Predictions for Next Season

generallyspeaking

1 hour ago, BKFootball said:

In the mt 7 I think it going to be this i do not include Abingdon since they are 3A.

1.Ridgeview- they have one year to try to run it this is the season, but can they finally beat the Bears.

2.Union with a really close game with Ridgeview that might go either way.

3. Central. This may surprise a lot of ppl but the talent  doesn't stop coming for the next 6 years they going to be in the hunt 

4. Lee High with a lot of returning players and Pending the QB stays healthy they liable to sneak up on ppl

5. Gate City

Cumberland district is a hard one to call but lets give it a jab

1. Twin Springs I think this coach is pretty special believes in the program and the kids are believing in him he makes them want to be better

2. Ryecove with the up and coming talent they have for the next few years there going to ball out

3. Norton they where down last year but a lot of returning players and a coach that really wants to win

4. Eastside still a young team they probably number wise should dominate the Cumberland and be a contender for state every year but for some reason cant put it all together.

5. Castlewood they always are hit or miss

6. thomas walker they have a few kids that will be sophmores this year i wouldn't be surprised if they don't jump to the 3 spot pretty easy.

Southwest:

1 Gmen hard to deny they produce good teams but the talent pull is starting to get low

2. Richlands they will be good maybe back to the richlands of old

3. Marion

4. Tazewell

5. Va high

Is John Battle too bad to mention in the M7??

1 hour ago, BKFootball said:

In the mt 7 I think it going to be this i do not include Abingdon since they are 3A.

1.Ridgeview- they have one year to try to run it this is the season, but can they finally beat the Bears.

3. Central. This may surprise a lot of ppl but the talent  doesn't stop coming for the next 6 years they going to be in the hunt 

4. Lee High with a lot of returning players and Pending the QB stays healthy they liable to sneak up on ppl

5. Gate City

1. Twin Springs I think this coach is pretty special believes in the program and the kids are believing in him he makes them want to be better

2. Ryecove with the up and coming talent they have for the next few years there going to ball out

3. Norton they where down last year but a lot of returning players and a coach that really wants to win

4. Eastside still a young team they probably number wise should dominate the Cumberland and be a contender for state every year but for some reason cant put it all together.

6. thomas walker they have a few kids that will be sophmores this year i wouldn't be surprised if they don't jump to the 3 spot pretty easy.

Southwest:

1 Gmen hard to deny they produce good teams but the talent pull is starting to get low

3. Marion

4. Tazewell

5. Va high

Did you watch SWD Football this past year?

53 minutes ago, BKFootball said:

Yeah I just think Marion gets better next year that’s just my opinion

Marion returns every skill position on offense that started the last 2 games of the season and only has to replace 2 lineman. They did lose 2 pretty good D line man and a run stopping safety on defense but they had a freshman class of 20 last year. If they hire the right head coach they should be improved for sure. 

3 hours ago, BKFootball said:

5. Gate City

Southwest:

3. Marion

4. Tazewell

5. Va high

I will eat my shoe if Marion places above Tazewell in the SWD next year.

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I will eat my shoe if Marion places above Tazewell in the SWD next year.

I don't want to be cryptic or "that guy," but if MSHS/SCSB decides to hire a particular applicant that I know has expressed interest, you might want to get a bottle of A1 to go with your shoe leather.

22 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

I don't want to be cryptic or "that guy," but if MSHS/SCSB decides to hire a particular applicant that I know has expressed interest, you might want to get a bottle of A1 to go with your shoe leather.

They could hire Nick Saban…it’s not happening in 2022.  There’s just not enough Jimmies and Joes.  That being said, these things are cyclical, and Marion knows has put up ridiculous 9-1 seasons out of thin air before.

I recall way back in the day in the 80's, a nasty fullback named "Puckett" for Marion that liked to run over top of people, then wait for them to get back up so he could run over top of them again for a second time (okay, that's hyperbole) but he was a first class bad a**, and the Scarlet Hurricane went 10-0  in regular season and got upset to Paul Wheeler's Virginia High Bearcats in the Region Title Game.  They had beat the Bearcats soundly in game one of the regular season, but the turnover fueled Marion team coughed up too many times in the Region Title game and the Bearcats went on to lose against Martinsville the following week in the state semi's, and Martinsville took a fist to the face against the Terry Kirby and Chris Slade (future Pro Football Players and UVA Wahoos) led Tabb Tigers in the state title game.  Marion might have had its best team ever in 1987.

Speaking of Slade, he was just hired on the Defensive Side of the Ball at UVA and joins their coaching ranks.  Also, sometimes I've heard this by fans in SWVA over the years regarding the 1990 Lee High Team that lost to Tabb in the State Title game and that Tabb team having Slade or Kirby or both on that team (depending on which story is told over the last 30 years).  Both Kirby and Slade were not on that Tabb team in 1990.  Both were in Charlottesville in 1990.  Some reading this may have no clue what I'm talking about, so it doesn't apply to you, but I personally have been told on about 3 different occasions and read on here perhaps on 3 different occasions that the Tabb team that beat Lee had Kirby and Slade on it.  Well, that Tabb team didn't have either one.  

