Predictions for Next Season

generallyspeaking

On 5/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, SwvaOG said:

A lot of rumors out there for sure.  I’ve spoke to that family about it as I know the uncle well.  He said if the QB leaves, Beavers is gone, 100%…but I was told some bigger schools are talking to them so I don’t think it is just a Richlands thing.  The dad is pretty vocal about RV’s lack of focus and all the drama.

A lot of talk about these two great players, but I wonder where this would leave arguably the best player on the Ridgeview roster, Cannon Hill

5 hours ago, BuckUp said:

A lot of talk about these two great players, but I wonder where this would leave arguably the best player on the Ridgeview roster, Cannon Hill

Well…if the other two were gone then Hill would be keyed on a lot.  Hill is a good player but he’s the third best offensive player in that offense.  He has the talent to be one of the most dominant defensive players in the region but he is inconsistent.  Felt the other RV LB was less talented but more consistent. Kid is way more athletically gifted than the Tester kid from Central but the Tester kid was in on almost every play.

I predict that if those 2 leave Ridgeview, then Graham claims the region D crown again.  If they stay at Ridgeview, the edge goes to Ridgeview, they     were young and full of talent last year....unless Graham gets a key transfer or 2, particularly a running back that can spell Clements and be a short yardage back.  If not, I think the Edwards kid can step into that role with another year under his belt, he performed pretty well as a freshman last year when they put him in there.   At QB they will be pretty good again with the younger Meadows stepping in, he was slated to start last season until he got hurt, if you Graham fans recall.  Not much of a difference between him and Z. Blevins.  Both have good arms and the ability to run and both can run over top of you.  Graham will have a plethora of receivers to choose from coming up.  A lot of young talent at that position.  I am interested to see how Blake Graham comes along, he looked to be a diamond in the rough last season.  I am also interested to see how Aiden Wallace does at TE.  I expect him to be utilized more in the passing game.  He made an excellent catch in the corner of the end-zone in the title game at the end of the season.  He would be a big target and if he has good hands, I would utilize him once in a while in the passing game.  Looks like he could run through some tackles as well, big frame and very strong kid.

I think in the SouthWest District, it will be Graham followed by Tazewell, Va High and Richlands.   In the M7, it will be Ridgeview, followed by Central, Union and Gate City.  If those kids transfer, then put Ridgeview in 3rd or 4th.  (Not counting Abingdon in the M7).

In Region C,  Appo lost a lot, but return a couple of key players.  Radford is my prediction to win C.  No way will there be a team come out of A or B that was as good as King William was last year.  that team was spectacular.  They lost those huge linemen, the QB and the fastest kid I've ever seen at the High School level in Claiborne.  

21 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I predict that if those 2 leave Ridgeview, then Graham claims the region D crown again.  If they stay at Ridgeview, the edge goes to Ridgeview, they     were young and full of talent last year....unless Graham gets a key transfer or 2, particularly a running back that can spell Clements and be a short yardage back.  If not, I think the Edwards kid can step into that role with another year under his belt, he performed pretty well as a freshman last year when they put him in there.   At QB they will be pretty good again with the younger Meadows stepping in, he was slated to start last season until he got hurt, if you Graham fans recall.  Not much of a difference between him and Z. Blevins.  Both have good arms and the ability to run and both can run over top of you.  Graham will have a plethora of receivers to choose from coming up.  A lot of young talent at that position.  I am interested to see how Blake Graham comes along, he looked to be a diamond in the rough last season.  I am also interested to see how Aiden Wallace does at TE.  I expect him to be utilized more in the passing game.  He made an excellent catch in the corner of the end-zone in the title game at the end of the season.  He would be a big target and if he has good hands, I would utilize him once in a while in the passing game.  Looks like he could run through some tackles as well, big frame and very strong kid.

I think in the SouthWest District, it will be Graham followed by Tazewell, Va High and Richlands.   In the M7, it will be Ridgeview, followed by Central, Union and Gate City.  If those kids transfer, then put Ridgeview in 3rd or 4th.  (Not counting Abingdon in the M7).

In Region C,  Appo lost a lot, but return a couple of key players.  Radford is my prediction to win C.  No way will there be a team come out of A or B that was as good as King William was last year.  that team was spectacular.  They lost those huge linemen, the QB and the fastest kid I've ever seen at the High School level in Claiborne.  

