Predictions for Next Season

generallyspeaking

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

When did Graham HS open?

1914, I believe.  The current Graham H.S. was built in the 50's after the old High School caught on fire.  The old building was re-furbished and became Graham Intermediate School. Ill tell you one thing, those High Schools in Tazewell Co. Could all use a good pressure washing. You can still see the chalk dust markings outside of Graham's gym on the front side of the building, where a certain unknown juvenile had to dust chalkboard erasers.

20 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

1914, I believe.  The current Graham H.S. was built in the 50's after the old High School caught on fire.  The old building was re-furbished and became Graham Intermediate School. Ill tell you one thing, those High Schools in Tazewell Co. Could all use a good pressure washing. You can still see the chalk dust markings outside of Graham's gym on the front side of the building, where a certain unknown juvenile had to dust chalkboard erasers.

Hate quoting myself, but to add to this thought of pressure washing those buildings.  The fire Dept could probably do that at each school and get some practice operating the hoses.  Maybe the towns could provide the water source at no charge.  Win-Win for all.  (Then maybe a nice paint job at each school - now Im asking too much).  

On a side note, I would love to see an upgrade and renovation to Bulldog Stadium and for Graham to get it's own stadium. The Graham-Bluefield game could still be played at Mitchell each year with a split gate.

The current Budget in Virginia is offering up $500 million for school construction and renovation.  Would be nice for some of the local systems to land sone of that, if it happens.

8 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Middle school girl drama got nothing on this thread 😂.

Fun times! 

To be fair — my original comment wasn’t meant to cause drama. It was a TIC rib at some of those on here (who I consider friends) who called Richlands the SWVA All-Stars back in the day. Never meant for it to go where it did. 😅

My predictions for next football season are that: There will be a 10 game season; There will be a lot of blowouts and close games; Union fans will complain if they go undefeated and unscored on during the regular season but lose in the second round if the playoffs; The QB play will be the key to all the contenders contending; No team from Southwest Virginia will win a championship until Appomattox and Riverheads combine and move to 4A. You could call them Rivermattox or Appoheads! Threads like this are really crazy to have because no body knows, there are too much speculation anyway, and in football season to many other variables like weather, injuries and coaching changes, transfers, your starting QB's love life or your starting tackle's mindset on getting lucky after the game with the cute cheerleader! Just let it happen, as it happens and enjoy the game we all love! Here's to better days and football forever!

9 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

There may not be anything left if they pressure wash a few of these schools.

To quote Clubber Lang , my prediction is pain lots of pain , champions are good as well as lucky, the stars have to align and injuries must be kept at minimum. Appomattox, Union and the GMEN can attest to that, sometimes one man can make you or break you . KW was the healthiest football team in the final 8 and they took home the title. If Graham and KW both played healthy , well who knows what may have happened 

15 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Most states are 5 years and 60 years old (one would receive a very minimal retirement check , like $500 a month.  It's not like they get full retirement for 5 years of work. You always hear people talk about getting two retirements, not exactly.   I think getting a retirement from Virginia plus a salary for those 5 years or so, then an additonal $500 or $600 a month on top of your retirement after that is appealing.   SC may be 8 years.

Absolutely.  With any pension, the more time you have in, the more you get.  Civil Service-Government Workers, if they retire after 10 years, they aren't getting as much as they would than if they retired after 20 or even 30 or 40 years.  I just looked up South Carolina's.  I'm reading 8 years.  You have to have taught, be in the system for 8 years in order to be vested, which means, you receive at least "some" type of a pension.  Again, if you have been there 20 years, you obviously are getting more bucks every month compared to the person that had only 8 years. 

