Graham vs King William VA 2A State Championship

Graham32

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

I feel like since he’s a Union guy making that prediction, we can’t count it as “Graham team”….I say close, nail biter, & hope Graham wins in the end. 🤞

I know, I’m just hoping the young men don’t have the hubris that 2001 team had.

54 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I know, I’m just hoping the young men don’t have the hubris that 2001 team had.

Always was and will be a Glenn Carlock fan.  I love the tough ones that were as good as it gets.  Carlock was that.  Reminds me much of Coach Ragsdale.  As solid as Coach Carlock was at Graham over many decades, he had his worst day in 2001.  I watched Lafayette-Pulaski and Graham-Harrisonburg that day.  Graham left a state title on the field.  Graham kind of got outplayed, but certainly on that given day, they got outcoached.  Graham was a better football team than Harrisonburg.  Also, I listened to the PC faithful being even more confident than the Graham fans in their certain state title victory to come, and Lafayette's Paul Wheeler (Head Coach) and the tough and heady Connor Hughes who did everything, and later did well at UVA put on a show for the mighty Rams from Williamsburg. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Always was and will be a Glenn Carlock fan.  I love the tough ones that were as good as it gets.  Carlock was that.  Reminds me much of Coach Ragsdale.  As solid as Coach Carlock was at Graham over many decades, he had his worst day in 2001.  I watched Lafayette-Pulaski and Graham-Harrisonburg that day.  Graham left a state title on the field.  Graham kind of got outplayed, but certainly on that given day, they got outcoached.  Graham was a better football team than Harrisonburg.  Also, I listened to the PC faithful being even more confident than the Graham fans in their certain state title victory to come, and Lafayette's Paul Wheeler (Head Coach) and the tough and heady Connor Hughes who did everything, and later did well at UVA put on a show for the mighty Rams from Williamsburg. 

It was a cold and rainy day that day

I sat in dis-belief (in a trash bag with a hole cut in it to stick my head through) as Graham kept throwing the deep sideline patterns and watched Harrisonburg get away with chop blocking and taking out the knees of Graham's offensive line. Akeem Jordan for Harrisonburg later played at Linebacker in the NFL for thr Eagles.  He and Bradshaw met many times on the field again. Graham's athleticism was not used to their potential that day and that fake punt will continue to haunt me.  That may still be the most athletic team that has ever taken the field for Graham.

10 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

How much of a bigger school was Harrisonburg compared to Graham. Obviously Graham played up for years.

I think they had about 1200 or 1300 students at the time and Graham had around 500, I would guess.  Been a while back, but I do recall they were nearly 3 times bigger.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I think they had about 1200 or 1300 students at the time and Graham had around 500, I would guess.  Been a while back, but I do recall they were nearly 3 times bigger.

Harrisonburg is in the process of building a second high school now .they are a big school

42 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Why did Graham play up like that?

Don't know Graham enrollment over the years, but have read on here Graham was playing AA from 1970 to 85 when they should have been A, and from 86 to 2010ish or whenever they dropped, they were Div 3 when should have been Div 2 and barely Div 2, with numbers trickery like Riverheads, Graham is still close today to Class 1 ball, but plays class 2. Don't know what Grahams or anyone's numbers are. I've never looked at enrollments.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Don't know Graham enrollment over the years, but have read on here Graham was playing AA from 1970 to 85 when they should have been A, and from 86 to 2010ish or whenever they dropped, they were Div 3 when should have been Div 2 and barely Div 2, with numbers trickery like Riverheads, Graham is still close today to Class 1 ball, but plays class 2. Don't know what Grahams or anyone's numbers are. I've never looked at enrollments.

Believe Graham is around 520

54 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

That Claiborne kid is speedy and shifty. Hope the GMen can put the brakes on him. KW has some big ones on the field. 

That line is big, but don't look like they are in as good of physical condition as Graham's line.  Those big boys might be worn out by the 2nd half.  Graham has lived in the weight room.