11 hours ago, BKFootball said:

5. Gate City

Southwest:

3. Marion

4. Tazewell

5. Va high

Graham will have more kids with talent on next years squad then they did on this years.  Just wont have 2 guys going D-1.  They have some very good young talent coming up. 

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham will have more kids with talent on next years squad then they did on this years.  Just wont have 2 guys going D-1.  They have some very good young talent coming up. 

The Isabelle kid might be a future Div 1 Linebacker like his father was. He'll come into his own starting next August at Graham and Region D will be faced with a nasty linebacker on its hands that will create lots of problems for opponents.

20 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The Isabelle kid might be a future Div 1 Linebacker like his father was. He'll come into his own starting next August at Graham and Region D will be faced with a nasty linebacker on its hands that will create lots of problems for opponents.

Yes.  Omarri Hill will be somebody to watch on the line.  He did great as a freshman.  Cant wait to see Connor Roberts during his senior season.  Tydrez Clements will be a junior.  The Edwards kid has a lot of potential and there are a couple more young skill players that could be very dangerous given a year or 2.  Linebackers should be solid with Hughes, Meadows and Isabelle.  Couple more athletes away from making another deep run next season.

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Yes.  Omarri Hill will be somebody to watch on the line.  He did great as a freshman.  Cant wait to see Connor Roberts during his senior season.  Tydrez Clements will be a junior.  The Edwards kid has a lot of potential and there are a couple more young skill players that could be very dangerous given a year or 2.  Linebackers should be solid with Hughes, Meadows and Isabelle.  Couple more athletes away from making another deep run next season.

What about Sawyers?

15 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

What about Sawyers?

Sawyers was the most improved player in my opinion from start of the season until he was injured. It was a huge loss not having him & Blevins on defense the final game. Graham managed up until that game without them but it was hard to stop all the outside runs minus him & Blevins to defend. He'll be back & I'm sure even better. 

On 1/14/2022 at 10:22 AM, Jags52 said:

Marion returns every skill position on offense that started the last 2 games of the season and only has to replace 2 lineman. They did lose 2 pretty good D line man and a run stopping safety on defense but they had a freshman class of 20 last year. If they hire the right head coach they should be improved for sure. 

I’m curious on who the right coach for them would be? Because they are going to walk into a tough situation whoever it may be, and the SWD isn’t exactly a cake walk. Marion could improve as a team and still lose the same amount of games for the next few years. 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:27 AM, BKFootball said:

5. Gate City

Southwest:

3. Marion

4. Tazewell

5. Va high

So Rye Cove gonna jump from 0-17 last two years to 2nd in the Cumberland lol

Gonna be hard for a bunch of 15-16 year old holdbacks who have beat up on 12 and 13 year old kids for two years to come in and make that jump to competing with older kids, but time will tell I suppose. 

Plus, I am sure there are a bunch of coaches chomping at the bit to return the favor for some of the scores of those middle school games. 

Don’t get me wrong, from what I hear they have a better group of players coming than they have had the past few years, as well as a new coach. Just think the expectations are a little unrealistic for a group that obviously has an uphill climb.

3 hours ago, 276 for the win said:

I’m curious on who the right coach for them would be? Because they are going to walk into a tough situation whoever it may be, and the SWD isn’t exactly a cake walk. Marion could improve as a team and still lose the same amount of games for the next few years. 

I agree the SWD is very tough. I but Marion had a group of athletes back in 17 that made a run and had some success. I’m not claiming a state championship but they should be competitive 7-3 is a great year IMO for Marion 

Next season, I see it something like this.

SWD

1.  Graham - lost a few very good starters.  Return the rest of the HOUSE.  I believe they beat Bluefield for the 2nd straight season for the first time in a long time. Rumors of a QB transferring in and a RB / LB transferring in also (but that may just be talk - since those will be the key positions for Graham to fill).  But if Graham is solid at the QB position and has a good short - yardage back they will be one of the favorites in 2A again.  The lineplay, despite losing Meadows will be very good again.  As several have pointed out, they need to be a little more diverse on offense and develop a short yardage passing game, they are a little too predictable.

2. Tazewell - Returning a lot of very good young skill players and young linemen who will only get better.  If the lineplay improves somewhat, Creasy and his receivers will be very fun to watch.  I think they will have a couple of decent Running Backs as well.  Tazewell may have more quality skill guys on the field next season then Graham, however if they want to have a chance against Graham, they will need to live in the weightroom to match Graham's physicality.

