Holston/Galax

Gridiron60

3 weeks ago I would’ve said Galax by 17+ but now I’m not so sure. Holston’s last two wins have changed how I feel about them and I no longer think that GW, Giles, or PM could have beat them. Galax made a lot of mistakes against PM and if they do that next week they might be in trouble. If Galax can play good disciplined ball I think they’ll win by 10. I’m not familiar with Holston’s offense. If they can throw the ball well they have a shot. 

Galax has been very solid on defense but the offense has been a little off the last couple of weeks, the QB was off on Saturday but he is good and i think he'll bounce back and have a good game this week. When Galax wasn't hurting themselves with mistakes they moved the ball pretty well against the much bigger PM team. Galax won't see the size again this week but I'd say much faster players so we need to out physical them at the point of attack. This will be the best defense Galax has seen in a while so they have to clean things up and play up to their capabilities. With all that being said I do believe this will be the best defense Holston has seen this year and the most physical team they have faced. I'm looking for tough game for both teams and I'm hoping Galax can get the win.

Galax started seemingly every possession 1st and 20 in the second half yesterday. Followed that up with losing 10 yards to penalties for every 20 they gained throughout each possession. They can get away with that against weaker competition but as the playoffs progress, better teams punish and capitalize off those errors. 

The Galax defense is suffocating. They don’t seem to make mistakes on the defensive side of the ball. But the offense is off schedule and out of rhythm way too often for this late in the season. 

I was very disappointed yesterday when leaving the game at the offense but extremely impressed by the defense . Holding the big guy to 18 total yards and the whole team to negative 6 yards rushing and 88 total yards was extremely good effort . Someone posted on the other board that the Roanoke times said PM only had 3 first downs and two was from penalties. That’s a great defensive effort. 

After watching it on NFHS I felt differently . First give PM credit in D they had great pass coverage all day and someone said it was their weakness , they covered us better than anyones else did all year besides Graham. 
Sixcat is right . The penalties killed us in long sustained drives and we was constantly 1 and 20 or more. That’s tuff to overcome against a defense as good as PM.  Galax Will have to clean it up as Holston D is fast. 

But as the announcers for Holston Stated on NFHS Friday night and some of their fans stated at the game yesterday Galax should just stay at home as they are already playing in Salem in two weeks.

Roanoke Times this morning stated PM had 3 total first downs, 2 from penalties, negative 6 yards rushing, 88 yards passing and 82 total yards. 53 of the passing yards came on one play when the Galax defender fell down. 42 offensive plays yielded 29 total yards. 1 play yielded 53. 

Reeves had 149 yards rushing for Galax. 

I think the Maroon Tide will win.  If most things are equal, meaning....if two teams are close in level of play or "how good" they are, I always take the team that is more physical.  I'm not sold Galax is a whole lot better than Holston regarding "good football players."  Both schools have em for sure, but the one's at Galax seem to be more physical.  Doing what Galax did to McCluer from the defensive side of the ball tells me all I need to know about their physicality.  Parry McCluer had huge size and strength, and for Galax to shut down the run game like that is a good sign as to how physical Galax is.  Only my opinion...

I also believe that anytime you lose a star QB and your coach and you win 13 Straight you are a hell of a football team.  Even if and that’s if D1 is down those guys didn’t forget how to coach at PH and Chilhowie.

My biggest concern will be if the Tide matches Holston emotions and intensity at the start of the game . As Holston will be sky high.

I lean Galax. I'd like to see Holston win since Galax is almost in the state title game every year. But, I for sure think this is going be a defensive game. I don't think either team can put up more than 2-3 TD's on each other cause of how solid the defenses are for both teams.

27-6 Galax was the final in the Spring. It actually seemed closer than that with Galax pulling away late. 

