions for the privates. Down here in Florida they don't, and the lower divisions are dominated by the privates. St Thomas Aquinas even dominates class 7A, but really from 4A on down, the privates are the teams to beat. You'll have a public program like Cocoa or BT Washington in 4A who will make a run, but they will usually meet somebody like The Bolles School or Cardinal Gibbons in the finals.

15 hours ago, Melvin said:

No, Tennessee has separate divisions for the privates. Down here in Florida they don't, and the lower divisions are dominated by the privates. St Thomas Aquinas even dominates class 7A, but really from 4A on down, the privates are the teams to beat. You'll have a public program like Cocoa or BT Washington in 4A who will make a run, but they will usually meet somebody like The Bolles School or Cardinal Gibbons in the finals.

Tennessee does have a separate division for the privates. The split that they have today all started with the TSSAA fined and placed on probation Brentwood Academy for recruiting and Brentwood sued and the case went all the way to the Supreme Court. Brentwood Academy was the prominent large football power in Tennessee from the time the school opened in 1969, they won 9 3A titles (the largest classification at the time) between 1969 and 1997. The split came 21 years ago for the schools that offer financial aid and the rest of the private schools left to form their own division in 2018. TSSAA labels it D2. and has three classes (1A-3A) and gave Tennessee a total of 9 State Champions. Football is the only sport that is split into more the 3 Classes, everything else is a three class system. There are rumbling that the TSSAA want to go back to a 4 or 5 class format in the future, which will probably happen! 

I say that I have the utmost respect for Dr Falwell.  He was such a people person and his love for the kids of that university was evident to anyone who crossed paths with him.  He would routinely been seen with the kids, whether it was at sporting events, chapel, or just driving up the roads on campus swerving hi big SUV at the blowing that loud horn.  you could see he belly laughing when he knew he startled you good.  I've been on the receiving end of good punch in the side only to turn around to see him blaming his wife for hitting me.  He was a man of faith who stuck his neck out to try to accomplish what he felt the Lord had called him to do.  Most people who ever met him knew he wasn't what the media tried to paint him to be. 

Jerry Jr...... never really had a good feeling about him 

Jonathan seems down to earth and has the same heart for people his dad did. 

7 hours ago, SXSW said:

Tennessee does have a separate division for the privates. The split that they have today all started with the TSSAA fined and placed on probation Brentwood Academy for recruiting and Brentwood sued and the case went all the way to the Supreme Court. Brentwood Academy was the prominent large football power in Tennessee from the time the school opened in 1969, they won 9 3A titles (the largest classification at the time) between 1969 and 1997. The split came 21 years ago for the schools that offer financial aid and the rest of the private schools left to form their own division in 2018. TSSAA labels it D2. and has three classes (1A-3A) and gave Tennessee a total of 9 State Champions. Football is the only sport that is split into more the 3 Classes, everything else is a three class system. There are rumbling that the TSSAA want to go back to a 4 or 5 class format in the future, which will probably happen! 

I think 5 classes would suffice in Tennessee. Maybe even 4. There are only 12 schools with enrollments of over 2K. In contrast, Florida has 149 schools with enrollments of over 2K, including 19 over 3K, and 5 of those being over 4K. Cypress Bay in Weston has nearly 5K.