Predictions for Next Season

generallyspeaking

Don't want to get in the middle of your argument, but speaking in pure football terms, Graham and Richlands might be similar.  Meaning.....Richlands left 2 more state titles on the field over their run due to lack of emphasis on an efficient running game.  I didn't say they needed to be a full-blown Union, but very little emphasis on running the ball in between the tackles when it was needed most to put games away (the game with Appo in 15 or 16 comes to mind).  Same with Graham with a short-efficient passing game.  If Graham doesn't fix that problem, over this likely 20 year run with Palmer, they are certainly going to play for more state titles, but they find themselves leaving 1 or 2 on the field if they don't insert a screen pass into their offense.  

I get what your saying, but if blevins didn't have a broken leg would we have left a state title on the field? It took our power run game away and would've made a big difference on defense. Game would've been much closer. But hey that's football.

24 minutes ago, CPF said:

I get what your saying, but if blevins didn't have a broken leg would we have left a state title on the field? It took our power run game away and would've made a big difference on defense. Game would've been much closer. But hey that's football.

CPF, I think the game was FAR, FAR closer than most fans probably think.  Yea, they got the late score to make it look bad, but that game was decided by about 5 plays.  Two of those critical plays were Graham jumping offsides on 4th and 1.  1 of those was Bradshaw getting shoe stringed tackled when he cut back across field and had open field and a guy just got one hand on his feet and he went down.  The other 2 were the busted runs on 3rd and longs. I think the game was very close and Graham was 50-50 to win that thing with a healthy QB.  The QB would have absolutely made some of those tackles on those 3rd and long TD runs.  He would have got there.  So, I agree with you, it actually was much closer and decided by 4-5 plays.  

But, you still have to agree, Graham needs to throw a screen pass dude.  Just think about this statement for a minute, "Graham didn't throw a screen pass all year long."<-----now, I know that's crazy, but I think it's true to my knowledge and from what I've heard.  That's not a good take.  When you know you have a QB who can't run and you have an over aggressive defense that is teeing off, you have got to throw screens of some kind.  I don't think Graham had one in the playbook.  And with a healthy QB on O and D, I think that's a 50-50 game, but it still could have been a 50-50 game even with the QB hurt, if Graham would have inserted some screen packages.  Only my opinion though, and I'm not saying it's absolute.  Just one guys take on it.

One more thing about Palmer where he's a bit different in my opinion than most coaches.  This guy just not only wants to get better, he puts the work in to get better.  You can see that about every year he has coached.  Graham improves in areas of weakness, for example, all the penalties and late hits and stuff, that has been trending down since 2019.  He's identified the problem and pretty much fixed it.  I GUARANTEE you that Graham will have several screen packages in place next year.  The talk is out among fans asking about a screen here or there.  Palmer is not the narcissistic type where he's all high and mighty and knows everything.  He's the kind of guy that will take the critique, and next year, put in into practice directly on the field.  That's why Graham's future is really bright for the next 20 or so years, or as long as Palmer is there.

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

True. Didn’t start getting transfers until 09-10. 

And the Blues got the transfers because they had a great program, a state title, and a great coach FIRST.......<-----all of that happened First, before the transfers.  The tranfers follow and this is usually the way it always works.  Many say, "they just go out and recruit and then they got good."  It doesn't work like that.  Kids want to come there because the program is already solid.  Same situation with Graham at present.  

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Don't want to get in the middle of your argument, but speaking in pure football terms, Graham and Richlands might be similar.  Meaning.....Richlands left 2 more state titles on the field over their run due to lack of emphasis on an efficient running game.  I didn't say they needed to be a full-blown Union, but very little emphasis on running the ball in between the tackles when it was needed most to put games away (the game with Appo in 15 or 16 comes to mind).  Same with Graham with a short-efficient passing game.  If Graham doesn't fix that problem, over this likely 20 year run with Palmer, they are certainly going to play for more state titles, but they find themselves leaving 1 or 2 on the field if they don't insert a screen pass into their offense.  

