Playoff - Week 4 updates

-oo-

1 hour ago, Fairlawncat said:

Graham too physical for Appo. Vicious licks by the defense. Brody Meadows played pinball with Appo. A game of whack a mole for Meadows. Best lineman to come out of the western part of Virginia going back to over 30 years ago with former WVU All American and Richlands/Detroit Lions Mike Compton. Graham, barring injury, has two kids on the roster that will play Sunday football in about 48 months from now.

I was more impressed with the play of Connor Roberts today. Yes, Meadows did what he does, but  Roberts was in the backfield all day, disrupting plays and getting to the QB on multiple occasions.  He played like a man possessed.  Lawing found himself being helped up by Roberts on multiple occasions today.  He came all the way across the field on several occasions to make plays.  He did a great job.  He was definitely the defensive player of the game in my opinion   I hope Blevins is more mobile next week.  King William is big and athletic, their running back is a beast.  Should be a great game!!. 

Very impressed with Graham's defensive line play these past 2 weeks.

31 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Seen where their city population was around 225 people so I'm assuming the whole county goes to one school?

Yelp, just the one high school. King William County has a population of just over 17,000 which is slightly more than Dickenson or Grayson Counties. 

4 hours ago, HurricaneWarning said:

Still a great season. Best they’ve had in a long time. It’s Abingdon by the way lol. 

Nope. It’s Abington. You can find a tons of bs, several tons of snobs, tons of arrogance, 

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

If they do, they left it at home. They are on par with Grayson County and George Wythe. 

How are they on par with Grayson and GW when GW molested Grayson? I will agree they are equal to Grayson probably very equal. But I said it a while back when all I heard was Holston this Holston that. If they played in C they'd be lucky to finish 6-4 Galax destroyed them, Giles would've won by 35+, PM is 3-5 scores better and imo GW wins in the range of 42-21. Not downing Holston they played a game in December my Maroons didn't. But I'm reality they made it this far because D is absolutely terrible if C and D played cross region playoffs not a single team from D would've made it close.

2 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

Graham too physical for Appo. Vicious licks by the defense. Brody Meadows played pinball with Appo. A game of whack a mole for Meadows. Best lineman to come out of the western part of Virginia going back to over 30 years ago with former WVU All American and Richlands/Detroit Lions Mike Compton. Graham, barring injury, has two kids on the roster that will play Sunday football in about 48 months from now.

Wrong, Grundy had 2 all-state linemen in the 90s that were just as good if not better.

5 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:
10 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Where did they play their college ball?

Well the ornerier smaller one, according to D1 standards, started out in D2 in PA, but later transferred back home to plays with his buddies at Emory.  The other one used to block for a QB called Michael Vick. He even played in a National Championship Game against Florida State. 

8 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Grundy's Luke Owens, current Central coach, signed as an OL with the Hokies in '98.  He did see time in the '99 NC game and was a starter for two seasons. I think he'd compare favorably to Meadows.

Thank you Cousin Liam, Uncle Percy said to make you a Cousin. You’re one of his favorite posters. 

2 hours ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

Wrong, Grundy had 2 all-state linemen in the 90s that were just as good if not better.

Don't want to split hairs, but Mike Compton was a Super Prep All American out of High School and a Consensus First Team All-American at WVU and a finalist for the Lombardi Award, played 12 seasons in the NFL and has 2 superbowl rings.  I know Luke Owens was awesome, but that's some serious accolades for Compton.  Owens was great and I loved watching him, but he was a 3 star recruit.  Meadows just made First Team All American.and is the 12th ranked player in the state of Va by rivals.

4 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Don't want to split hairs, but Mike Compton was a Super Prep All American out of High School and a Consensus First Team All-American at WVU and a finalist for the Lombardi Award, played 12 seasons in the NFL and has 2 superbowl rings.  I know Luke Owens was awesome, but that's some serious accolades for Compton.

You were talking about the last 30 years. 

2 minutes ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

You were talking about the last 30 years. 

My quote was "back to over 30 years ago"  But, if you feel Owens was as good or better than Compton or Meadows, that's cool too.  Owens was one heck of a player and I loved watching him at Tech.  People can see things different ways.

25 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

My quote was "back to over 30 years ago"  But, if you feel Owens was as good or better than Compton or Meadows, that's cool too.  Owens was one heck of a player and I loved watching him at Tech.  People can see things different ways.

I didn’t say that. Compton is one of the best to ever come out of SWVA. I’ve seen a lot of good players in SWVA over the past 50 plus years. Yogi Mooney of Clintwood was one of the best linemen ever. Saw him play in 75 and 76. Went to N.C. State, knee injury cut his career short.

7 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Coach Smith did kick to Bradshaw on purpose. I thought it was a miscue but according to this article, nope. 

https://heraldcourier.com/sports/vhsl-class-2-state-football-semis-graham-downs-appomattox-42-28/article_07e979cc-5576-11ec-8a7b-ef70d1f0c7fd.html

I seem to have missed where any coach or players said Appo kicked to Bradshaw on purpose. What i read was a reporters opinion. 

20 minutes ago, oldfool said:

I seem to have missed where any coach or players said Appo kicked to Bradshaw on purpose. What i read was a reporters opinion. 

If I. counted correctly paragraphs 18-19 is where Coach Smith is quoted about kicking to Bradshaw. “probably not the best coaching decision “ . 

35 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

If I. counted correctly paragraphs 18-19 is where Coach Smith is quoted about kicking to Bradshaw. “probably not the best coaching decision “ . 

Yeah i had not seen the article on newsadvance only tried to read the article on BHS with all the popups and such was hard to read. I now believe you are correct and i was wrong. I dont understand that decision by coach and have watched it happen many times this season, but at a playoff game when your kick coverage has been non existent all season! Gosh a player at Altavista about wore us out this year and i kept wondering why we kept kicking to him. Maybe thats why i'm not a coach and just a low life fan of the Raiders lol.