That's what I noticed,  don't have much surge, especially in the 2nd half.  Graham has gotten better week by week, peaked at the right time.  Qb can't run,  rb still getting it done because of the big guys up front.  Same on defense,  progressively got better from start to finish. 

12 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

That line is big, but don't look like they are in as good of physical condition as Graham's line.  Those big boys might be worn out by the 2nd half.  Graham has lived in the weight room.

From the clip you shared, they don’t look to be in as good of physical condition and maybe a bit slower but I guess we won’t truly know until Saturday when the teams hit the field. I really think GMen players and coaches are all dialed in , will be ready. KW is coming up Friday and spending the night which unlike Appomattox is new to them. It’s a 3.5 hour trip, they really don’t have a choice with a noon kickoff. I just wonder how having that many boys in a hotel together before the absolute biggest game of their lives will work for them. It may be to their advantage or it may have no bearing at all. It’s obviously better than leaving at 6am for the biggest game of the year. 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

From the clip you shared, they don’t look to be in as good of physical condition and maybe a bit slower but I guess we won’t truly know until Saturday when the teams hit the field. I really think GMen players and coaches are all dialed in , will be ready. KW is coming up Friday and spending the night which unlike Appomattox is new to them. It’s a 3.5 hour trip, they really don’t have a choice with a noon kickoff. I just wonder how having that many boys in a hotel together before the absolute biggest game of their lives will work for them. It may be to their advantage or it may have no barring at all. It’s obviously better than leaving at 6am for the biggest game of the year. 

We have the edge when it comes to experience in the championship game granted it was 4 years ago but our Seniors remember the feeling. 

2 hours ago, Graham32 said:

Just received a text that said Blevins should be better this week. I sure hope so we need everyone ready to roll. 

I hope he gets to play and is feeling better.

When you stop and think about losing your SWD DPOY in the playoffs and your SWD OPOY is hobbling around on one leg. It's really impressive that the coaching staff has managed to keep these kids rolling. Also lost another key starter on defense. Both of the kids are key contributors. It's not like they were injured in the 5th week of the season. Here we are middle of the playoffs. Pretty impressive to me. Neither the staff nor kids quit. 

16 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Speaking for all Union fans we won't say a thing if Graham wants to play some single A ball next few seasons

All the SW District schools Graham regularly competed against through the years were at least legitimately 3A. I don't think Graham had to compete at that level but I think they enjoyed the challenge. I remember talking to Principal Gary Williams when Graham went to the Mountain Empire and he said it was for the other sports. I remember him saying that it just didn't make sense for the other sports to be competing against the Cave Spring's of the world. I was at his house getting old clippings of his father who was a first-team all State end at Bluefield High in 1948 (when there were only 11 players chosen) and we had an interesting conversation.

31 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Speaking for all Union fans we won't say a thing if Graham wants to play some single A ball next few seasons

I’m sure there are some Ridgeview fans that won’t disagree with that! Lol

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

I hope he gets to play and is feeling better.

When you stop and think about losing your SWD DPOY in the playoffs and your SWD OPOY is hobbling around on one leg. It's really impressive that the coaching staff has managed to keep these kids rolling. Also lost another key starter on defense. Both of the kids are key contributors. It's not like they were injured in the 5th week of the season. Here we are middle of the playoffs. Pretty impressive to me. Neither the staff nor kids quit. 

He makes them go but they are lucky enough to have a proven backup at QB.  That’s a nice luxury to have and one that most AA schools don’t these days.

6 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I hope he is feeling better, though what I’ve heard, his injury isn’t the sort that 1 week will fix…

The text I received was from a person who works with his dad. Take it with a grain of salt. 

23 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I hope he is feeling better, though what I’ve heard, his injury isn’t the sort that 1 week will fix…

I think he’ll be about the same as the past two weeks, limited & not utilized on defense. I do think he’ll give it all that’s humanly possible considering his injury. He’s a tough one that plays with his whole heart.