I see this one much the same with Galax advancing but as everyone knows, I've been wrong a time or two ;).

the pa guy did not say they would be playing in salem with that being said holston can pass the ball if need to but they have three backs they are going to have to prepare for no one has stopped all 3 . an as far as physical i think holston is very physical this is holstons chance to beat them i look for a very good defense game from holston an yes holston has a kicker he kicked a 38 26 30 24 i think this an has only miss 3 xp all yr that was on bad snaps can probly match them speed wise no one will beat riverheads this game might be the best one of the weekend if u like defense

1 hour ago, jalo said:

the pa guy did not say they would be playing in salem with that being said holston can pass the ball if need to but they have three backs they are going to have to prepare for no one has stopped all 3 . an as far as physical i think holston is very physical this is holstons chance to beat them i look for a very good defense game from holston an yes holston has a kicker he kicked a 38 26 30 24 i think this an has only miss 3 xp all yr that was on bad snaps can probly match them speed wise no one will beat riverheads this game might be the best one of the weekend if u like defense

He absolutely did , I just watched the game on NFHS. And he made the statement ( we will have a remote feed set up for the game in Salem). So not sure how that isn’t saying the same thing. This is also the guy that started throwing shade at Galax last year toward the end of the game!! Don’t believe me go watch the game. 

You don’t prepare for three backs, you prepare for the plays that are run no matter who runs them.  I’m mean hell,  Galax has three stud backs as well and a good running quarterback. 

We played Holston last year and beat them at the start  of the season and unless they are light years better than last year I don’t see them running all over Galax as everyone is saying. Could be wrong .

11 minutes ago, Topper22 said:

He absolutely did , I just watched the game on NFHS. And he made the statement ( we will have a remote feed set up for the game in Salem). So not sure how that isn’t saying the same thing. This is also the guy that started throwing shade at Galax last year toward the end of the game!! Don’t believe me go watch the game. 

You don’t prepare for three backs, you prepare for the plays that are run no matter who runs them.  I’m mean hell,  Galax has three stud backs as well and a good running quarterback. 

We played Holston last year and beat them at the start  of the season and unless they are light years better than last year I don’t see them running all over Galax as everyone is saying. Could be wrong .

East Montgomery measured for rings a few years ago before they had CROW for dinner !

Going with what I've watched with my own eyes, I still say Holston would have to tangle with GW for the 4 seed if they were Region C because I don't think they would beat a healthy Giles, much less PM or Galax.  Them and GW would be a great game depending on which GW showed up.  Galax having to travel might help them a bit, and I don't know if Holston will get blown out but I'll go Galax by 2 scores.

——————-PM;—G

First downs;3;———-12

Rushing yards;-6;——249

Comp-Att-Int;7-23-1;3-13-1

Passing yards;88;——25

Penalties-yards;3-40;8-94

Fumbles-lost;3-3;2-1

Punts-Avg.;7-34;3-39.3

RUSHING – Parry McCluer, Snider 11-22, Bartley 1-1, Mitchell 1-(minus-2), Schley 7-(minus-27). Galax, Reeves 25-149, Horton 9-41, Tucker 5-32, Ashworth 10-27.

PASSING – Parry McCluer, Schley 7-23-1-88. Galax, Ashworth 3-13-1-25.

RECEIVING – Parry McCluer, Mitchell 4-75, Snider 2-11, Bartley 1-2. Galax, Byrd 2-10, White 1-15.

thart is correct online tix again but it should be a good game got news today galax will be without one of there rb broke arm an a defense lineman with a bad ankle

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Galax isn’t gonna score 42 on Holston.  They’ll probably win, but I doubt the total points hits 42, much less Galax’s total.

Galax's offense has been struggling as of late, mix that with a very good Holston defense and they definitely aren't putting up that many points but I hope I'm wrong and they get things going again offensively this week.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:49 PM, Topper22 said:

I am hearing that tickets to all semi final games must be purchased online in advance like last year. Anyone else heard this ?

True! I purchased my tickets for the Graham game on Monday night @GoFan.

Graham's twitter page had the GoFan link on it. The Appomattox County twitter account does as well.