14 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Arguing over were he's gonna live in 2 years come on. Let's talk about firing coaches or transfers you know intellectual conversation

Mance is one of my heroes.  I love the guy.  He's a winner, from the time he was a player to a coach, and more important, to the kind of person he is.  The conversation was centered more on his coaching situation versus where he lives.  It's very relevant to this board because Mance is a Giles guy and a Richlands guy.  He's one of SWVA's very own, and lets face it, High School Football is over for this year.  Have to talk about something.   Also, we've talked about Powell Valley's Phil Robbins and even Turner at Appalachia many times including Graham's Carlock and Ragsdale at Giles.  All of these names have since long been removed from coaching, but we still talk about em.  All of them put the work in and did enough good that their memories, those people deserve to be talked about some.  They earned it.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Mance is one of my heroes.  I love the guy.  He's a winner, from the time he was a player to a coach, and more important, to the kind of person he is.  The conversation was centered more on his coaching situation versus where he lives.  It's very relevant to this board because Mance is a Giles guy and a Richlands guy.  He's one of SWVA's very own, and lets face it, High School Football is over for this year.  Have to talk about something.   Also, we've talked about Powell Valley's Phil Robbins and even Turner at Appalachia many times including Graham's Carlock and Ragsdale at Giles.  All of these names have since long been removed from coaching, but we still talk about em.  All of them put the work in and did enough good that their memories, those people deserve to be talked about some.  They earned it.

That's fine to talk about his stint at Richlands and his success but it started going in a completely different direction towards the end

13 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

That's fine to talk about his stint at Richlands and his success but it started going in a completely different direction towards the end

Don't read it then....I've seen dumber stuff on here but I don't make a point to complain about it...I just bypass it and laugh

33 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Don't read it then....I've seen dumber stuff on here but I don't make a point to complain about it...I just bypass it and laugh

Yes I've said many stupid things on here myself.  But it's hard to know something is stupid without reading it first.  Seasons over just bored

On 11/19/2021 at 9:47 PM, SWVAgridiron said:

Proud of how my Spartans done this season. PM was just the better team and won the battle at the LOS. They very well could’ve put this game out of reach if they would’ve kept passing because our pass D is non existent but they just kept pounding us and took a lot of time off the clock. Giles may have had the ball a total of 6 minutes in the second half. Hopefully the line we have returning will spend a lot of time in the weight room in the off season. And by some miracle hopefully we can be like Graham and get us a good transfer to put at tailback next season…. (Kidding G-Men) 

On 12/17/2021 at 7:52 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

You said before year Giles would be playing for state title next year haha

Being a Giles fan be kinda stupid to say they don't have a chance. If you don't have faith in your team why watch sports. My son plays for Giles and I said the same thing and I'll say it for next year. If Giles plays like they are capable they have just as good a shot as GW or Galax or PM....... HEY HUNTER I KNOW YOU PLAY FOR GILES BUT YALL SUCK AND DONT HAVE A PRAYER OF WINNING SHIT WTFE

1 hour ago, Giles hokie53 said:

Being a Giles fan be kinda stupid to say they don't have a chance. If you don't have faith in your team why watch sports. My son plays for Giles and I said the same thing and I'll say it for next year. If Giles plays like they are capable they have just as good a shot as GW or Galax or PM....... HEY HUNTER I KNOW YOU PLAY FOR GILES BUT YALL SUCK AND DONT HAVE A PRAYER OF WINNING SHIT WTFE

Where did I say they don't have a chance? Don't put words in my mouth... good grief a little wound up huh

• 3 weeks later...

In the mt 7 I think it going to be this i do not include Abingdon since they are 3A.

1.Ridgeview- they have one year to try to run it this is the season, but can they finally beat the Bears.

2.Union with a really close game with Ridgeview that might go either way.

3. Central. This may surprise a lot of ppl but the talent  doesn't stop coming for the next 6 years they going to be in the hunt 

4. Lee High with a lot of returning players and Pending the QB stays healthy they liable to sneak up on ppl

5. Gate City

Cumberland district is a hard one to call but lets give it a jab

1. Twin Springs I think this coach is pretty special believes in the program and the kids are believing in him he makes them want to be better

2. Ryecove with the up and coming talent they have for the next few years there going to ball out

3. Norton they where down last year but a lot of returning players and a coach that really wants to win

4. Eastside still a young team they probably number wise should dominate the Cumberland and be a contender for state every year but for some reason cant put it all together.

5. Castlewood they always are hit or miss

6. thomas walker they have a few kids that will be sophmores this year i wouldn't be surprised if they don't jump to the 3 spot pretty easy.

Southwest:

1 Gmen hard to deny they produce good teams but the talent pull is starting to get low

2. Richlands they will be good maybe back to the richlands of old

3. Marion

4. Tazewell

5. Va high