3. Richlands - Improved a lot throughout the season this past season, but lost some key players.

4. V-High - Lost a lot, but returns a few good players, not sure if they shouldn't be 3rd.

5. Marion. - They return a lot, sure, but not enough to compete in the SWD, they may sneak up and win a district game this year.

M7 - Don't know as much about the M7, but here goes...

1. Ridgeview

2. Union

3. Central

4. Gate City

5. Lee

18 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

SWD

1.  Graham - lost a few very good starters.  Return the rest of the HOUSE.  I believe they beat Bluefield for the 2nd straight season for the first time in a long time. Rumors of a QB transferring in and a RB / LB transferring in also (but that may just be talk - since those will be the key positions for Graham to fill).  But if Graham is solid at the QB position and has a good short - yardage back they will be one of the favorites in 2A again.  The lineplay, despite losing Meadows will be very good again.  As several have pointed out, they need to be a little more diverse on offense and develop a short yardage passing game, they are a little too predictable.

2. Tazewell - Returning a lot of very good young skill players and young linemen who will only get better.  If the lineplay improves somewhat, Creasy and his receivers will be very fun to watch.  I think they will have a couple of decent Running Backs as well.  Tazewell may have more quality skill guys on the field next season then Graham, however if they want to have a chance against Graham, they will need to live in the weightroom to match Graham's physicality.

3. Richlands - Improved a lot throughout the season this past season, but lost some key players.

4. V-High - Lost a lot, but returns a few good players, not sure if they shouldn't be 3rd.

5. Marion. - They return a lot, sure, but not enough to compete in the SWD, they may sneak up and win a district game this year.

1. Ridgeview

2. Union

3. Central

4. Gate City

5. Lee

VA High lost three starters…granted two of them are Delaney and Thomas, but I wouldn’t exactly say they lost a lot…maybe significant. 

28 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

SWD

1. Ridgeview

2. Union

3. Central

4. Gate City

5. Lee

I’d probably flip VHS and Richlands, but that’s a very reasonable list/take.

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

SWD

1. Ridgeview

2. Union

3. Central

4. Gate City

5. Lee

M7

Starts with the 3A Abingdon team.  They lost a lot of skill positions (QB,WRs, RB) but simply have more kids to pick from.  People forget that M7 teams have to beat Abingdon to win the conference.

Ridgeview- Popular pick as they return (10) starters on Offense (lose their #4 WR).  They have, IMHO, the best QB in the region (Kingsport Times offensive POY), All-State WR in Beavers, very talented WR/RB Cannon Hill and Koda Counts at WR (59 receptions).  They have to replace two All Region DL and their MLB but are very fast and athletic in D but a bit undersized.

Union- Return good amount of starters; however, they will be replacing very valuable and talented players.  They lose  All-State RB and All region LB Lomax, QB/DB Bunch, WR/DB/PR Malachi Jenkins, WR/DB C. Jenkins and a couple of OL/DL.  Should be pretty good on D but O will take a step back.

Central- Devastating lose of talent on both sides of the ball plus will be breaking in a new head coach.  They lose  (3) All-State defensive guys in LB Tester, DB Mullins and DL L. Mullins.  They also lose All Region LB in Boggs. On offense they lose Mr Everything, Ethan Mullins, RB/TE Tester, 3 OL (All Region Center), RB Boggs, WR Sartin. 

Lee- Returns their QB and some skill positions and a good nucleus of OL/DL.  They will be improved and should challenge for a playoff spot again.

Gate City loses Carson Jenkins, the most overlooked explosive player in the M7 last season.

John Battle-  Poor damn John Battle.  

M7

1. RV

2. Union

3. Abingdon

4. Gate City (lineplay enough to overcome Lee, Central, and Battle).

5. Lee (coaching)

6. Central

7. Battle

SWD

1. Graham

2. Richlands- loses Webb and the QB, and is forced to play power football which is what they should have been doing anyway for the past 20 years. It will pay off by accident. 

3. Tazewell, Tazewell could be 2 and Richlands 3. I think it's a tossup/close game with those two anyway.

4. Va

5. Marion

Only my opinion, pure guess

6 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

M7

1. RV

2. Union

3. Abingdon

4. Gate City (lineplay enough to overcome Lee, Central, and Battle).

5. Lee (coaching)

6. Central

7. Battle

SWD

1. Graham

2. Richlands- loses Webb and the QB, and is forced to play power football which is what they should have been doing anyway for the past 20 years. It will pay off by accident. 

3. Tazewell, Tazewell could be 2 and Richlands 3. I think it's a tossup/close game with those two anyway.

4. Va

5. Marion

Only my opinion, pure guess

It will be interesting watching Richlands and Tazewell this year.  Tazewell is more talented but I wonder if they will be able to get past their Richlands block.  Also, Va High still returns some talent but they have to learn how to play defense.