State Championship Score Updates

Deleted Account

11 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

Someone needs to beat the Riverheads next year. The question is can anyone in 1A take them down?

Considering what RH returns, I don’t see anyone in 1A coming within 4 tds of them next year. They are a relatively young team this year. 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’d say that’s pie in the sky talk until I see the kid actually enrolled. A lot of us thought Webb was playing for Bluefield this year, never materialized. He stayed put.  What I’m saying is, talk is usually just that, talk. 

Yes, wasn't it bandanaman (could be wrong on that) that said he had heard Graham was also getting Cousin's younger brother. I like Bandana's insight as much as the next person but not sure where his sources are coming from.

Mildly Interesting (or not) Title Day Tidbits:

Riverheads-9th title since '00, 6th in a row along with a 50 game winning streak

King William-2nd title since '00, 1st title was win over Honaker during Heath Miller's senior season

Phoebus-8th title since '01 but first since '11, only loss this season (Oscar Smith 42-0)

Varina-1st title in the 82 year history of the school

Stone Bridge-3rd title since '07 and 2nd in a row, HC Mickey Thompson, the only coach in the 22 year school history, has appeared in 11 title games (3-8) and has an overall record of 244-47 (.838)

Oscar Smith-4th title since '08 and 2nd in a row, OSHS has appeared in 9 of the last 14 title games (4-5). Oscar Smith's only loss this season (St. John Bosco, CA  49-0)

8 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Mildly Interesting (or not) Title Day Tidbits:

Riverheads-9th title since '00, 6th in a row along with a 50 game winning streak

King William-2nd title since '00, 1st title was win over Honaker during Heath Miller's senior season

Phoebus-8th title since '01 but first since '11, only loss this season (Oscar Smith 42-0)

Varina-1st title in the 82 year history of the school

Stone Bridge-3rd title since '07 and 2nd in a row, HC Mickey Thompson, the only coach in the 22 year school history, has appeared in 11 title games (3-8) and has an overall record of 244-47 (.838)

Oscar Smith-4th title since '08 and 2nd in a row, OSHS has appeared in 9 of the last 14 title games (4-5). Oscar Smith's only loss this season (St. John Bosco, CA  49-0)

Mickey Thompson was also the coach at Park View Sterling from 1990-1999. 71 of his wins were at Park View and 42 losses. He was the coach at Park View in the 1999 championship game that Park View lost to Salem 21-20. Park View also lost the championship to Salem in 2000 under a new coach. 18 years later Park View had to cancel the season for lack of interest.

2 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

Wow. How do they always have so much talent I wonder???

Every year they have around 50+ players that come out. They actually had 85 players at the beginning of this season but had around 20 quit(at least that’s what we were told by a RH fan yesterday) When you have that many kids come out you’re going to have 15-20 pretty good athletes to put out on the field. It also helps that they execute their offense to perfection. I heard their coach was retiring(again) after this season but like Galax, I doubt you see much of a drop off. 

8 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Every year they have around 50+ players that come out. They actually had 85 players at the beginning of this season but had around 20 quit(at least that’s what we were told by a RH fan yesterday) When you have that many kids come out you’re going to have 15-20 pretty good athletes to put out on the field. It also helps that they execute their offense to perfection. I heard their coach was retiring(again) after this season but like Galax, I doubt you see much of a drop off. 

That is true. I would like to see Giles get back to being the powerhouse they once were. 

The 85 number was likely including JV when practices started. I didn’t think that many “quit” but I know of 7 from the opening week that didn’t stay all season.  There are several seniors that will be missed with the most obvious to me being #26 Smiley. He is someone that every team had to account for at DE and made a huge impact by moving from FB to TE which improved the blocking. His last game at FB before changing positions was the last loss Riverheads had against East Rock in 2018. Low key he was the lynchpin to a lot of the success the run game has experienced these last several years. 

This is quite the compliment by former Galax and current Pulaski Co HC Mark Dixon on Riverheads HC Robert Casto.

“I’ve only run into one other coach who I thought understood line play anywhere near the level that he understands it,” said Pulaski (VA) High School coach Mark Dixon who was 1-2 against Riverheads while coaching at Galax. Dixon should know. Before coaching, he played on the offensive line for George Welsh at the University of Virginia and for Jimmy Johnson with the Miami Dolphins. He said not only does Casto understand his own team's blocking scheme but also he knows his opponent's scheme as well. "That’s where he’s really brilliant," Dixon said.

excerpt from article by Patrick Hite, Staunton News Leader 12/12/2021

1 hour ago, vhs_falcon_volfan said:

Pity that Graham got beat. They were growing on me. 

Also, this Riverheads team apparently has the longest active win streak in the nation. And they’re tiny. With less than 450 students? That’s impressive considering that fact. 

Theyre at the very top of their classification(1A) in Virginia. The consistency is impressive and their schedule is mostly made up of larger schools 

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

This is quite the compliment by former Galax and current Pulaski Co HC Mark Dixon on Riverheads HC Robert Casto.

“I’ve only run into one other coach who I thought understood line play anywhere near the level that he understands it,” said Pulaski (VA) High School coach Mark Dixon who was 1-2 against Riverheads while coaching at Galax. Dixon should know. Before coaching, he played on the offensive line for George Welsh at the University of Virginia and for Jimmy Johnson with the Miami Dolphins. He said not only does Casto understand his own team's blocking scheme but also he knows his opponent's scheme as well. "That’s where he’s really brilliant," Dixon said.

excerpt from article by Patrick Hite, Staunton News Leader 12/12/2021

That “one other coach” is the guy that used to be at Hurley. My apologies for not remembering his name. Dixon had a tremendous amount of respect for what he was able to do with such limited resources. 

27 minutes ago, sixcat said:

That “one other coach” is the guy that used to be at Hurley. My apologies for not remembering his name. Dixon had a tremendous amount of respect for what he was able to do with such limited resources. 

Greg Tester?

28 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It had to be Greg Tester who ran the Wing T at Hurley. As a player for the Rebels he was an undersized but fierce RB. He was walk-on Freshman at Miami followed by a red-shirt season at VT. He finished his career starring at UVA-Wise. He stepped down at Hurley in '17 when his son started high school at Wise Central. Tester works as an assistant for the Warriors.

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

It had to be Greg Tester who ran the Wing T at Hurley. As a player for the Rebels he was an undersized but fierce RB. He was walk-on Freshman at Miami followed by a red-shirt season at VT. He finished his career starring at UVA-Wise. He stepped down at Hurley in '17 when his son started high school at Wise Central. Tester works as an assistant for the Warriors.

We played Hurley in 96 at the Clifft to start the season.  Our kicker had been in a car wreck, so I was handling KO duties.  Coach Wampler told me do not kick it to 22.  So instead I kicked it toward and upback who let the ball go between his legs, roll to the 10, which allowed Tester to pick it up and start the year with a 90 yard KO return for a TD.  Heckuva game that started at Hurley on Friday and finished on Labor Day at Honaker, and probably was the difference in RC making the playoffs and Hurley ending up being the D2 runners up.