I agree with you on needing more short/intermediate pass routes. But in all honesty I think part of the issue was the QB. Zach had a cannon for an arm. He was a football player that was playing QB. He didn't really have a touch on the ball for those short passed. Think back to the Bluefield game. He threw a 5yd screen pass that went through the receivers hands and bounced off the defenders face mask that dang near shattered the helmet. A Nolan Ryan fastball had nothing on some of his passes😂

I'm not knocking him at all. I love the kid like he's my own and have a ton of respect for him. He played a major role in getting us to Salem.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

He made a mistake by not taking one of the OC jobs at North Myrtle Beach and Carolina Forest.  Both were open.  His pay would have been similar and you can not win at Loris.  Loris plays up 5-7 times per year and when they play up, they play WAY up, as in Giles playing Salem, Heritage, LCA every year.  Additionally, they are in arguably the toughest small conferences in the state as they play Dillon, Green Sea, and when they cross over the state line to play a North Carolina school of similar size, it's South Columbus which is a powerhouse.  Loris is starting every season basically 0-5, and they could have the best coach in the United States and still, they are losing 5 games per year just by default.  Loris is also a shi*hole.  It's a high crime dangerous little town with tons of crime and drugs.  I'm still suprised that he didn't take one of the slots at Carolina Forest or North Myrtle.  Both are actually much better high schools, easier to teach at, less problem kids, and nicer areas to live.

He didn't make a mistake....he took exactly what he wanted....you me or anyone else can't sit and say what the right or wrong decision was for another person...he is happy where he is...that's a good decision in my book

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

He didn't make a mistake....he took exactly what he wanted....you me or anyone else can't sit and say what the right or wrong decision was for another person...he is happy where he is...that's a good decision in my book

Sorry EDIT....This was suppose to go to bandanaman lol

And do you know exactly where he lives down there? He don't have to live in loris to teach there....and I could be mistaken but he only does weight lifting classes

Kids (and more so their parents) are going to want to play for a winning team and a team they think will help them get noticed by colleges. 

Graham has a 87% win percentage since 2016 and has had 5 division 1 signees in the last 5 years. Couple that with that they are geographically in a better area than most SWVA schools, I don’t see the transfers stopping anytime soon. 

with that being said, I don’t like it. I’d rather try to be better with the guys I grew up with than jump ship to the hot team. But that’s just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

You sure he's happy where he is?  You don't know for certain that he's happy where he is.  Of course I don't absolutely know what the correct decision is for another person, but I can give an opinion on it.  Revisit this post....save it.  Mance will not be at Loris for more than 2 seasons.  Betcha a gazillion, and I don't bet.  I don't think many know just how bad Loris is as a town and school.  The crime rate in Loris is actually one of the highest in the United States.  

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Sorry EDIT....This was suppose to go to bandanaman lol

And do you know exactly where he lives down there? He don't have to live in loris to teach there....and I could be mistaken but he only does weight lifting classes

I have no idea whether Loris has a requirement for educators to live in the town limits.  I know driving through that craphole is bad enough.  https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/12/13/loris-high-school-coach-accused-having-inappropriate-relationship-with-student/

https://www.myhorrynews.com/news/local/loris/gangs-activity-a-growing-problem-in-loris-area/article_832a8c64-fd12-11e6-8a42-2721b3abf3af.html

People up here in the mountains Might think "wow, a small little cute town with southern charm and it's very close to the beach."  >------It's actually a Deadly town filled with crime and even gang activity, drugs, drive by shootings that the local police often try to surpress, and is one of the worst places to live in America.  Oh yea, one more thing, Happy Thanksgiving as this one was the most recent.  Happens in Loris all the time though......https://www.wbtw.com/crime/grand-strand-crime/1-dead-in-loris-shooting/

Loris is almost identical to Pearisburg in population, roughly 2700 or so people.  There have been 6 people shot and killed in the Loris area just this year and numerous other people shot, and this doesn't include the drive by's or stabbings.  Many people in the mountains just wouldn't be able to believe it, unless they lived there or knew much about it.   

27 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

You sure he's happy where he is?  You don't know for certain that he's happy where he is.  Of course I don't absolutely know what the correct decision is for another person, but I can give an opinion on it.  Revisit this post....save it.  Mance will not be at Loris for more than 2 seasons.  Betcha a gazillion, and I don't bet.  I don't think many know just how bad Loris is as a town and school.  The crime rate in Loris is actually one of the highest in the United States.  

Going by what I've been told by a family member of his...may be there 2 years like you say but I'd be willing to bet when he gives up the whistle he stays down there

3 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Going by what I've been told by a family member of his...may be there 2 years like you say but I'd be willing to bet when he gives up the whistle he stays down there

Agree.  I think, don't quote me on this, but I think he needs 8 years to be vested.  If I'm not mistaken, South Carolina educators are not vested at the 5 year mark like many states are, I think South Carolina requires 8 years to be vested for a teachers pension.   You are righr though, I don't know where he lives.  He may live on the Beach.  The closest beach to Loris is the Cherry Grove section of North Myrtle Beach, and from Cherry Grove to the Loris High School, it's a good 30 minutes.   He may be at Loris for 10 more years for all I know, but I'm telling ya man, Loris is......BAD.  I don't see how he does it and I'm serious, I do not see how he has done it for these 2 years and don't see how he could do it for another year.  