I think you have to go with Graham until someone beats them.  Graham knows how to win and RV is just learning.  I think Union will be just fine and actually may knock off RV as RV has shown they aren’t consistently prepared for big games.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, BuckUp said:

My guess is Hill would move to QB

My prediction is that Galax plays for the state title.  I hope I'm wrong and Giles can surpass em.  What are the odds?  I don't know, but I know this.  Going back to about 2013ish or so, lets just say 10 years.  How many times has Galax won the region?  How many times has Galax won the semi-final game and played for the state title, not to mention winning a state title.  Galax, 50 years from now will be known as having a great run in SWVA (and there is still no indication it's over) but lets just say hypothetically, it's over.  (Again, I don't think it is, but lets say it is).  What they have done the last 10 years in Virginia Single A ball could and would be talked about for 80 years across the state, if Riverheads had not gone on a run that has now likely topped Southampton in the 70's, Hampton in the 90's, Phoebus in the 2000's.  It's borderline unprecedented, but Galax, if having a normal Eastern opponent in these title games over the past years, if the team were just a normal Eastern (top level) 1A school for that given year playing for a state title, Galax has at least 3 more titles in my opinion, and their run would start to rival the Hampton of the 90's, Southampton of the 70's.  I don't think this is hyperbole.  I think Galax has been a near miss for one of Virginia's greatest runs in history, and it's still been a great run (even with Riverheads) but the timing is incredible bad luck (in one sense) when considering Riverheads has just pulled something not seen before in the state of Virginia at the exact same time.  

With what Galax has done the last 10 years, even as a Giles fan, one has to be nuts to pick against them to Not play for another state title, at least from the perspective of before the season starts.  With this written, am I going out on a limb by picking Galax to win Region C and win the state semifinal game?  Uhhhh, No, clearly not.

You can go back and find it in this forum somewhere. I suggested a few years ago, Galax had a group of kids in middle school that would compete for multiple state championships. That group of kids will all be in high school this coming fall, ranging from the senior class to the freshman class. It's a remarkable run that happens to coincide with a more remarkable run coming out of Augusta County. I'm not complaining. What Galax has accomplished since 2010 is remarkable. But it's hard to look past how inept VHSL has been in creating classifications.

I don't know how long this will last for Galax. My kids are old enough now that I'm just not aware of what is coming through the middle school. What I can say, before my daughter began driving herself in January, I would drop her off at the high school at 6:30 every morning for the shuttle to Governor School in Pulaski. The parking lot is right next door to the weight room/film room entry. Three dozen kids (at least) ranging in age from 12 to 18, all on time, showing up for weight training and film study before school. It's impressive to see in person. Especially when you see every football player of driving age bringing a couple of 7th graders with them. That's how culture and legacy is built. 

18 minutes ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Here is a prediction for you based on today’s news from Earl Cole Inc., Ronnie Davis will replace Tarter at some point during the season as HC of Richlands. Tarter will step away voluntarily or step back his duties. 

None of this would even be a discussion if they had chosen Davis over Thad Wells. Talk about hindsight, lol. I hate it for Graham but best wishes to Coach Davis. 

Somebody pointed me in the direction of Thad Wells Twitter profile picture the other day. You can hear his wife saying "we've taken this effing picture five times in eight years. The next move, you're own your own a**hole!" from the picture.

38 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Somebody pointed me in the direction of Thad Wells Twitter profile picture the other day. You can hear his wife saying "we've taken this effing picture five times in eight years. The next move, you're own your own a**hole!" from the picture.

Rachael is way too nice to say those things. She 100% supports him wherever their path goes to next. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Rachael is way too nice to say those things. She 100% supports him wherever their path goes to next. 

The look on her face says something completely different. I don't know them and don't care to be honest. Just thought it was fitting and funny.

At this point, I hope he owns stock in Uhaul or Ryder. 

On 5/11/2022 at 2:44 PM, BKFootball said:

Didn't someone on here say Tazwell got a lot of good players coming up through the middle school division?  Watched them play the G men on nfhs um maybe I am missing something.

Hard to find a role for 51 players, which is historically more than double the usual number.  The coaching staff worked more to develop the kids than gunning for a gaudy W-L record.  As a result, Tazewell will have a bonafide JV team for the first time in a while.  On the varsity level, there will be some meaningful additions this year that will play early and often.