24 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Agree.  I think, don't quote me on this, but I think he needs 8 years to be vested.  If I'm not mistaken, South Carolina educators are not vested at the 5 year mark like many states are, I think South Carolina requires 8 years to be vested for a teachers pension.   You are righr though, I don't know where he lives.  He may live on the Beach.  The closest beach to Loris is the Cherry Grove section of North Myrtle Beach, and from Cherry Grove to the Loris High School, it's a good 30 minutes.   He may be at Loris for 10 more years for all I know, but I'm telling ya man, Loris is......BAD.  I don't see how he does it and I'm serious, I do not see how he has done it for these 2 years and don't see how he could do it for another year.  

I'm betting he don't live in loris....30 min drive to work is nothing...especially when you probably don't have to be there till after 8:00

6 hours ago, CPF said:

Oh I'm not sensitive. If anyone else said it I'd laugh about it, but it's coming from the cheating capital of southwest virginia. Your just big mad because your done and were just beginning. That's the bottom line. We're done here have a nice day.

*you're.  

Sorry I couldn't resist lol. Can't have a flame war on here without me involved somehow 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

*you're.  

Sorry I couldn't resist lol. Can't have a flame war on here without me involved somehow 

I'd just like to know why anyone cares what mance is gonna do or live at in 2 years.  This is quickly becoming the dumbest conversation I've ever read on this site

4 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I'd just like to know why anyone cares what mance is gonna do or live at in 2 years.  This is quickly becoming the dumbest conversation I've ever read on this site

Mance is a friend of most people at Giles... If it bothers you then don't read it

7 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

CPF, I think the game was FAR, FAR closer than most fans probably think.  Yea, they got the late score to make it look bad, but that game was decided by about 5 plays.  Two of those critical plays were Graham jumping offsides on 4th and 1.  1 of those was Bradshaw getting shoe stringed tackled when he cut back across field and had open field and a guy just got one hand on his feet and he went down.  The other 2 were the busted runs on 3rd and longs. I think the game was very close and Graham was 50-50 to win that thing with a healthy QB.  The QB would have absolutely made some of those tackles on those 3rd and long TD runs.  He would have got there.  So, I agree with you, it actually was much closer and decided by 4-5 plays.  

But, you still have to agree, Graham needs to throw a screen pass dude.  Just think about this statement for a minute, "Graham didn't throw a screen pass all year long."<-----now, I know that's crazy, but I think it's true to my knowledge and from what I've heard.  That's not a good take.  When you know you have a QB who can't run and you have an over aggressive defense that is teeing off, you have got to throw screens of some kind.  I don't think Graham had one in the playbook.  And with a healthy QB on O and D, I think that's a 50-50 game, but it still could have been a 50-50 game even with the QB hurt, if Graham would have inserted some screen packages.  Only my opinion though, and I'm not saying it's absolute.  Just one guys take on it.

One more thing about Palmer where he's a bit different in my opinion than most coaches.  This guy just not only wants to get better, he puts the work in to get better.  You can see that about every year he has coached.  Graham improves in areas of weakness, for example, all the penalties and late hits and stuff, that has been trending down since 2019.  He's identified the problem and pretty much fixed it.  I GUARANTEE you that Graham will have several screen packages in place next year.  The talk is out among fans asking about a screen here or there.  Palmer is not the narcissistic type where he's all high and mighty and knows everything.  He's the kind of guy that will take the critique, and next year, put in into practice directly on the field.  That's why Graham's future is really bright for the next 20 or so years, or as long as Palmer is there.

I agree with you 100 million percent about the lack of the short passing game for Graham.  I think it's the Offensive Coordinator who needs to do a better job here. Not only was the intermediate passing game non-existent in the playoffs, but it wasn't worked on during the regular season, when Graham had those big leads.  I don't think it was in the playbook.  Baffling.  Mountain 7 put a good perspective on it, however.  Blevins may not have had the best touch.  But, no excuse for not having it in the playbook.  Graham just seemed very predictable as the playoffs wore on.  They had the size, speed and strength to pull it off until the finals.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Most states are 5 years and 60 years old (one would receive a very minimal retirement check , like $500 a month.  It's not like they get full retirement for 5 years of work. You always hear people talk about getting two retirements, not exactly.   I think getting a retirement from Virginia plus a salary for those 5 years or so, then an additonal $500 or $600 a month on top of your retirement after that is appealing.   SC may be 8 years.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

61? , 89, 95 and 2018.  Not 100 % sure on that first one.  Sorry, if already answered.  This thread went nuts in a hurry and I didn't feel like reading through all the garbage.

When did Graham HS open?